Oud Reviews

Discussion in 'Oud Reviews' started by Ouddict, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Anwar

Anwar Whats this Oud About?

Posted in sotd. Should've been here.

AA Mardelong.
    • Sweet, what some call dried fruit note/dates, raisins, prunes. Toffee-like note in the opening.
    • Expands w/a shy, parallel crystal forest green note.
    • The dried fruits narrowly hover in the foreground in a haze of crushed mustard at a distance (no burn) w/some tartness. Moments of kaleidoscopic beauty.
    • Tartness attaches to the fruits, changing them. Becomes a refreshing, faintly sweet fruit punch with an array of spices.
    • A touch of sandal.
    • Then, subtly soapy.
    • Floral sandal.
    • Powdery dates w/a strong floral undertone, sandal touching on citrus and soapiness.
    • After a stretch of a hot, bright, somewhat sour, blindingly vague yellow tumeric note and the apparition of the initial brown sweetness that had since become akin to damp leather, it coalesces into a familiar, awesome note of faint leather, citrus sweet-tartness, bubbly vinegar, w/a hint of maple.
    • A rich butter/ghee note peaks out.
    • Sweetness fades. Faint brown sugar and Leather. Citrus vinegar prominant. Coy butter base.
    • Drydown: citrus pepper and faint leather.
    Young though, so bound to change.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    SydnorIII, Fahad, powdernose and 8 others like this.
  2. Habz786

Habz786 Resident Artisan

Nice review @Anwar i like the way you describe the scent very nice to read :Thumbsup:

Ouddict likes this.
  3. Anwar

شكرا جزيلا
    (Thank you)

Ouddict likes this.
  4. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

I have to second it....
    Congrats ASO team on your first Papua offering
    :clapping::clapping::clapping:

5. powdernose

powdernose Oud Sprite

Fragrant Harbour Imperiale - Imperial Oud

Very pretty oud, with no off notes, opens with a bright kumquat note, then the full fleshy green of pine and a backdrop of nutmeg. As it opens further one gets to the floral tones, with a lovely lavender note and a touch of jasmin. Towards the end of the scent progression, and it does take a long time to get there, it reveals another level of sweetness with some berry hard candy, and eventually settles into a resinous finish and the comforting aroma of oud on low heat.
    In my opinion this is an oud that one can introduce to non ouddicts, there are no hard edges or wonky notes. I really like the strong presence and clear progression through floral forest notes. For me the complexity and clarity in the notes is a sign of quality. Lovely oud.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  6. powdernose

powdernose Oud Sprite

Hareer - Al Shareef Oudh

Rich, full bodied with strong projection. This is about as strong as an oud oil can get. This Hindi is mid barn level, with a distinct horse barn aroma in the opening and the tinge of sour fruit, it takes about an hour for the barn aspect to settle. As the barn slowly burns off, I get some chestnut and the scent starts to feel creamier. Further along is the sharpness of pine sap coupled with the sweetness of clove. In the heart of the fragrance there is a lovely melange of all the notes that keeps wafting strongly. It's here that a creamy thick milk chocolate facet joins the party and this is my favourite part of the fragrance. Rich, comforting and decadent. In the drydown you get the Hindi staples of leather and hay, with an added touch of tobacco leaves. Longevity with Hareer is also excellent.
    If there is a drawback to Hareer it is that it is a co-distillation with Chinese Sinensis, and I feel that the Sinensis is underrepresented. In my estimation it helps round out the scent by contributing to the smoothness, but otherwise is swallowed whole by the Hindi power. On the other hand I did feel there is more depth to discover with this one, and I didn't have enough time with it.
    Recommended to all Hindi lovers.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019 at 10:01 AM
  7. Sproaty

Sproaty Boudly Staff Member

Hareer sounds amazing, great review!

powdernose and Grega like this.
  8. Anwar

Got some FeelOud "777". Did not think it was my thing. Strong, blue-cheesy opening. Passing cocoa dust that fades. Leather later, but not the supple smooth kind. Rather, sharp tanning hides or something. No sweetness. Has kick, but the kind that might scare some and push others away.

No fecal smell, but definately challenging for some that might have become used to neat, dainty, and fruity offerings.

Enjoyable drydown. Peppery, savoury, dry leather. Very masculine. Slightest hint of sweetness, I think, that goes away, and warm resinousness coming through. Okay. I DO like THAT.

9. Grega

Grega Oud Fan

Indeed, I was drooling the whole time while reading it :Inlove:
    A loto victory would come in handy right about now :Whistling:

Woodland Note and powdernose like this.
  10. Anwar

Another reviewer said it's like a hindi. OK. NOW I see.

Joe King likes this.
  11. powdernose

powdernose Oud Sprite

Peche - Rising Phoenix

In your face intensity for the opening hours, definitely something to appreciate for fans of good sillage. The opening notes play on a strong sour vein; to begin with there is a robust valerian note, a note which pushes to the verge of the unpleasant and won't be to most peoples' tastes. As it settles a little, a parade of the fruity-sour follows. First some nice sour cherry, then some plum, the tart hit of umeboshi and then it is nicely rounded by a good dose of tamarind. Midway through the scent, Peche is rich, full bodied, sweet, sour and medicinal. It's an odd combination that alternates between being alienating and being totally addictive. Peche has above average longevity too, and when it starts winding down it hits a nice hay note, followed by the addition of light smoke, and at the end there's a tinge of bitter which I couldn't really pinpoint to a specific aroma. I like that this is different to the Trat oils I've experienced so far, and when I tried it blind I couldn't guess to it being cultivated. As a side note I never got the peach that is advertised, maybe if I spent more time with it.
    Good complexity, intriguing wear.

SydnorIII, Bryan-I, Joe King and 3 others like this.
  12. powdernose

powdernose Oud Sprite

Cambodi Vintage (2002) - Imperial Oud

Opens with a very ripe banana note, part plump and sweet, part overripe and at the beginning of fermentation. The sweetness of it prevails and it is not long before I start to get the impression of an unburned latakia tobacco note. The tobacco note is fantastic and gets stronger and stronger, dominating the heart notes. The heart notes also include the brightness of sun-kissed sweet plum. As the scent slowly unfolds I get a dust of baby powder which is appropriately soft and comforting. Further along is a delicate animalic tone reminiscent of cat fur, then some light smoke. Deeper still, one finally gets to the obligatory hay note and the progression comes to a close with some soft earth just broken by spade.
    Cambodi Vintage represents a very classic Cambodi profile, with fleshy fruitiness, tobacco and hay. There's a reason the Cambodi profile has been a popular oud staple for so long. What I like most is the impression of tobacco, the soft dustiness, and just how easy and soft a wear it is.
    Projection is mid-low, longevity is above average.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019 at 12:37 PM
  13. Habz786

Habz786 Resident Artisan

@powdernose great review spot on! I love this style of oil

Sproaty, powdernose and Joe King like this.

Promote Oud!