5MeO

Kemewahan from Agar Aura - strong rich dark woody oil - the remains of what is left in the 3g bottle after I transferred most of it to high recovery vials has oxidized and has developed this wonderful kinamic note that I associate with oils like Oud Sultani, Kannan Koh, Ma Maroke, Purple Kinam, Kinamantan, and others - this note did not seem to be present before - overall this little bit of oil has become so much more rounded, soft, and lush than before - the non-oxidized oil in the high recovery v-vials smells about the same as before.. Amazing transformation!

Any oils that are doing wonderful things for you with age?

5MeO

welcome , usually any fine quality Oud with aged always give you wonderful aroma and even change to smooth and more long lasting that more than fresh oils and for more help with that you should open your new ouds from up and cover it with tesho or anything else to protected from dust and romove the water inside the Oud and also removed the bad smell of distillation...

Habz786

Resident Artisan & Ouddict Co-Founder
5meo nice to see you here welcome, i have a number of samples which have oxidised and compared to the full 3g bottles smell alot nicer in most cases. I'm not too sure how oxygen affects a oil but as its natural air i cant imagine it having a huge drastic impact on the oil? maybe some of the old timers can shed light on this? how many people can actual from the smell tell if a oil has been oxidised? to my knowledge it does tone down the top note and mellow the oil down a notch...

peter4ptv

R K Sons Double Super Assam, I left this one open for around 3 months in dark place no sunning no testing while was sitting open. I was just left breathless after when try it almost completely different oil it become one of the best Assams I have try ever. The oil was fresh distillation when I got it; I think was distilled around end of 2015. In the beginning of the year I got 3 oils from them, The Super went to the garbage was a horrible oil (was very cheap anyway) and was like boya at night or in below 70 degrees Fahrenheit was becoming solid. Their Haflong oil was excellent one just try a bit few times and left it to age more naturally in the closed bottle will not open for a while. Well the Double Super Assam was also very good but it was something like a bit off note that was probably because was very fresh distillation, so I decide it to leave it open for a while as many before recommend it may become better. Well I could not believe what difference that made the other day when I try for first time since left it open.

Any recommendations? is it going to get any more benefits from to keep it open for a few more months, or best as I like it very much right now just to close it and leave it for a bit more natural aging.

Thanks.

5MeO

Marokesh (FO) 2015 distilled I believe? First off this is an amazing oil - it is by far the most wintergreen fresh vibrant oil in my collection - longest lasting also aside from Kyarazen 1985. It smells like an arctic gale-force wind blowing through a menthol, tea leaf, and pine tree forest..

With some age I detect some lovely sweetness emerging and a richer liquor type quality...

I love oud!

jensz

Administrator
Staff member
So good to see you here 5MeO! Welcome welcome!!

I had a similar experience with Sumatra Q-Tiq (Feel-Oud), one of my favorite oils. A tiny half-drop was left in one of those plastic v-vials, and I inadvertently left it uncapped. A few weeks later, I noticed the drop at the bottom, and it had changed color (from emerald green to a brownish-gold) and the scent got deeeeeeper, in fact, it got so resiny-smelling it reminded me of Kemewahan! I love Q-Tiq as is, but am considering oxidizing some again, this time on purpose.

I think on BN I shared my view on this subject before…

in my opinion oxidation is not a proper ageing…

if oxidation takes place one may get a very vague impression on how oil will smell if aged properly…

(by aged properly i mean ageing in a closed container away from direct sunlight and at a temperature that is not too cold nor too hot…)

oxidised oil may loose a lot of character… the delicate top notes may escape as well as it impacts the over feel of a scent profit as a whole…

in other words if one could age an oil in a closed container that would be much more rewarding and the oil probably will smell much better… (but it will take much longer…)

however, it is not relevant if one want to cure the oil (as Peter mentioned)... for 1-4 weeks one may choose to keep the oil open if it was not cured properly beforehand…

this also applies if there are some unpleasant notes appear in the oil… stainless steel sharpness for instance, extremely barnyard or burned notes…

some people choose to age an oil open all the time… but we are talking 1kg bottles not 3ml… hihi... this brings a lot of benefit to the oil that originally was full of unpleasant notes… they often feeds away leaving one with a very smooth and rounded aroma yet it may become extremely flat totally missing top and middle notes… some choose to do it on purpose and may achieve a good results if the whole process of ageing is monitored and controlled properly and wisely…

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr.P

oud<3er
I think the oil still oxidizes in closed containers just more slowly . Oxidation is one of the inevitable chemical changes that occurs with aging. I agree that leaving a container open to accelerate oxidation is probably a terrible idea!

peter4ptv

Thanks Adam, now. I am done with my 3 months open bottle and will close it for a bit more natural aging.

5MeO

I think on BN I shared my view on this subject before…
in my opinion oxidation is not a proper ageing…

if oxidation takes place one may get a very vague impression on how oil will smell if aged properly…

(by aged properly i mean ageing in a closed container away from direct sunlight and at a temperature that is not too cold nor too hot…)

oxidised oil may loose a lot of character… the delicate top notes may escape as well as it impacts the over feel of a scent profit as a whole…

in other words if one could age an oil in a closed container that would be much more rewarding and the oil probably will smell much better… (but it will take much longer…)

however, it is not relevant if one want to cure the oil (as Peter mentioned)... for 1-4 weeks one may choose to keep the oil open if it was not cured properly beforehand…

this also applies if there are some unpleasant notes appear in the oil… stainless steel sharpness for instance, extremely barnyard or burned notes…

some people choose to age an oil open all the time… but we are talking 1kg bottles not 3ml… hihi... this brings a lot of benefit to the oil that originally was full of unpleasant notes… they often feeds away leaving one with a very smooth and rounded aroma yet it may become extremely flat totally missing top and middle notes… some choose to do it on purpose and may achieve a good results if the whole process of ageing is monitored and controlled properly and wisely…
This is good info and in line with what I have heard from others. I do not leave my little high recovery v-vials and bottle of oud open - instead I am aging them sealed and away from light for long term improvement. However, the little sample vials get the fast oxidatin aging and are very enjoyable to appreciate in the short term..

Al Shareef Oudh

Master Perfumer
There is a bit of debate in the intellectual circles regarding oxidation and the antioxidant properties of many oils that are extract from aromatic plants/woods. As such one should ask the question, do such oils oxidize?

If there are antioxidants in oudh like other essential oils does that mean oudh does not oxidize?....food for thought.

We know from research the oxidised or dimerised santalols in sandalwood that form overtime give a very positive aromatic contribution to the oils scent profile.

Last edited by a moderator:

5MeO

Khmer Klem Chan (AA) - this one is turning out awesome! Along with Oud Yusuf this is my current favorite Cambodi..

leviathan

There is a bit of debate in the intellectual circles regarding oxidation and the antioxidant properties of many oils that are extract from aromatic plants/woods. As such one should ask the question, do such oils oxidize?
If there are antioxidants in oudh like other essential oils does that mean oudh does not oxidize?....food for thought.

We know from research the oxidised or dimerised santalols in sandalwood that form overtime give a very positive aromatic contribution to the oils scent profile.
From a chemical point of view, "antioxidant" is an ambivalent term. Antioxidants are actually compounds that very easily oxidize, which in turn can prevent oxidation of other compounds. Say we want a certain food to keep from oxidizing (thereby losing flavor) - we add an antioxidant such as ascorbic acid. Ascorbic acid oxidizes very easily, thereby removing the oxygen molecules before they can oxidize the food.

To say that a certain oil contains "antioxidants" does not say anything about the effects of oxidation on that oil, it depends entirely on whether the antioxidants are part of the scent or not. As oud is steam distilled, all components are in principle volatile and potentially contribute to the oud scent.

As a side note, I would assume that dimerized santalol is too large a molecule to really affect scent? I suspect minor oxidation products to play a larger role in the scent of aged sandalwood.

Al Shareef Oudh

Master Perfumer
@leviathan

thank you for your contribution.

If we work on the premise that essential oil A, has a high level of antioxidant compounds and also that these do in fact contribute to the scents as you have proposed with steam distilled essential oils, will the antioxidant compounds oxidise until they are 'finished' then the other compounds go through an oxidization process? Or the newly form oxidation products create a barrier around the other compounds?

Regarding your side note, oxidation products do play a bigger role and the dimerised santalols are weak bounds how they contribute to the scent profile also depends on what happens to them as they disperse from the application surface and interact with the olfactory sensors. This article touches more on this interaction http://neuronresearch.net/neuron/pdf/8SignalGen-olfaction.pdf

leviathan

@leviathanIf we work on the premise that essential oil A' date=' has a high level of antioxidant compounds and also that these do in fact contribute to the scents as you have proposed with steam distilled essential oils, will the antioxidant compounds oxidise until they are 'finished' then the other compounds go through an oxidization process? Or the newly form oxidation products create a barrier around the other compounds?[/quote']
The antioxidant compounds would slow down the oxidation of the other compounds only as long as they themselves are not oxidized yet. So at some point the antioxidants would be "used up", and oxidation of other compounds would happen faster.

Regarding the dimerised santolols, I often find myself wondering what some of these compounds smell like on their own. Few people have probably smelled pure dimerised santolol, or some of the agarwood compounds (even though some are available in synthetic form I believe).

Is there, by the way, any consensus on what the best way to age an oil is? I have some oils that are obviously very freshly distilled and have some sharp notes for the first 5-10 minutes. I have read somewhere that one can just leave the bottle open for days, but it seems a bit harsh. I have also read that some distillers will leave the oil in direct sunlight for days.

leviathan said:

From a chemical point of view, "antioxidant" is an ambivalent term. Antioxidants are actually compounds that very easily oxidize, which in turn can prevent oxidation of other compounds. Say we want a certain food to keep from oxidizing (thereby losing flavor) - we add an antioxidant such as ascorbic acid. Ascorbic acid oxidizes very easily, thereby removing the oxygen molecules before they can oxidize the food.

To say that a certain oil contains "antioxidants" does not say anything about the effects of oxidation on that oil, it depends entirely on whether the antioxidants are part of the scent or not. As oud is steam distilled, all components are in principle volatile and potentially contribute to the oud scent.

As a side note, I would assume that dimerized santalol is too large a molecule to really affect scent? I suspect minor oxidation products to play a larger role in the scent of aged sandalwood.
You can open the lid and put a piece of cloth to protect it from dust and odors as well as unwanted fat for the new lute, as well as the sun, lighting can be used as well

leviathan said:

You can open the lid and put a piece of cloth to protect it from dust and the air will do miracles to change the smell for better way and removed bad smells of new distillation oud also some ppl use sun or hot light on the bottle of oud

leviathan For fresh oud to removed sharp notes that come from distillation you need to remove cap and cover it with tesho or cloth and leave air to make miracles also some distillers use sun or strong lights on the bottle

Mr B

Khmer Klem Chan (AA) - this one is turning out awesome! Along with Oud Yusuf this is my current favorite Cambodi..

Noticed this myself with the sample vial. Turning into a top notch Cambodi even though it was a bit arcid when first released.

Now its just the nicest smoothest English toffee caramel, dried red fruits and mahogany.