Questions About The Psychoactive Powers Of Oud

Discussion in 'General' started by Louis Miller, Aug 12, 2018.

1. jalil

jalil Oud bully Staff Member

You are a bit late my friend...a war has already been fought :Ninja:

I have nothing against a good debate...but please respect the elders :thumbsup:

2. PEARL

PEARL Guerrilla

Dearest @Rai Munir I’ve been involved in many a heated discussion, so I can not presume to know exactly which you refer. Rest assured though, that in each there was no activation or loss of temper, it’s a nonessential but fun Internet forum, I can’t and don’t take it that seriously. In each case, disappointment was there, however mild. Disappointment that I gave the benefit of the doubt in assigning intelligence and the faculty of perception to some to know that I’m not a puppet or spokesman and have my own mind.

As salaamu alaykum and welcome to the forum @Sarfraz, it's obvious and by your own admission, you’ve been “stung” and want to let the world know, but when nearly every conversation leads to your “secret blame” it gets old, quick. While it has not happened to me, I do empathize and don’t mean to make light of it happening to anyone else. I’ve seen it mentioned enough long ago, and most have, to know that where there’s smoke there’s also fire or at least something burning, so I don’t doubt it’s existence. When transaction goes awry there should be outrospection and introspection, not just blame.

To see me as respected member, I am in like company, all are included.

3. peter4ptv

peter4ptv Member

I kind of like your post, but………………….

<<<<<<<I actually have Oud Kaaba and can prove it, I have 5 full bottles of EO Oud, one of which you may never have heard of, it cost $2500 for 3ml>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

<<<<<<<<My conclusion is simple, Oud’s not that expensive, it’s been made expensive by people like you who accept the status quo.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If I can understand correctly, you are the person who helped “the status quo”

I have not heard yet that @PEARL has spent $2500 on a 3 ml. oil, or maybe he has?

PEARL, Joe King and MzM like this.
  4. peter4ptv

peter4ptv Member

reading the post you just explained I was like:

upload_2018-8-20_11-18-44.png

PEARL and MzM like this.
  5. Sarfraz

Sarfraz Whats this Oud About?

Re: $2500 - precisely why I’m trying to educate the people who don’t know. Spending $2500 is absurd and if I could justify it I would. In keeping with the spirit of the board I should say one whiff and you reached the skies. But it’s not like that.

Rai Munir likes this.
  6. Sarfraz

Sarfraz Whats this Oud About?

It’s a tongue in cheek comment about I secretly do. I live in the UK, there is nothing wrong with what I wrote if understood in the correct context.

7. Ouddict

Ouddict Technical Support

Sorry I just got here... who called who retarded? That kind of language is completely unacceptable on this forum. Can someone PM me so I can have a word with the individual. I cannot see it on any post.

Arsalan, MzM and peter4ptv like this.
  8. peter4ptv

peter4ptv Member

most likely the person edit it already.

Ouddict likes this.
  9. peter4ptv

peter4ptv Member

for me to pay $2500 I got to get a lot more than just reaching the skies:Roflmao::Roflmao:
    well everyone is different, some paid $10,000 and I am sure he has not reach the skies yet:D

Ouddict, MzM and jalil like this.
  10. Rasoul Salehi

Rasoul Salehi Oud Fanatic

sincere question without any intention of stirring the pot. i really am being genuine here @Sarfraz
    have you tried the likes of nha trang ltd., kyara ltd., oud ahmad, sultan ahmet, purple kinam? if so i like to think that you saw the distinct and superior quality to all of these oils. you may have not like them all but one can not like something yet understand its superior quality.

if you can DM me with any oil that you feel can go head to head or even belong in the same level of the above mentioned oils, i would be thankful and very grateful. i have searched the oud world from arab connections or japanese/chinese connections. singapore market to Gulf market. online, offline and i have not seen comparable oils like the above. i have not tried respected ASO kinam oil or the malik asiya, i am sure they would be great, but they too are in or above the price point of oils mentioned above.

Ouddict, Grega and jalil like this.
  11. Rasoul Salehi

lying on top of a highrise, the clouds looked no nearer than when i was lying on the street.

Ouddict and PEARL like this.
  12. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

Respected PEARL, you are the pearl. No doubt. I might have mis-judged the posts that I referred to. Anyway. I apologize for that. But, to be plain and to be honest, I never took the Forum as a fun Forum. Though I enjoy it a lot.

Cheers

Ouddict, peter4ptv, Grega and 2 others like this.
  13. Woodland Note

Woodland Note Oud Fan

Lots of rough discussion here about pricing, investments, business, hypes, who is right, who is wrong... and it wasn’t even the original subject of the thread...

Why can’t we just enjoy this fragrant gift of nature that is oud.
    Fragrances are like a spice for a meal called life. Let’s just enjoy it in peace... And for me a good meal that I can share with a friend who can appreciate its flavors is twice as delicious as consumed alone.

Rai Munir, AbasFrag, Joe King and 6 others like this.
  14. MzM

MzM Oud King

Yeah good point Woodland note. The original thread was about the psychoactive powers of Oud not musk. The thread was hijacked by Musk-eteers. (Some light humor) and then it just went haywire from there.;)

Rai Munir, Ouddict, Sproaty and 2 others like this.
  15. peter4ptv

peter4ptv Member

I am not surprised about rough discussions like this, they are on and off since the first oud forum on basenotes was created around 2008.
    Oud is a gift of nature, but there is many people who has spend tens of thousands on oud and at some point they realize somethings they don't like and will talk about, it was not a gift to them but a hard earned money. This rough discussions are more about the business tactics, than the oud itself.
    Even some oils are nothing short of a gift, with $550.00 mark.....;)

jalil, AbasFrag, Joe King and 4 others like this.
  16. Grega

Grega Oud Fan

I agree completely. There is a tendency in society towards conflict, especially in these times I notice that the reactive subconscious drive seeking conflict is extremely strong. This is why I don't hold it against someone who looses his temper as god knows I do the same. It is hard to resist this urge of having power over someone else, to come on top (in a debate or anywhere else) but when we give in we loose the power over ourselves. This is more important than any question of right or wrong, truth or falsehood for the only way to have any real power over yourself is by loving your neighbour. Each person has their own experiences but I see this forum as an attempt at building brotherhood and sisterhood through a common love of the art of fragrances that we here share. This is why I feel that we should put our grievances by the side, at least emotionally, to let the spirit of brotherhood guide these debates even if we are on opposite sides. For no creation of man is more important than man himself. Frankly I appreciate the vibrant characters I met here as much as the oils that I found by reading this forum. And like Woodland said, it is always better to appreciate the fine things in life with company.
    Now I will stop moralising o_O

17. Rasoul Salehi

And on that note let’s get back on track.

I wondered and still wonder if certain sesquiterpenes in Oud have a universal effect on all wearers or no.

Linalool the compound in lavender for example is said to be calming. Sedative. Sleep inducing. Limonine is sobering energizing and exciting. Humiline and Myrcene are even stronger sedatives and give one feeling of bubble head.

Oud has not one or two but dozens and dozens of these compounds that literally go to ones head. For sure certain species and distilling techniques have an effect on concentration level of each of these terpenes. In other words there should be in my opinion and based on above, a certain given strong feeling or effect on all of us when let’s say we swipe a steam distilled walla patta or low temp distilled sinesis/crassna. Except I haven’t been able to establish one yet.

Ayu, purple kinam, sultan suleiman and the malay oil from IO (I forget the name) are all strong on malay (northern? Beccariana? Makecensis?) and all leave me focused, energized and giddy! But I know gentlemen who wear these oils late in the evening in prep for bedtime. Is their nightcap so yo speak. What’s up?

Cafeine is believed to be an upper and I for one can’t sleep at night if I drink one even late afternoon. Yet I know people that need their coffee after a meal and sleep just fine. My own grandpa even says he needs it for a good night sleep. What the heck is going on?

Nicolas, PEARL, Ouddict and 5 others like this.
  18. PEARL

PEARL Guerrilla

@Rai Munir while I graciously accept, apology is unnecessary as it could have been easily seen as such.

Excellent question, IMO there are very few substances that have universal effect on all human organisms.

There are many factors and perspectives to consider in oud as psychoactive. From a medical perspective, there are many medications that are administered transdermally, IMO if agarwood oil has any psychoactive effect at all, it’s at a much higher dosage than what is worn, even with heavy application. IMO it’s the same considering the low dosage we may get in indirect inhalation of heated agarwood smoke/vapors. I wonder if any possible psychoactive effect, other than being moved by sheer enjoyment of the unique and beautiful fragrance of agarwood oil, can be attributed to placebo effect and/or what we as the user project onto the oil.

As far as Oud as psychoactive from the perspective as a Muslim, I have to agree with @Sarfraz and believe that if agarwood oil or smoke was psychoactive it would be haram.

I've seen some mention that they use agarwood oil and smoke in more esoteric manner in helping to center and concentrate when engaged in such things as yoga and meditation. From the perspective as a Muslim, if agarwood oil and smoke are used in that same manner to center and concentrate on rememberance of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala or performing Salat, that would be bid'ah and therefore haram. It could also possibly draw attention away from Allah and Salat, which should be avoided.

There are many factors to consider with Oud as health promoter/medicine. We've seen mention of health promotion effects of oud in Hadith such as that reported in Bukhari, the Prophet sallallahu alayhi wa sallam said, fear Allah on what you strangle the neck of your children due to throat sickness, rather use more of the oud of India because there are 7 cures in that oud. That oud spoken about is said to have been Saussurea costus, a species of costus or kuth, a thistle native to India (Wiki, n.d.). It further goes to say elsewhere that there are two types, Qust al Hindi and Qust al Bahri, used in medicine for treatment of colds, flu, congestion, liver problems, weak digestion, etc. and in perfumery. Based on that, it's very possible that the Oud spoken of in Hadith is not agarwood.

I understand that some choose to use natural substances, that have no formal approval, as medicine/health promoter, such as eating soursop or Gerson therapy cold-pressed juicing to cure cancer. However, from medical perspective there would need to be many, many, repeatable double blinded, clinical random controlled trials using very broad participant populations in investigating agarwood as an independent variable in affecting health versus things such as placebo, alternative medicine, etc. while removing all confounding variables in assessing agarwoods (oil or smoke) causality in health promotion; that's the quick and dirty as so much more goes into the development and approval of new "drugs". Here's a quick outline of what it would take to prove agarwood had any medical affect on a specific disorder from a medical/pharmaceutical perspective. http://www.fdareview.org/03_drug_development.php

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    Sproaty, Joe King, Rai Munir and 2 others like this.
  19. Rasoul Salehi

could very well be the case with some or even slightly true even in my own case. this i dont think applied to me in the begining of my journey as i was fully unaware of oud's "other abilities" other than simply being a fragrance when i started. i didnt know of the existence of forums or such. all i knew what when i would put surirankah senkoh on i would get a rush of energy to go and do high intensity sports. i would wear vietnamese oils and despite being well rested would have a sudden urge to take a nap.

i am also super body/emotion aware. there is something to oud even at low concentrations.

Nicolas, Sproaty, Joe King and 2 others like this.
  20. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

So nice of you, Sir.

Sproaty and Ouddict like this.

Promote Oud!