dave999

Oud Fan
This is kind of my thinking out loud, making conclusions, and asking questions all at once. I'm fairly new to oud but have had an affinity for natural scents for about as long as I am old. I have recently come to the conclusion that I prefer an oud with a good base note to anchor it. I do like the flowery, green, spicey etc accords that fill the middle and top notes, but the base gives it that something extra.

So I've lately been trying to assess what different bases out there in the oud world. I've identified 2 basic "families" of base notes (so far). This is fairly coarse and I don't want to delineate 20 small variations of same-family type scents as seems to be done.
  1. A woody accord - in my limited experience I found most pronounced and focused in Kinamantan, but discernible in other ouds
  2. A "barnyard" scent
  3. Musky animalic (added)

As for number 2. I've smelled examples that came across as well composted, and not so well. I can appreciate the well composted, and don't find it offensive. It isn't really what I want to rub on myself though. (I also know where to get it for only $4 a cubit foot. :D)

The woody scent of 1. is delicious. This I would bathe in.

I don't have a feel for 3. I'm sure I've smelled it but couldn't describe or identify it.

Questions I have:
Are there other broad families of base notes in the oud world?
What are favorite examples of ouds you have tried that fit item 1. or another family?
What other thoughts do you have on this that doesn't seem to have registered with me yet?

Last edited: