Oud Of The Day/Night

Discussion in 'Scent of the Day/Night' started by jalil, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Al Shareef Oudh

Al Shareef Oudh Resident Artisan

Curt you are tempting me! :Geek::Laugh:

Bryan-I, Ouddict and Oudamberlove like this.
  2. Edward Muller

Edward Muller Oud Fan

IO - Hainan Vintage

Been a while since I posted here, have been wearing a lot of Malay Cola (which I love) and Thai Symphony by Taha from years ago (probably the least exciting oil from my collection, no surprises but just great quality oil - not complex vertically but horizontally has quite a lot going on - very fruity with some floral nuances - not the biggest fan of the dry down as it is a little acidic to my nose. Love the woody element of it but I wish it was fuller and smoother. I remember loving this oil a lot when I first started my oud journey - very easy to wear!

Tonight I decided to apply a small dot of Hainan Vintage since it’s been weeks since I tried it - very animalic. Tonight it seems more acidic to my nose - almost like yogurt with added citric acid. There’s quite a lot of funk going on.. At the very back, there’s lilac / something purple, although it could be coming from my electric burner - I do have a small amount of purple kinam powder going on and/or from a small dab of Yaqoot Al Shareef, which I regret not getting a full bottle of during their EID Sale - but none the less a very nice mix.
    There is DEFINITELY some sort of aldehyde elements to Hainan Vintage as it does have a clean back bone despite the animalic assault.

I closed my eyes and took a big sniff - the first imagery that came up was the dance scent from Disney’s Beauty and the Beast.
    I would imagine that’s what it would smell like - the space between the two, marked in white IMG_3615.JPG
    (Obviously more Beast since he’s much larger)

I have grown to appreciate this oil (as well as Hainan Imperial) a lot more purely on its complexity - and the juxtaposition of something that smells so animalic yet clean at the same time.

I don’t think I will ever swipe Hainan Vintage on its own, but when used together with oils that runs on the sweet side - it’s going to create something magical.

PS - it has a very unique opening, which totally slipped my mind when I wrote it. It has a waxy feel/aroma to it (which I have just picked up) as well as scent of a ripe fruit salad. Some white floral, lilies like profile.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    Ashfaque, rojas, Oudamberlove and 3 others like this.
  3. Alkhadra

Alkhadra "Master Kafeel" Resident Artisan

Thanks dear Jensz for the amazing review! It's feedback like this that makes all the tough work worthwhile.

Have to say I completely agree on the fattiness taming the sweetness, and as for the cream, it's one of my favorite aspects of Adan!

4. Sproaty

Sproaty Boudly

Earlier was an attar but I'll add it here to save double posts. Habz' Harara. Fantastic oil, today the sandalwood was rather prominent along with the musk whereas I'd mostly "felt" oud and musk in prior wearings.

Tonight I have swiped on Ensar's Archinam, a lovely oil that I'm struggling to think of which region it could be from. It feels very oudy, that's for sure.

Ouddict, rojas, Edward Muller and 4 others like this.
  5. Joe King

Joe King AttitOud

:Dand now I start waiting, hopefully my sample of Al Ruba'ie will last.....

Ouddict, rojas, Oudamberlove and 2 others like this.
  6. Rasoul Salehi

Rasoul Salehi Oud Fanatic

any other oils you may recommend based on loving rubaie? from what i have tried some come close but none quite like it: ridwhan and malek malayzi.

7. Rasoul Salehi

Rasoul Salehi Oud Fanatic

yesssss. rubaie... rubaie..... rubaie....

8. Sproaty

Sproaty Boudly

I think we need a musk medic in here, stat!!

Rai Munir likes this.
  9. Al Shareef Oudh

Al Shareef Oudh Resident Artisan

where you are right now in your journey we would recommend;

Al Malek Al Aasiyawi
    Qandahaar III
    Hareer

Sproaty and Rasoul Salehi like this.
  10. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

Tonight
    AA L’essentiel Cambodgien

It’s supposed to be a study in auxiliary notes,
    well...... I’m getting some quality oudiness.

Basic Hindi wasn’t all that basic either.

Can Taha make a cheap oil?
    I doubt it:confused:
    The ones I tried were pretty good to excellent.

Or maybe he never releases the failures:D:Cautious::Cooler:

Sproaty and Joe King like this.
  11. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

Oud Jayapura: Rain, high altitude, and dense jungle. Indonesian Oud! Not dark at all, but twilight is there. Lovely!

Oudamberlove and Joe King like this.
  12. Edward Muller

Edward Muller Oud Fan

Qandahaar III by Al Shareef Oud

A very beautiful Hindi

There is barn. But it’s not overwhelming - more like a subtle nod acknowledging its presence.
    Imagine all the non-soak Hindi releases - Imperial Oud and Agar Aura’s but heavier with a hint of barn, you will get a rough idea what Q III smells like. The opening has an Umami note to it. A little salty. But it quickly disappears.
    Hay. Leathery. Amber. Tobacco. The usual suspects of a Hindi oil with a light glaze of waxy character. Incredible. Satisfying. Hits all spot.
    very well done. It is not a ground breaking oil in terms of uniqueness (after all to my nose it is a classic profile Hindi - don’t expect something radically experimental), but man... I don’t think I can be happier with this purchase. Well rounded, complex with great depth. SOOOOO BEAUTIFUL.

Something wonderful lurks at the back - I can’t yet pinpoint what it is yet. Something floral, something creamy and something sweet like tonka. It is not there all the time but once in a while it makes its appearance to uplift the oil to an entirely different level.

A Michelin star restaurant’s chicken risotto vs a chicken risotto from a typical Italian restaurant.

Sure on the surface it may look like the same dish - but it’s all the extra herbs, the aromatics, no matter how minute, together with the craftsmanship and attention to detail that sets them apart. If this was my first full bottle Hindi - I think it will be difficult to pull the triggers on other Hindi purchases.

PS - As the oil goes further - it gets even more beautiful. The aura it emits is almost pink, like Turkish delight. The Rose gets more evident. Incredibly clean. Powdery. One of very few oils that evoke emotion when I smell it. It just gets prettier and prettier - to a point that I would happily take a big swipe of this and walk out in a crowded space

I would group the scent profile together with Hareer and Hudayl from the same house.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  13. hassam mac

hassam mac Oud Fan

Anyone tried the new aroha kyaku?

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 dual sim using Tapatalk

14. Edward Muller

Edward Muller Oud Fan

Al Malek Al Hindi II

Sorry for the back to back posts but just wanted to compare the two Hindis
    The polar opposite of Qandahaar III
    Opening - Full and rich. Nutty. And then I smell Asian style pickle - spices, slightly acidic, incredibly savory. It’s not a typical Hindi opening. The waxy element is here. Tamarind is evident through out from start to finish.
    The beauty of oil lies in the backbone.
    A very intricate blend of notes that demand focus.
    Spicy. Musky. Incredibly Animalic (from start to finish)
    Light floral (lilac) and a strong hint of tobacco.
    Deep, powerful and not for the faint of heart. The dry down is incredibly sexy, almost carnal. Don’t expect something pretty or beautiful. Complexity is off the charts from start to finish. If I would describe this oil with two words: UGLY DELICIOUS.

Dry down - think a much more complex and full version of Noir Velours / Meitei

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  15. OudGood

OudGood Oud Fan

Peoples Ceylon. Love the first 15 minutes.

Oudamberlove and Sproaty like this.
  16. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

The highest soaring notes ever:D

Sproaty and OudGood like this.
  17. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

Tonight...

RKSons Haflong Oud

90% Barn
    10% Oud....but a nice oud it is.

I’ve heard of EO Haflong Hua and Haflong Extreme, unfortunately, I didn’t try either. Now I wish I did.

bhanny and Sproaty like this.
  18. Joe King

Joe King AttitOud

Adan by Al Hashimi - my first phillipine oil :Dfantastic

19. Alkhadra

Alkhadra "Master Kafeel" Resident Artisan

How are you liking it? :Sneaky:

Sproaty likes this.
  20. kooolaid79

kooolaid79 Junior Member

What happens after 15 mins?

Arsalan and powdernose like this.