My First Oud Experience

Discussion in 'General' started by Woodland Note, Aug 4, 2018.

1. AbasFrag

AbasFrag Oud Burner

What a lovely read! Thanks for a great post :D

Woodland Note likes this.
  2. peter4ptv

peter4ptv Member

Excellent writing, and nose sensitivity.
    I will need 2 fat swipes to experience what you have with only a tiny dot.
    Can you please if you can describe more about:
    <<<<<This warm little sweet oudisness. >>>>>>>
    Will be very interesting what oudines is for someone new to oud.
    I know what exactly means when any oud user say smells oudy, but will be interesting what is for someone new to oud.
    Thank you

3. Grega

Grega Oud Fan

Indeed we do :Thumbsup:

Do you still listen to any metal bands? :D

4. Woodland Note

Woodland Note Oud Fan

And much more is coming, as we both know ;) But it will take some time...
    Thank you. :Thumbsup:

5. Woodland Note

Woodland Note Oud Fan

That is probably the most difficult part. :D Cause there is nothing else like this I ever smelled.

It’s certain pleasant olfactory experience...

Hmm... When you open a box of quality creamy tobacco cigarettes, the aroma is pleasant, it makes you want to squeeze one with your teeth. Is it tobacconess? When in a hot summer day, you receive a bowl of nice peppermint icecream dressed with freshly chopped mint, the scent is refreshing, chilly, is it mintness? Hmm... Oudiness is sweet too, it carries a sensation of temperature within the scent. And the strange thing is it might be at the same time cooling one time or warming the other time, depending on the circumstances I guess (maybe oil type, the surface from which you are smelling it, room temperature, I really don’t know.) It also seems to alter scents of some other things, making them much more pleasant.

If my pijama was smelling just “ok” with woolite color washing machine liquid, now it smells like top shelf perfume thanks to oud. (Well, actually even better to me, because I’ve never found much joy with any synthetic perfumes.)

That’s why I think it might be a great addition to some perfume blends when done right. :Thumbsup:

Grega and peter4ptv like this.
  6. Woodland Note

Woodland Note Oud Fan

I do :Thumbsup:, but they are only a certain percentage of what I listen to.
    I listen to many types of music, plenty of instrumental, ambient, different varieties of electronic music... and so much more.
    Days withouth any music are extremely rare for me.

My recent finding:

I’m a bit curious what kind of incense he is using? :rolleyes: And that beads... remind me of something too...:rolleyes:.
    Nonetheless, good music, and that is what matters here. :thumbsup:
    I recommend Internal Flight album, it’s free (or “name your price”) to download on his website. :Thumbsup:

Grega and Joe King like this.
  7. Joe King

Joe King AttitOud

@Woodland Note thanks for sharing:rolleyes:, I love almost all types of music especially the soul stirring kind:Inlove:

Grega and Woodland Note like this.
  8. Grega

Grega Oud Fan

Yep Estas is a decent guitarist.
    I think he has one of those common indian incense sticks.
    I honestly don't enjoy those but it is very nice to play guitar with some myrrh/frankincense/dragon's blood or bakhoor burning in the room :Thumbsup:
    And ambiental music :handok::handok:

I am the opposite. I rarely listen to music, prefer to make it ;). Although when I do listen I focus completely, I have a dislike for casual listening and could never stand the radio (extremely picky):X3:
    That's just how I roll :Roflmao:

9. Woodland Note

Woodland Note Oud Fan

But... but... in order to get picky one has to try a bit first, no?

Is there a chance you could share with us your music? ;)

Grega likes this.
  10. Woodland Note

Woodland Note Oud Fan

habz-oud-uv1.png habz-oud-uv2.png

Oud oil samples in UV light (2 x 4wat led, pointed from two sides, one from the left and one from the right).
    I have thought to myself it would be kind of cool to see how it looks in uv and I took pics to share with dear ouddicts.

All look quite the same, except for the zamarad, that is tad less bright.

11. Grega

Grega Oud Fan

:Whistling: Well it is only in the last few years that I don't listen to music much, high school and university years I listened way too much and mostly to seriously obscure bands and genres...now I am more laid back with it ;) but I prefer to listen every once in a while in the evening, in my bed, preferably with a nice oud to complement the experience ;) My attitude is now more that I want to make music a special experience, not just something in the background. Well with tea that also works ;)

I am actually grateful for the interest, sure I will share :praying:
    Right now I am recording the newest songs so when those are done I can send you a link! No promises when though ;)

12. Grega

Grega Oud Fan

Sweet! Do you have a favorite by now?

13. Woodland Note

Woodland Note Oud Fan

Thank you. :Thumbsup: I’m quite patient. ;)
    I listen to music daily. When I find something really nice I always try to get proper "full flavor" version (cd or lossless/uncompressed file) and get it on my hifi system (computer and especially youtube player is not the way for me to enjoy the music.)
    Perhaps I understand your approach. :Thumbsup:

All are unique and very nice but maybe Al Sukar, because it has potential to be blended in a perfume I would like to wear on special occasions. But I still need to try more. 1-2 swipes per each is tad too little for any definitive judgments. :Thumbsup:

Grega likes this.
  14. Woodland Note

Woodland Note Oud Fan

My oud experience from the 3 days ago:

Before the sleep, around 2 am, I was in a bed waiting for something. In my room temperature was 23°C. I decided to sniff oud while waiting. I took a few deep sniffs of the can interior with the 4 samples, trying to define oudiness.

I was thinking about valerian roots and steams scent when broken. Cause both share some of the same chemicals. It happens that I stumbled upon this plant a few weeks ago and I brought with myself steams and roots. It wasn’t too hard to spot with so many butterflies and other insects on its flowers.
    The scent is of course totally different in general, but I was wondering if there is some little common note within them or similar. I did not reach any conclusions. Both scents are different, if there is some common part I can’t distinguish it with my poor nose. Valerian steams and roots smell rooty, celery, earthy and a bit woody & musky. Oud is totally different animal.

Anyway, then I put the can by my pillow, 17-20cm from my nose, and I closed my eyes. The scent was amazing. The longer I smelled it the better it was getting. And it was quite intense, almost piercing. I was thinking to myself, why would I waste it for swiping, while this way I can enjoy it even more. (and also since those are quite small samples) And how long it lasts! I basically was smelling it with the same strength for an hour before closing still packed with the scent can. (I imagine that if I don't swipe and I keep samples closed the scent will be alive like this for many years.)

Well, perhaps a good thing would be to get 4 tiny cans, and keep each sample separately, to be able to sniff each oil sample separately and not the mix... Hmm... I’m not sure. I will think about it.

Anyway, oh my.... at some moments, when the oud and cool breeze was hitting my nose and I could focus on it the sensation was truly intoxicating, mind-blowing, sensual and almost spiritual. There is something crazy in this aroma, something that is touching deep. I have no words for this kid of experience yet, but I understand now why some say it’s psychoactive.

Well, I ‘ve tried my share of psychoactive things in my past, so, I know it’s not the same kind of thing. It’s just the way of the scent that is creating some unique sensation in the brain...

Sadly that moments were quite short, it was like 10 to max 30 seconds and I was losing the focus on that truly epic something and emerging from that depth into the surface of the scent.

I’ve tried to repeat that for the last 2 days, but I could not get into that depth again. Probably mosquitoes, high temperature, humidity and so on, not best conditions to focus on anything.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    Grega, Arsalan and alcolado glacial like this.
  15. Woodland Note

Woodland Note Oud Fan

I have quite a lot of new things to tell you... dear ouddicts. :D First of all I think I will mention that there is some progress about the scent in the can. It’s no longer smelling as intense as before. I would say at this moment it’s 20-30% of the previous intensity. Which is good and bad thing. Bad because I would not mind it going like this forever. XD The good thing is that logically it is self explanatory now, there had to be some “micro” splashes that occurred when I was opening the vials. I guess I can just open and close them again without even using any oil to get it back for another 2-5 weeks. :)

Joe King likes this.
  16. Woodland Note

Woodland Note Oud Fan

And now the big thing that has happened is that... I received 5 new oud oil samples! 3 different chips of agarwood wood, sandalwood shavings and sandalwood oil sample. I’m not disclosed to provide certain specifics of this deal though. But... I guess I can officially thank Ahmad and the Al Hashimi team. Thank you guys!

AbasFrag and Joe King like this.
  17. Ouddict

Ouddict Technical Support

You’re welcome... thanks for mentioning me, but I just dragged you over from Basenotes and don’t really merit mention. ;)

18. Woodland Note

Woodland Note Oud Fan

My first sandalwood impressions:
    (It's a bit off topic but I think I will continue the tale of my fragrant adventures here.)

Al Hashimi Sri Lankan Sandalwood Oil

This is something I imagined to be like this a bit.

When I opened the little bag with sandal wood shavings (sandalwood oil vial was there too) I immediately had this feeling that it is something familiar to me, and that I smelled it before.

This note... in some churches, in some cleaning sprays, in some perfumes.

Opening is very buttery (but not like dairy butter), somewhat woody, and it reminds me of some kind of wood paint scent too. On a few occasions I smelled freshly painted wood or metal stuff with some type of paint that had that something, that reminds me of this fragrance.

woodpaint-54-alt-rt.png

The fragrance is definitely evolving with the time passing and reduced scent concentration, to something more precious... like a blurry raw uncut gemstone turning into a precious one. The butterness is getting more sharp, full faceted and there is more wood accents after some time. (It’s like 15 minutes after the application by the way. I have applied much more than I did with the oud oils, you could say it’s a medium swipe I guess. I applied it on my forearm.)

After a few hours it smells to me more like full bodied perfume. Woody and buttery notes still there. And I'm not sure if it’s not my skin affecting the scent making it mour sour.

I cannot say that I’m disappointed. It delivers what I expected it to. But it’s not as extraordinary as agarwood is for me. ;) Not complaining at all though. It’s a pleasant, very nice scent. :Thumbsup:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  19. Woodland Note

Woodland Note Oud Fan

PS I have almost 3 pages long write up about one of the Al Hashimi's oud oils (I have tried it yesterday). I just need to correct typos. I will try to post it tomorrow. Stay tuned! XD

20. AbasFrag

AbasFrag Oud Burner

You’re most welcome dear @Woodland Note
    Looking forward to read your reviews.
    Enjoy :D

Ouddict and Woodland Note like this.

Promote Oud!