Questions About The Psychoactive Powers Of Oud

Discussion in 'General' started by Louis Miller, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Sarfraz

Sarfraz Whats this Oud About?

It’s a tongue in cheek comment about I secretly do. I live in the UK, there is nothing wrong with what I wrote if understood in the correct context.

2. Ouddict

Ouddict Technical Support

Sorry I just got here... who called who retarded? That kind of language is completely unacceptable on this forum. Can someone PM me so I can have a word with the individual. I cannot see it on any post.

Arsalan, MzM and peter4ptv like this.
  3. peter4ptv

peter4ptv Member

most likely the person edit it already.

Ouddict likes this.
  4. peter4ptv

peter4ptv Member

for me to pay $2500 I got to get a lot more than just reaching the skies:Roflmao::Roflmao:
    well everyone is different, some paid $10,000 and I am sure he has not reach the skies yet:D

Ouddict, MzM and jalil like this.
  5. Rasoul Salehi

Rasoul Salehi Oud Fanatic

sincere question without any intention of stirring the pot. i really am being genuine here @Sarfraz
    have you tried the likes of nha trang ltd., kyara ltd., oud ahmad, sultan ahmet, purple kinam? if so i like to think that you saw the distinct and superior quality to all of these oils. you may have not like them all but one can not like something yet understand its superior quality.

if you can DM me with any oil that you feel can go head to head or even belong in the same level of the above mentioned oils, i would be thankful and very grateful. i have searched the oud world from arab connections or japanese/chinese connections. singapore market to Gulf market. online, offline and i have not seen comparable oils like the above. i have not tried respected ASO kinam oil or the malik asiya, i am sure they would be great, but they too are in or above the price point of oils mentioned above.

Ouddict, Grega and jalil like this.
  6. Rasoul Salehi

lying on top of a highrise, the clouds looked no nearer than when i was lying on the street.

Ouddict and PEARL like this.
  7. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

Respected PEARL, you are the pearl. No doubt. I might have mis-judged the posts that I referred to. Anyway. I apologize for that. But, to be plain and to be honest, I never took the Forum as a fun Forum. Though I enjoy it a lot.

Cheers

Ouddict, peter4ptv, Grega and 2 others like this.
  8. Woodland Note

Woodland Note Oud Fan

Lots of rough discussion here about pricing, investments, business, hypes, who is right, who is wrong... and it wasn’t even the original subject of the thread...

Why can’t we just enjoy this fragrant gift of nature that is oud.
    Fragrances are like a spice for a meal called life. Let’s just enjoy it in peace... And for me a good meal that I can share with a friend who can appreciate its flavors is twice as delicious as consumed alone.

Rai Munir, AbasFrag, Joe King and 6 others like this.
  9. MzM

MzM Oud King

Yeah good point Woodland note. The original thread was about the psychoactive powers of Oud not musk. The thread was hijacked by Musk-eteers. (Some light humor) and then it just went haywire from there.;)

Rai Munir, Ouddict, Sproaty and 2 others like this.
  10. peter4ptv

peter4ptv Member

I am not surprised about rough discussions like this, they are on and off since the first oud forum on basenotes was created around 2008.
    Oud is a gift of nature, but there is many people who has spend tens of thousands on oud and at some point they realize somethings they don't like and will talk about, it was not a gift to them but a hard earned money. This rough discussions are more about the business tactics, than the oud itself.
    Even some oils are nothing short of a gift, with $550.00 mark.....;)

jalil, AbasFrag, Joe King and 4 others like this.
  11. Grega

Grega Oud Fan

I agree completely. There is a tendency in society towards conflict, especially in these times I notice that the reactive subconscious drive seeking conflict is extremely strong. This is why I don't hold it against someone who looses his temper as god knows I do the same. It is hard to resist this urge of having power over someone else, to come on top (in a debate or anywhere else) but when we give in we loose the power over ourselves. This is more important than any question of right or wrong, truth or falsehood for the only way to have any real power over yourself is by loving your neighbour. Each person has their own experiences but I see this forum as an attempt at building brotherhood and sisterhood through a common love of the art of fragrances that we here share. This is why I feel that we should put our grievances by the side, at least emotionally, to let the spirit of brotherhood guide these debates even if we are on opposite sides. For no creation of man is more important than man himself. Frankly I appreciate the vibrant characters I met here as much as the oils that I found by reading this forum. And like Woodland said, it is always better to appreciate the fine things in life with company.
    Now I will stop moralising o_O

12. Rasoul Salehi

And on that note let’s get back on track.

I wondered and still wonder if certain sesquiterpenes in Oud have a universal effect on all wearers or no.

Linalool the compound in lavender for example is said to be calming. Sedative. Sleep inducing. Limonine is sobering energizing and exciting. Humiline and Myrcene are even stronger sedatives and give one feeling of bubble head.

Oud has not one or two but dozens and dozens of these compounds that literally go to ones head. For sure certain species and distilling techniques have an effect on concentration level of each of these terpenes. In other words there should be in my opinion and based on above, a certain given strong feeling or effect on all of us when let’s say we swipe a steam distilled walla patta or low temp distilled sinesis/crassna. Except I haven’t been able to establish one yet.

Ayu, purple kinam, sultan suleiman and the malay oil from IO (I forget the name) are all strong on malay (northern? Beccariana? Makecensis?) and all leave me focused, energized and giddy! But I know gentlemen who wear these oils late in the evening in prep for bedtime. Is their nightcap so yo speak. What’s up?

Cafeine is believed to be an upper and I for one can’t sleep at night if I drink one even late afternoon. Yet I know people that need their coffee after a meal and sleep just fine. My own grandpa even says he needs it for a good night sleep. What the heck is going on?

Nicolas, PEARL, Ouddict and 5 others like this.
  13. Rasoul Salehi

could very well be the case with some or even slightly true even in my own case. this i dont think applied to me in the begining of my journey as i was fully unaware of oud's "other abilities" other than simply being a fragrance when i started. i didnt know of the existence of forums or such. all i knew what when i would put surirankah senkoh on i would get a rush of energy to go and do high intensity sports. i would wear vietnamese oils and despite being well rested would have a sudden urge to take a nap.

i am also super body/emotion aware. there is something to oud even at low concentrations.

Nicolas, Sproaty, Joe King and 2 others like this.
  14. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

So nice of you, Sir.

Sproaty and Ouddict like this.
  15. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

In the absence of these 'if' and 'possibly', will the situation be different? I think mostly the situation is different. Anyway. The definition of 'bida'h' as per the highly respectable Jurists flashed into my mind, and I think the word 'bida'h' cannot be applied even 'if' and 'possibly' are present.

Qust and Oud surely are two separate ingredients in Tibb e Yunani and in Ayurveda.

Thanks for sharing the link, Sir.

PEARL likes this.
  16. Fahad

Fahad Whats this Oud About?

This last turn the thread has taken though woefully off topic is yet a most important one for Muslims so happy to purse it : ) Apologies to Louis : S
    I personally am most unfit to call anything an innovation or forbidden but saw a distinction made in the posts above which I thought useful to highlight for clarification - that between the intention of wearing Oud during prayer, how the wearer uses it and it's actual effect.

It seems Pearl that here the innovation you were referring to was the intention itself of using Oud to concentrate on the remembrance and/or the practice of concentrating on the Oud scent at the outset of prayer to build focus hoping thereby that after the Takbiratul Ihram the focus would then turn towards the remembrance. You were not referring to the effect itself which is that the attention is diverted towards Oud during the prayer which I think no one would disagree should be avoided and mostly likely does happen. After all what could a person be thinking of during prayer if right after saying salaam the hand goes up to the nose to get a whiff. If for some Oud or any other aromatic usually draws alot of their attention towards it during prayer then probably best to avoid it.

Setting the effect aside and thinking about the intention and the practice, can those be called an innovation as in the legal term? Best left for a jurist to respond to.

The intention itself of using something as a means of drawing closer to Allah subhanau wa ta'la is a complex topic. This drawing closer not directly referring to growing in rank but that of remembering him more and there by drawing closer. All actions being judged by their intentions, the intention of using Oud can change the action from a praiseworthy/rewarding one to being objectionable and blameworthy. May Allah swt protect us from that.

To emulate the path of the chosen one (as in fumigating with it) alaihis salaam
    To ponder and reflect on the beauty and variety that God has placed on this planet and through it 'see' his beauty and perfection through the heart's discernment.
    These and other intentions can make using Oud praiseworthy of course, otherwise it can just become a veil like any other part of creation that distracts from the creator in or outside of prayer.

Wearing perfume for prayer would not have been practiced by the Prophet alaihi asalam if it did not benefit the one praying and those witnessing and what benefit is there whilst one is distracted. So the intention itself of wearing Oud/perfume to benefit while praying we would agree would not be wrong. Now the intention of wearing perfume to concentrate during prayer (if it truly helps) would that be wrong? Why would one intend to concentrate during prayer if not intending to benefit from prayer and intending to draw closer to Allah azza wa jal?

Talking about the practice of focusing on Oud in and of itself just prior to prayer which seemed to me what you were referring to, I would agree does seem incorrect. At that point one would ideally be emptying the heart/mind of all such cares and attachments and be entering in a state of presence, awe, gratitude, fear, shyness etc.

tyson, PEARL, Nicolas and 1 other person like this.
  17. Fahad

Fahad Whats this Oud About?

18. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

With due respect, Sir, jurisprudence is not ‘what I perceive, understand or think’. It is a definitive one. The very nucleus of the definition of ‘bida’h’ includes: …anything that is introduced to the religion Islam as obligatory, and the one who doesn’t act upon that is a sinner. Second, bida’h by definition replaces some authentic and established ‘sunna’h’.

Great. May you live long, respected Fahad.
    :praying:
    Exactly this is what we all agree on. Otherwise, the way soft velvety Turkish carpet averts my mind in the mosque, nothing else does so. Poor me. Intention and priority.

Peace and cheers!

PEARL likes this.
  19. Shabby

Shabby Junior Member

I once heard a wonderful story about a man who was being lectured by an 'exoterist':

'Brother, you cannot do that, in Sahih Bukhari, it says....'
    'And you cannot do that either, because in Sahih Bukhari, the Prophet (a.s.) says....'
    'Brother, that is bida'h, we can see in Sahih Bukhari that the Messenger of God (a.s.) said....'

To which the man responded,

'Tell me brother, did the Prophet (a.s.) ever consult Sahih Bukhari? This is truly a grave bida'h'.

:Roflmao:

Promote Oud!