Mysore Sandalwood Distilling

Discussion in 'Tyson Mortensen' started by tyson, Jan 3, 2018.

1. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

most pics on bottom of page 3
    .Pictures of takakkaw falls in British Colombia Canada .
    Its pure glaciar water infused with the energies of the falls.
    This is the water we collected for my upcoming sandalwood oil

Takakkaw Falls. Takakkaw Falls /ˈtækəkɔː/ is a waterfall located in Yoho National Park, near Field, British Columbia, in Canada. Its highest point is 302 metres (991 ft) from its base, making it the 45th tallest waterfall in eastern British Columbia. However its true "free-fall" is only 260 metres (850 ft).

takakkaw-falls.jpg

SydnorIII, Arsalan, EHV and 7 others like this.
  2. jensz

jensz Administrator Staff Member

Stunning photos, Tyson, what an inspired idea to use that glacier water for your next sandal! You are really doing special things in a special way, to witness it sort of real time as you develop your project is very exciting and it's awfully nice that you share that with us. Thank you!

SydnorIII, Arsalan, EHV and 4 others like this.
  3. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

lets hope the sandal makes it though canadian customs here today or tomorow god willing !! and thank you for your kind words , really looking forward to this !

Arsalan, Joe King and EHV like this.
  4. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

36611088_10101374038094645_7123794441189457920_n.jpg

Beautiful patterns in the wood and fully resined , such euphoric sandal was hard to grind most of it up haha. saved a few chunks for people and now the rest is in the pot .

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    SydnorIII, Joe King, Sproaty and 6 others like this.
  5. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

Respected Tyson, is it Mysore Sandal?

6. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

Hello Dear Rai
    Yes its Mysore , the whole log was fully saturated in oil and resin . Im now into the 13 hour of distilling it and the oil produced is euphoric , ehreal ,flowery , soft milk and honey , citrus woody juices . This promises to be the best sandalwood oil ive made yet

7. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

When done with the distillation, would you please compare the new Santal with the previous batches- Snow and Celestial?

By the way, never mind my childish question please:Roflmao:.

jensz likes this.
  8. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

Yes forsure will do :) I find its best to remain childish with eyes of wonder and an empty cup

9. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

http://www.spectraplaza.com/melanger.html?spectra-11-stone-melanger-2

The next step...
    For my next sandalwood oil , i will be processing it differently. Using the above stone melanger i will grind the saw dusted mysore block into a very fine paste. The grinder can run strait for many days without problems. In this case i will gring for 24 hours a mix of sandalwood sawdust and water. Once collected i will freeze and thaw the slurry 3 times , i feel this process will open up the woods as much as possible as well as reducing distilling times.

KHH and Arsalan like this.
  10. Agil

Agil Whats this Oud About?

Great process Tyson. Distilling sandalwood paste would take the oil to a whole new level, and more accuracy reach the profile.

Stone grinding is the best. You are trying to make it as Authentic as possible in each and every step of your process! Bravo Tyson!

What is the speed of rotation of that stone grinder?

tyson likes this.
  11. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

The Spectra 11 has several changes including a newer ventillated and non-rotating lid, that allows you to view and to open the lid while running. The central connector has been redesigned to be able to lift out the stones easily and the drum made leak proof. A double scrapper arm arrangement introduced in 2013 ensures faster performance. Tension of the granite stones can be adjusted to obtain different grades of shear at different stages of grinding and for different ingredients. Double granite roller stones that rotate over a granite base. This creates tremendous shear that reduces the particle size of the order of less than 15 microns.

Not sure on its rotations per min but I find the tension to be the most important factor and as long as its not heating up past a certain temp then the rotation becomes not an important factor .
    This machine does about 600 grams and a few liters of water added at a time , takes about 7 hours in my testing to get it to the perfect point .

Attached Files:

Woodland Note, PEARL and Rai Munir like this.
  12. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

Curing 2 different mysore sandalwood oils . Most of the art of distilling is in the cure . It takes only 4-5 days to distill the oil but it takes many many years to cure it to perfection . Some oils this not a needed step but with wood oils I find than they can vastly change over the course of years . There is the initial drying step and then depending perhaps a open cure like the cups shown in the picture were I turn the oil everyday giving it some air to breath . We could sun the oil or other ways this is the art . Here is shown Aluhlaza Marakata on the left and Vajood on the right . With a lot of time and love these oils will be magnificent . WIN_20181008_11_44_31_Pro.jpg

13. SydnorIII

SydnorIII Barn Bro

i'm just starting to discover your journey with distillations. Great respect for your drive to do what only few will bother with. I will be watching your posts closely to learn just a smidge of what you know. awesome.

jensz and Bryan-I like this.
  14. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

your most kind my friend . blessings

SydnorIII likes this.

Promote Oud!