jalil

Oud bully
@Abdullah I remember a oil by feel-oud come out from the pot very thick

F4R1d0uX

Resident Artisan
If I have an oil that I really like but it's very runny. Can I "light" it to make it thicker? Does this affect the quality of the oil?

Azizi I dont advise you to do so.
When oil's just distilled why not but now ...

How fresh is the oil ?
Is that still undesirable fresh distilled smell ?

If so, I advise you to uncap some paper on the top and put it in a furniture (clean the dust first) to protect it from light.

You will see the paper become humid.
Do it not more than 1 month.

If oil is not fresh, it would oxydize more than "age" so you would miss some interresting coumpunds with real aging...

Maybe an expert can correct or confirm...

Habz786

Resident Artisan & Ouddict Co-Founder
I also remember Adam from FO telling me that there are a few select distillers who are able to distill thick oils. One he mentioned cooked an oil for him called Thai Nestle, did anyone try this oil? I wonder if any distillers or vendors can shed some light on the topic of distilling thaqeel oil?

I don't recall if there was a topic about oud oil distilled from new chips versus oil distilled from old chips. Let's say, new can mean a few months of drying, and old, chips that have dried for 10 years or more. There should be a difference, given that all the other parameters are the same. Would there be less top notes in the old chips oil?

Al Shareef Oudh

Master Perfumer
Certain species of oudh produce thick oils without any fancy distillation techniques.

Copper Condensers assist in producing thicker oils.

Varying the temperature during cooking of certain woods makes the oil thicker.

Distilling a thick oil is not difficult. Distilling a thick oil that is not clumsy is more difficult, distilling a thick oil that is not clumsy and smells amazing is the most difficult.

Abdullah

I don't recall if there was a topic about oud oil distilled from new chips versus oil distilled from old chips. Let's say, new can mean a few months of drying, and old, chips that have dried for 10 years or more. There should be a difference, given that all the other parameters are the same. Would there be less top notes in the old chips oil?
Good question

F4R1d0uX

Resident Artisan
Good question

Once I talked wood fibers with Muhammad Tafzatani, actualy agarwood fibers are very tensiles and were used to build ropes.

With drying, fibers should lose it's tensility and be easier to release oil in distillation process.

Looking foward reply from a distiller ...

F4R1d0uX

Resident Artisan
Once I talked wood fibers with Muhammad Tafzatani, actualy agarwood fibers are very tensiles and were used to build ropes.

With drying, fibers should lose it's tensility and be easier to release oil in distillation process.

Looking foward reply from a distiller ...

And 1st easier for burning ...

About oil thickness I would like to add little info even the sun can make the oil thick but in my humble opinion I think if u keep it so much on the sun the Oud will lose some compound's ...

F4R1d0uX

Resident Artisan
About oil thickness I would like to add little info even the sun can make the oil thick but in my humble opinion I think if u keep it so much on the sun the Oud will lose some compound's ...

You are right bro, sun makes water evaporation and if too long time, volatiles compounds go too

Royalbengalouds

Resident Artisan
Normally 1kg oud yield 0.3ml-5 ml oil, all depend quality oud use cooking make oil, i don't think so if anybody make oil 30ml for 1kg...
it all depends on the wood at the end , resin Content, years of infection , Soaking it to long oil will be lost , it depends how the distiller does his or her work , but definitely the wood Is the show stopper , the Old Bengalis guys I ask say its usually min 1ml to 15ml of Oil per Kg but if resin is low hence lower yields and watch out for injection oils , that's were it will increase but quality & profile will be super low quality ,

Samsir

Trader
Have p
it all depends on the wood at the end , resin Content, years of infection , Soaking it to long oil will be lost , it depends how the distiller does his or her work , but definitely the wood Is the show stopper , the Old Bengalis guys I ask say its usually min 1ml to 15ml of Oil per Kg but if resin is low hence lower yields and watch out for injection oils , that's were it will increase but quality & profile will be super low quality ,

Samsir

Trader
Have picture oud he said make oil 1kg get 15ml.. and how much this oud price 1kg he make oil? Yes true all depand oud qualities but we need try cook first many people only said.. like I have discuss 1 people said 1kg he get 1000ml oil... I think he not cooking oud sure he cooking oil..hihii

Al Shareef Oudh

Master Perfumer
with agarwood the average is 0.2% - 1% there maybe odd instances where a distiller gets a little more, however anything above 10ml per 1 kg is a big feat.

@Bengal Tiger Oud-Ish MTL
High resin content does not necessarily mean high oil output, in many cases heavily resinated woods have less oil. This is why it is important to see the wood, test it, burn some etc before distilling, and if this distiller you mention is getting on a regular basis 15ml, then that is super.

Royalbengalouds

Resident Artisan
with agarwood the average is 0.2% - 1% there maybe odd instances where a distiller gets a little more, however anything above 10ml per 1 kg is a big feat.

High resin content does not necessarily mean high oil output, in many cases heavily resinated woods have less oil. This is why it is important to see the wood, test it, burn some etc before distilling, and if this distiller you mention is getting on a regular basis 15ml, then that is super.
Totally agree Shareef Bhaia ( bros in Bengali ) , it's kind of of scary before cooking cause the outcome is unknown in a Good way , well have to say Bismilah Before cooking inshaAllah,

Samsir

Trader
I

... I need know u opinion why oil oud greenish colour? Thanks

I accept, yes ...hihii; oil becomes more expensive and
at is super.[/QUOTE]
... I need know u opinion why oil oud greenish colour? Thanks

Al Shareef Oudh

Master Perfumer
It has been a while since I posted in this thread as I have been busy with our projects. I was going through some old literature and came across a couple of interesting things regarding distillation which is forgotten as distiller get so engrossed in the tasks and forget the spiritual side of this art.

One of the reasons some of us get so passionate about oudh is because of the significance it holds in our cultures. For example as Muslims oudh is something that we know from Islamic text, the Prophet PBUH used to burn it either by itself or mixed with Camphor. Our predecessors in this art used to have this close at heart when they dealt with oudh, knowing that what they craft is from the wood that was significant to the Beloved PBUH.

At the core of traditional distillation is simplicity, learning from our surroundings and keeping close to nature. When we distilled QANDAHAAR, we wrote the following explaining some of the assembly;

Back in the day one of the key styles of distillations that took place in the subcontinent was where a hammer-beaten copper pot (Degh) would be assembled in the middle of the fields with mud tanks erected next to them and tents to provide shade. The mud tank would be filled with water (this was the cooling tank) that was running through the fields. What was interesting was how these cooling tanks functioned.

The degh would be assembled on higher ground in the Sun connected to the cooling tank with bamboo and copper plumbing that were joint together with dough, mud and string. The degh would be buried in a mud pile, with wood fire and the heat of the sun aiding the distillation process. The steam pipe would run from the top of the degh through the cooling tank and into a collecting vessel that was made from baked clay -the hydrosol would be collected in this clay vessel and it would be large enough to take the full volume of the cooking deghs’ water. This meant that the deghs were loaded and sealed once - and when the water finished that was the end of the run. The hydrosol would then be left overnight allowing all of the precious oils to rise to the top ready for collection in the coolness of the early morning.

Key components, mud/clay, sun, water, wood (for the fire, the bio matter, and plumbing) these natural simple assemblies produced the crowns in oudh legacy unparalleled until today. In that there is lesson for those who reflect.