Oud Of The Day/Night

Discussion in 'Scent of the Day/Night' started by jalil, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Rasoul Salehi

Rasoul Salehi Oud Fanatic

Aside from massively penetrating vaporous top note nope. Au luong is green yellow scent colour. Citrus fruit. Bright and cologne like. Kuzen is narcotic red tobacco. Spiced cigar. Red fruit rollup. More bitter. Elements of kinam rouge and Vietnam zephyr is sensed in it. Also ksk. There is even a soap like clean note in the progression that au luong doesn’t have. This note can also be found in what I think is Taha’s best cambodi I have tried. Kanzen.

All this aside I personally am not a cambodi oud fan at all. Including Ensar’s kampot pursat 05 or even the Assamese style cambodi like Khmer extreme and few others their names escape me. Aso layth neither. Has lots of yusuf dried stone fruit notes and sticky fruit. and many others.

The legendary Koh Kong 76 is a different matter all together. I guess I like my Cambodia with lots of age.

saint458, Arsalan, Joe King and 3 others like this.
  2. OudGood

OudGood Oud Fan

Thanks a lot @Rasoul Salehi. As always... it was super helpful :)

Sproaty and Rasoul Salehi like this.
  3. Rasoul Salehi

Casual musings on a bunch of oud I have in sample vials:

Back to blind testing last few nights for fun and to keep the senses sharp.

Some discoveries or otherwise fleets of thoughts:

Imperial oud konnaung and new imperial burma are both a note I have only ever smelled In these two IO oils. No other burma. No other vendor. A bitter yet soft yellow fruit note yet medicinal and indochinese in dna

—————

Oud zach is far more barrier now than a year or so ago. Yet along oud shuayb is distinctly horsy. No sheep or cows or goats here. It is a distinct horse sadalleather note. Despite the beauty and complexity is far too much for me to actually wear and roll in it

——————-
    Duhl q has a sticky Yusuf fruit note in it that hadn’t registered for me to this potency extent to date.

————-

Sultan Abdül Hamit is the single most successful “smoky” “oud chip bubbling under your skin” oud. I must say I am not a fan of this genre. It masks the beauty of those precious oleoresin. Some will rightfully disagree and I agree to disagree. My issue is a personal one.

Anyways the message is I will gladly and frequently wear Abdül Hamit for you.

Oils in genre I have tried: Aroha, two dif releases of duhl q, philipina 2, kencana 3, sigyria walla by IO.

Most successful to my liking was philipina 2 and sigyria. Both after few months at least of release date though and few airings.

—————
    ASO layth
    Has a good whack of what I associate with trat agarwood for a cambodi. Of course are present those cambodi notes. Think yusuf jsl adams thai I forget the name, tony Bolton’s....

Taha has a cambodi too that is dressed as trat: Koh kood. A cambodi vacationing in Thailand.

—————-

Pursat 05 and more recent one 12? Are super psychoactive. Big time psychedelic notes. Pursat 05 has a purple blue scent to it. Iris crossed with violet.

Brain interrupts to send me a message:
    Rasoul, cambodis are not your thing. Move on for now revisit in 6 months or later.

——————
    One last impression I got for the second time in a while: EO port moresbey is a damn fine oil belonging in a subset of legends of the legends category. The presentation of the notes in this oil. Ahhhh so round and polite. Aged notes. Young notes. All in line performing like a grand symphony. Those kinamic bitter tingling notes don’t exactly suck either. Brilliant stuff. I wish I had more than what I began with originally 0.3

4. Aleata

Aleata Oud Mood

Russian Oud (Areej le Doré).
    La classe...

5. hassam mac

hassam mac Oud Fan

I think this should be in perfumes or mukhallat category because its a blend

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 dual sim using Tapatalk

Aleata likes this.
  6. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

Oud Malaysian: Clean and smooth, free from resin-y and camphor-y auxiliary notes. Sheer Agarwood aroma. No physical exercise twists of break dance, but fascinating Hindustani classical dance in its aromatic trails. Wild, yes, crushing pressure of time can be smelt in it.

Nowadays just non-Hindi oils are there on the table. Actually, I am enjoying a break from 'Oud as such'.

bhanny, Joe King and Oudamberlove like this.
  7. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

How can you “not” love Cambodi oud:Cry::Cry::Cry:

F4R1d0uX, Joe King and Rasoul Salehi like this.
  8. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

He exemplifies dedication to his craft.

bhanny, F4R1d0uX, Joe King and 3 others like this.
  9. Rasoul Salehi

I’ll come around. One day. :)

F4R1d0uX likes this.
  10. Al Shareef Oudh

Al Shareef Oudh Resident Artisan

Seems like a bunch of the oudhs you smelt this week smell like this Thai/Trat oudh you talk about, would be interesting to smell it.

F4R1d0uX likes this.
  11. Aleata

Aleata Oud Mood

Indeed. My mistake, I was on a rush this morning, enthousiasted by the delicious scent and the many compliments.
    Peace.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    Joe King and Rai Munir like this.
  12. Rasoul Salehi

i shall revisit blind and see if the associations still stand. is not the furthest thing though, being both crassna and very close by geographically speaking. like that green menthol cooling note mixed with bitter vannilic milk note in vietnamese and chinese sinesis of almost all sub regions...

bhanny likes this.
  13. Joe King

Joe King AttitOud

Oud Alamin by Habzoud :Inlove:

bhanny, F4R1d0uX, Habz786 and 2 others like this.
  14. hassam mac

hassam mac Oud Fan

Oh yes this happens ,haha
    Sent from my HTC Desire 626 dual sim using Tapatalk

bhanny likes this.
  15. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

IO Pai Sia Kan

bhanny and alcolado glacial like this.
  16. Joe King

Joe King AttitOud

Mandalay Signature by LaMaisonKhenata a lively and engaging oil

17. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

Oud Borneo: Essence of Nature! A sort of microcosm.

18. bhanny

bhanny Whats this Oud About?

Oud Royale No5. Ancient maroke goodness.

F4R1d0uX, Joe King and Oudamberlove like this.
  19. Rasoul Salehi

Burma citron iO
    Recalls taha style oils. Clean. Pristine. Top and heart heavy. In a blind test of other essential oils I don’t think it will jump out as agarwood origin.

A clean terpene dominant oil with yellow citrus top notes dancing with bitter indo Chinese qualities but more Indo. Pleasant and nice.

F4R1d0uX and Oudamberlove like this.
  20. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

FO SriLankan Artisan

Update:
    I’m getting a powdery Borneo at drydown:Inlove::Inlove:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    bhanny, F4R1d0uX and Rai Munir like this.

Promote Oud!