Regulatory Issues and IFRA

Discussion in 'IFRA and Synthetics vs Natural' started by Ouddict, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Ouddict

Ouddict Technical Support

IFRA has compiled a list of prohibitive naturally aromatic materials that in effect, minimise the ability of natural perfumers to create a wide range of perfumes. This is the claim. Wondering how true this is?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    Nikhil S likes this.
  2. Alexander Oudh

Alexander Oudh Whats this Oud About?

Honestly, I do not see how this can be true unless the source of the natural fragrances are deemed protected under CBD, CITES, CMS, Ramsar or the World Heritage Convention.

IFRA has rules for more than just perfumer's. Their main objective is to determine the safety of fragrant petrochemicals produced for consumer goods. The IFRA also wouldn't outright ban a fragrance compound unless one of its Ordinary Member Organizations did so first.

Hope this helps

Mandeel AlMandeel likes this.
  3. Ouddict

I’m referring to the extensive debate that has been conducted regarding the IFRA regulations. Many natural perfumers feel that they unfairly encroach on their options. I think Anya McCoys Natural Perfumery Guild website has a lot of interesting information on this.

4. Ouddict

5. Mellifluence

Mellifluence Oud Fan

Some of the users on Basenotes make some very good points, they are restricting some natural materials without good reason and allowing some very unpleasant chemicals to still be used. I have many allergies to synthetic aroma compounds and very rarely have an allergic response to a natural essential oil or absolute.
    This may also fit in with Agenda 24 which is a slow destruction of all natural medicine, i remember reading about this a long time ago and it is still slowly working it's way into regulations.
    It is also part of the ultra sensitive EU nanny laws which are treating us more like children all the time, restricting more of what we say and do assuming all people are stupid, unfortunately many are but that shouldn't tar everyone.

Aleata, RoyalFrag, ZZM and 5 others like this.
  6. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

Very right, respected Abdullah. I couldn't ever understand this IFRA mania that has always been referred to for authentication of what is acknowledged authentic universally. Anyway, the multinational monsters are always there to fabricate to finagle. Anyway, we have to live with this IFRA-isms and any forum-istic cults.

Synthetic aroma causes a sore throat whenever I smell some perfume. No exception.

Grega, ZZM and Mellifluence like this.
  7. Mellifluence

Mellifluence Oud Fan

I agree, it serves multinational companies interest and not the citizens, so when a regulation is made, their chemicals sell more, i think they want to eliminate competition from small companies, especially natural ones.
    When those companies gain so much money and power a huge conflict of interest occurs that is going unchecked, their greed affects the health of all citizens. I remember Greenpeace analyzed many synthetic perfumes and found so many contained hormone altering chemicals that have a negative effect on health.
    When natural ingredients are used, the side effects are generally beneficial rather than having any negative impacts on the body.

Yaminaz, RoyalFrag, EHV and 2 others like this.
  8. F4R1d0uX

F4R1d0uX Resident Artisan

Yes I agree, If I remember well, they analysed white musk from "the body shop" :confused: it hurts ...

RoyalFrag likes this.
  9. Mellifluence

Mellifluence Oud Fan

Here is a list of the essential oils and absolutes that are prohibited or restricted if anyone is interested:

https://essentialoils.co.za/banned-oils.htm

Quite a few of the oils i love and use are on the banned list, i use Liquidamber orientalis raw on the skin and have never had any issues.
    I understand juniper oxidises very quickly making it potentially carcinogenic if it is aged, but not likely as much as denatured alcohol which is used profusely and has some very unpleasant chemicals in there.

"Denatured alcohol is ethanol with other additives, which makes it unfavorable for drink. This is also known as methylated spirits because earlier, the main additive for this was methanol, which is about 10%. Other than methanol, other additives like isopropyl alcohol, acetone, methyl ethyl ketone, methyl isobutyl ketone, and denatonium are also added to make denatured alcohol. Addition of these extra molecules doesn’t affect the chemical nature of the ethanol but makes it highly poisonous."

This is quoted from https://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-isopropyl-alcohol-and-vs-denatured-alcohol/

EHV likes this.

Promote Oud!