Oud Notes And Musical Layers

Discussion in 'General' started by Louis Miller, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Louis Miller

Louis Miller Whats this Oud About?

Hi Ouddicts,

In pondering the development of olfactory sensitivity, I've wondered how our noses might act like our ears. I'm a musician, and I'm trained to pick out layers that make up the overall sound, noticing bass, mid-register voices, and top notes, as well as percussive elements and large scale formal development. I take this largely for granted, but most people's ears require effort to pick these pieces apart.

I wonder if, with time, my nose can learn to smell like my ears hear.

On that note, I've felt inspired to offer my own creativity to this board. I recently created a piece of music that has several layers, perhaps the way that an oud can have a multifacted profile, and I've posted it here for analysis and criticism. Consider it a token of gratitude to the artisans of oud.

https://soundcloud.com/user8466702/38-cents

A few notes on this piece:

The base layer is a recording of indiginous central african hunter-gatherers of the Bayaka ethinic group.

The additional layers are me playing the piano and the cajon, which is a peruvian drum made of wood.

This is part of a larger work in progress, please do not share the link or otherwise make copies.

Enjoy!

2. Sproaty

Sproaty Boudly

wow cool piece, am listening now. Very interesting combination. And yes I believe the nose can be developed, hopefully I'm doing the same with repeated exposure, focused sniffing and familiarising myself more with the smells around me. I read on here it's a case of accessing scent memories so the more you smell things it makes it easier to pull that smell from your memory bank so to speak. I have a load of essential oils, I should start smelling them each night

Louis Miller and Ouddict like this.
  3. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

Very absorbing piece, and yes, I did feel that it was short for the flow, knowing that it is part of a bigger piece explains it:thumbsup:

Sproaty and Louis Miller like this.
  4. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

Mon-koh means Listening to incense and this is a kind of ceremonial way of
    Incense Appreciation
    (quoted from Shoyeido Japan)

Louis Miller likes this.
  5. Rasoul Salehi

Rasoul Salehi Oud Fanatic

love it! awesome. and yes my nose works just like your ear does. i cant help but not see all scents broken down to fragments. i am always by default in critical mode when it comes to all matter of olfactory

Louis Miller likes this.
  6. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

Notes and nuances! Both aural and visual effects are there. Of course, when notes are in, notations are there. Olfactory is not a solitary functioning sense.

Melodiously Winsome Fragrance: Musk Santal

Rasoul Salehi likes this.

Promote Oud!