The 'swipe' Vs The 'full Wear'

Discussion in 'General' started by Louis Miller, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

I know this piece of advice dear Sproaty will accept.

Please consider me IN to share.

Grega, Sproaty, Louis Miller and 3 others like this.
  2. Louis Miller

Louis Miller Whats this Oud About?

Very helpful feedback! Oud practices vary widely, it seems, from person to person. Some have highly sensitivnise noses.

The chest application sounds like an interesting way to acheive the 'aura'. But when we want a sniff, we appear to be diving underneath our shirts to smell our chest.

Sproaty likes this.
  3. Sproaty

Sproaty Boudly

haha :)

I would! However I'm a bit of a loner so I hardly see anyone besides work colleagues. I took Oud Yusuf & People's Ceylon (EO) to work and swipes 2 colleagues who absolutely hated them - so much for the whole "prettiest oud" labels! I think People's Ceylon is more wearable and newbie-friendly but I was told Yusuf smelled like faeces. I put a tiny dab on my boss' wrist and he said that later on, when he went to pick his sons up they asked "ugh! What's that smell?" as they got into his car!

ok sorry I'm derailing the thread too much now! I hope someone else applies as much as I do !

4. powdernose

powdernose Oud Sprite

Through the postal system Sproaty ;).
    Finding an ouddict around the corner is as likely as striking a vein of gold while surfing across the clouds in the sky.

Unlikely! :Devilish::p

Maybe try a Borneo type with softer topnotes, i.e. Alsukar - Habzoud

Spray them with some vintage Fahrenheit, to make it up to them :).

For what it's worth I use very little oud on the wrists.
    I mostly have a perfume on the chest concurrently, one for the people, one for me.

Aleata, Sproaty, jalil and 1 other person like this.
  5. PEARL

PEARL Guerrilla

Essential oils like Oud are all over the place in terms of projection, with no rhyme or reason that I've yet to come up with in speaking with several distillers. There are varying levels of projection, within and among essential oils from the different vendors, regions, profiles, price range, etc. Rose for me when worn neat projects well, and typically dominates heavier notes in composition, especially in the opening and that's given that it's used in much smaller ratio.

Agarwood essential oils are all over the place, take some Cambodians such as Pursat 2005, Kambodi '76 and Au Luong which have lighter projection, versus Kuzen and Oud Mostafa 5 which have stronger projection, IMO. Same goes for every other region, profile, etc. some project well and some don't.

If your primary concern when wearing oud is projection, talk with the vendor and sample before purchasing a larger amount to ensure that oil is up to snuff for you. Also, if projection is your primary concern, then strong projecting oils will be more economical as you will use less to create the desired effect.

Some things you can do to improve projection is to wear more of those oils that project lightly, use on exposed areas such as the arms when wearing short sleeves, or apply directly on clothing or hair.

jalil, Arsalan, Sproaty and 3 others like this.
  6. Oudian

Oudian Whats this Oud About?

Depends on the oud oil. I use a dab on each side of my neck, couple on my chest, and small swipes on tops of hands and inside wrists.

7. PersonelHigh

PersonelHigh Whats this Oud About?

I have been looking for a thread to ask how to do a clean swipe? Thanks!

8. Sproaty

Sproaty Boudly

I believe it means not re-using an applicator, so each swipe doesn't place a "used" applicator back into the bottle

PersonelHigh likes this.
  9. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

Projection varies, and so does liking for projection. I have nothing to do with projection as I do my level best not to swipe before going out of the house. I prefer wearing at night or early in the morning. Second, I always found a dab enough for my olfactory to enjoy the fragrant wafts. If I have to review some oil, first I sniff the neck of the bottle for a couple of days to register the oil or attar's primary aroma, then I draw out the applicator and inhale the fragrance that comes to me from the bottle. Fragrance gets changed. And third, I dab a bit on my wrist to study the changes that are the result of intrinsic scent of skin and the oil. But when I have to enjoy till maximum, I dab some oil on moustache. So, a dab is more than full wear for/to me:Roflmao:.

Aleata, Joe King and PersonelHigh like this.
  10. Aleata

Aleata Oud Mood

That is the question : ) !
    I usually put the oil on my mustache, but be careful, it is highly addictive and once you start that way it is hard to come back.

Rai Munir likes this.
  11. Aleata

Aleata Oud Mood

That is right... Like Rai Munir once said : "less is more".

Rai Munir likes this.
  12. Aleata

Aleata Oud Mood

e
    I can smell it from here, my God....!

Sproaty likes this.
  13. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

Exactly, it is highly addictive indeed. But whosoever wants to wear oils on moustache, be very careful. Extreme dryness can damage cheeks, nostrils and nasal cavities.

Musk causes more dryness than Oud.

Aleata and Sproaty like this.
  14. PersonelHigh

PersonelHigh Whats this Oud About?

I don't have a mustache. For now it's mostly non-existent, but as I do take after my Nonna, god willing, with time I will see that fur of her's in the mirror and I might indulge this technique of yours. Until then you've sprouted an idea. Probably not as directionally appropriate but why not try my eyebrows? (My husband suggests a fake mustache.)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    Joe King likes this.

Promote Oud!