OudNews

Discussion in 'General' started by Ouddict, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Ouddict

Ouddict Technical Support

A thread to share interesting news, articles or documentaries involving Oud.

AbasFrag likes this.
  2. Ouddict

3. JohnH

JohnH Oud Fan

Kc3dl and AbasFrag like this.
  4. Ouddict

JohnH likes this.
  5. JohnH

JohnH Oud Fan

Ouddict, F4R1d0uX and AbasFrag like this.
  6. Al Shareef Oudh

Al Shareef Oudh Resident Artisan

John I totally agree with Ouddict, you have really made some impressive posts. Let me share some information regarding these very points your raise.
    The main type of agarwood in China is Aquilaria Sinensis, and then to a lesser extent Aquilaria Grandiflora and Aquilaria Filaria. In the Hainan region the agarwood type is Aquilaria Sinensis, knowing locally as the "white fragrant wood" because of the white colour of the agarwood.

When you smell this tree itself and the agarwood produced by it, it has a sharp freshness to it. Upon burning it also releases some floral, sweet-bitter, medicinal notes as well.

How does the oil from such a plant with fresh, green, lightly floral sweetness become animalic and heavy barn, or like rotten meat?

F4R1d0uX likes this.
  7. JohnH

JohnH Oud Fan

Thanks @Al Shareef Oudh. Is tradition the reason many of the Sinensis oils are this way? I like them though, especially after an hour or two when the Sinensis really comes through. I am so disappointed I missed out on your Ceen though, which seems to be a completely different style of Sinensis oil.

F4R1d0uX likes this.
  8. F4R1d0uX

F4R1d0uX Resident Artisan

Maybe lack of cleaning, long soaking + stainless steel set up ?

Royalbengalouds likes this.
  9. jalil

jalil Oud bully Staff Member

I agry...Ceen is complety different

The way I like to make oud

F4R1d0uX likes this.
  10. bhanny

bhanny Guest

Hey Al Shareef, what region did the wood from CEEN come from? Thanks in advance.

11. Al Shareef Oudh

@bhanny

Hey bhanny, Hainan.

@JohnH

The Chinese do not value the scent of oudh oil as Arabs do, the oils for them were distilled for medicinal use. In fact in the early days as written in classical Chinese text, they didn't even distil oudh, they collected the resin similar to how Frankincense is collected by wounding the tree, leaving it for a few months and allowing the resin to seep out then they would collect it, melt that to form the medicines they needed. Later on they employed distillation and the purpose was medicinal. As such for them quality and purity was very important as they were eventually going to use the oils produce to treat people. As such from these historic facts we know that Chinese oil were distilled with the medicinal purpose in mind and to retain the original properties of the tree, freshness, coolness, lightly sweet floral.

JohnH likes this.
  12. JohnH

JohnH Oud Fan

@Al Shareef Oudh

Thanks for that, interesting stuff. In a previous post you said that Sinensis is known as 'white fragrant wood', is all Sinensis white in colour? I notice the oils are usually a pale orange, lighter than most others I have.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    Mandeel AlMandeel likes this.
  13. Al Shareef Oudh

@JohnH

Most of the ones I have seen, even when infected are lighter in colour.

14. Mr.P

Mr.P Super Moderator Staff Member

"Hong Kong’s history is rooted in incense trees. Cultivation began around the turn of the first millennium and the trees have long been a staple of traditional fung shui forests — woodlands preserved near rural settlements for good fortune. "

Now THERE is a plantation project that has been left to mature! Can you imagine? The Royal Kinam from Ensar was billed as Hong Kong agarwood... wonder if the wood was wild, from cultivated stands, how the wood used to distill it relates to the problems experienced there.

15. Kc3dl

Kc3dl Junior Member

^You just blew my mind with this!

Article was an excellent read.

Mandeel AlMandeel and JohnH like this.
  16. JohnH

JohnH Oud Fan

http://www.nst.com.my/news/2016/12/194357/man-tries-cart-rm100000-worth-agarwood-country-caught?m=1

I wonder what happens to the seized wood? Perhaps officials might profit from it. I can't help but see similarities between the oud trade and the drug trade. Both make most of their profit by selling to individuals in affluent countries, both have links to organised crime and people involved lower down the process don't seem to profit much, maybe even risking their liberty like the individuals in this article or even perhaps their lives in some cases. The list could go on. Which leads me to this question - how ethical is the oud industry?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  17. Al Shareef Oudh

JohnH likes this.
  18. JohnH

JohnH Oud Fan

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  19. Mandeel AlMandeel

Mandeel AlMandeel Oud Geek Staff Member

thank you for lovely link , agarwood sacred by many religions i hear even hindu when important person die they burn with him best agarwoods! , also Chinese call it luckywood and they said it bring good luck and successful for the person... :)

JohnH likes this.
  20. Abdullah

Abdullah Junior Member

Promote Oud!