Question Regarding Burning Oud

Discussion in 'General' started by Sproaty, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Sproaty

Sproaty Boudly

When burning oud on an electric heater, how close do you sit to it? I've not had the best experience of burning any oud yet, everything always smells a bit charred, smokey and smouldering. I sit quite close to the burner.

Just now, I had a small chip on the heater and went in the shower, leaving it on. Coming back into my living room I was greeted with an amazing smell from over 12-15 foot away where my burner is! Could this be the reason why I've not enjoyed it so far - smelling it too closely, actually inhaling the vapour sometimes? I've tried altering the heat (it's a 12V burner) and using a lower temperature didn't seem to remove the burned smell.

Strangely, I absolutely adore sandalwood when used close up, it gives off that delicious creamy smell. I've also got frankincense, myrrh, opponax, styrax and benzoin - perhaps I'll test these from a distance too.

2. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

You might need some ash or mica sheets to give more distance between the wood and the heat, since at your low setting it is still very hot.

Also, try different distances. The type of wood, amount of wood, and the heat, will determine the exact distance.

jalil, alcolado glacial and Sproaty like this.
  3. Sproaty

Sproaty Boudly

Great, cheers! I do use 2 mica plates. I have plenty of wood so shall keep experimenting.

jalil likes this.
  4. Abdullah

Abdullah Junior Member

My favourite way to learn. Experimentation. So well done. I like to put on lowest heat possible on an electric heater, with the aid of as many mica sheet as I feel are needed. Then every time I feel it needs a bit more heat, I remove a sheet. As soon as I start getting the burnt/charred smell, I turn off the heater or remove the wood, and scrape of the mica sheet.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    jalil and Sproaty like this.
  5. Ashfaque

Ashfaque Analogue Oud

@Sproaty Please be careful whilst burning resins - especially, when you are sitting very close to the burner. Sometimes the bubbles that formed from previous session, can burst in the following one. I had a close call few weeks ago.

Royhalwood, jalil, Sproaty and 2 others like this.
  6. jalil

jalil Oud bully Staff Member

I just ordered a adjustable voltage power supply adaptator because of the problem of to high temp on my electric burner

Sproaty, Ashfaque and Royhalwood like this.
  7. Edward Muller

Edward Muller Oud Fan

This might sound like a dumb question - but is there a temperature guideline somewhere for the optimal heating temp for oud?

Ashfaque, jalil and Sproaty like this.
  8. Ashfaque

Ashfaque Analogue Oud

I stop just before I can see the smoke! That way I can enjoy tiny chip, say 5mmx5mm, more than 45 minutes quite easily. Some wild Indians go more an hour this way!

If you want a bit more higher intensity or a quick 'fix' (since we're Ouddicts), just crank it up to your desired level. However, don't put all the way up as you will then miss some subtle aromas.

With my DIY unit, in most cases, I find 8-8.5 volts to be the optimal range for non-visible-smoke sessions.

Joe King, jalil and Sproaty like this.
  9. Sproaty

Sproaty Boudly

That's a great question :)

Great! Thanks, I have no idea how many volts each turn on the dial translates to, but I assume it's 0-12 on a linear scale, but hey, it may not be. The wires don't glow orange until around halfway and it takes a bit more to start producing smoke

Ashfaque and jalil like this.
  10. powdernose

powdernose Oud Sprite

I find that too. :handok:
    I plotted voltage to temperature with an infrared thermometer to create a useful table.
    I rarely burn oud though...

I think I may have seen a rough guidline once, but can't recall where now...
    In any case see below to help orientate you:

Wood slowly chars* 120°-150°
    Decayed wood ignites 150°
    Ignition temp of various woods 190°-260°
    * wood chars at a rate of approximately 30-50 mm/hour

Ashfaque, jalil and Sproaty like this.
  11. Ashfaque

Ashfaque Analogue Oud

From my limited understanding, the potentiometers used in these power adapters are typically linear.

Sproaty and jalil like this.

Promote Oud!