Faheem

Yusa Aromatics
The Kashmiri is super potent, if you smell it right near your nose it will pack a punch lol best to smell it from a little distance and let the air carry the scent, then you will enjoy its beauty

Oud_learner

The Kashmiri is super potent, if you smell it right near your nose it will pack a punch lol best to smell it from a little distance and let the air carry the scent, then you will enjoy its beauty

I have gotten some Kashmiri and Siberian musk grains from Faheem. While the Kashmiri is potent, this particular Siberian batch is no pushover either! While the Kashmiri did give me a punch in the face, the Siberian almost knocked me off my chair! :eek:

Interestingly I had another batch of Siberian grains purchased a while ago that was quite floral and only slightly animalic. Its smell however paled in comparison to Faheem's Siberian batch. :rolleyes: On the side note, my previous Kashmiri batch (also from Faheem) is a lot more potent than the current batch. Just to show there is definitely variation in the aroma between different batches of grains even from the same region.

I have gotten some Kashmiri and Siberian musk grains from Faheem. While the Kashmiri is potent, this particular Siberian batch is no pushover either! While the Kashmiri did give me a punch in the face, the Siberian almost knocked me off my chair! :eek:

Interestingly I had another batch of Siberian grains purchased a while ago that was quite floral and only slightly animalic. Its smell however paled in comparison to Faheem's Siberian batch. :rolleyes: On the side note, my previous Kashmiri batch (also from Faheem) is a lot more potent than the current batch. Just to show there is definitely variation in the aroma between different batches of grains even from the same region.

the Kashmiri musk are strongest musk aroma i really love it i like every musk but this one more powerful i cant forget when i get it from faheem and i was just come from work and i find the package in my room without see any names of the package i was already know what inside because my room was full of musk smell !

Pyrone

Oud Beginner
I have another bottle of Deer Musk Macerated in Sandalwood Oil. Very Potent. Anything from between 0.2gr sample to 3gr available.

You know the drill, PM me or email [email protected], first come first serve as always :)
Greetings. I have been quite busy with family and work, however I see that some have been enjoying heavenly fragrances. If anyone could give me some info about where to purchase some good grains it would be most appreciated. Just p.m or email me. Thanks

Habz786

Resident Artisan & Ouddict Co-Founder
Greetings. I have been quite busy with family and work, however I see that some have been enjoying heavenly fragrances. If anyone could give me some info about where to purchase some good grains it would be most appreciated. Just p.m or email me. Thanks

I purchased mine from @Faheem. Siberian very nice and he showed me the full process of taking grains out of the pod etc. On a side note does a older more mature deer produce higher quality musk? Do musk grains get smoother as they age? how can you tell one set of grains is better than another?

Al Shareef Oudh

Master Perfumer
I purchased mine from @Faheem. Siberian very nice and he showed me the full process of taking grains out of the pod etc. On a side note does a older more mature deer produce higher quality musk? Do musk grains get smoother as they age? how can you tell one set of grains is better than another?

very good questions.

The intensity of the musk scent depends on the age of the deer and what the beast is grazing on. It isn't as simple as one regions musk is better than the other regions musk. It is dependent a few different factors, such as the age of the deer, the time of the year which determines where they are at and what they are feeding on. Then post acquisition of the musk, how it has been stored and kept also determines the final profile.

Another very important item to note is, are you smell moist grains or correctly dried grains. Once the musk pod is separated from the animal it should be cleaned and dried immediately otherwise the decaying of the pod and its contents add a fecal element to the scent profile. Receiving moist grains means that over time you will lose a considerable amount of mass.

Finally no blending or perfumery work should be carried out on wet grains as the instability is like firing in the dark, the final result can not be correctly estimated.

F4R1d0uX

Resident Artisan
very good questions.

The intensity of the musk scent depends on the age of the deer and what the beast is grazing on. It isn't as simple as one regions musk is better than the other regions musk. It is dependent a few different factors, such as the age of the deer, the time of the year which determines where they are at and what they are feeding on. Then post acquisition of the musk, how it has been stored and kept also determines the final profile.

Another very important item to note is, are you smell moist grains or correctly dried grains. Once the musk pod is separated from the animal it should be cleaned and dried immediately otherwise the decaying of the pod and its contents add a fecal element to the scent profile. Receiving moist grains means that over time you will lose a considerable amount of mass.

Finally no blending or perfumery work should be carried out on wet grains as the instability is like firing in the dark, the final result can not be correctly estimated.

Yes Allahuma berek I learnt that from you.

Musk grains should be taken totaly dried and cleaned (hair removed) to get correct final weight and to be nice to smell.

It's known that clear grains are better and for the rest off course it depend on what deer was used to eat too.

AbasFrag

Oud Burner
very good questions.

Thank you wallah I didn't know. Next time I will ask if it's dry and cleaned before buying. From the 2g I've bought totally I've lost more than 0,6g because of drying and I had to remove hair as well.

Oud_learner

Yes Allahuma berek I learnt that from you.

Musk grains should be taken totaly dried and cleaned (hair removed) to get correct final weight and to be nice to smell.

It's known that clear grains are better and for the rest off course it depend on what deer was used to eat too.

How does one dried the grains? Just by airing it? I always thought dried grains would be less fragrant. How does clear grains look like? Hmm I better go air my grains now!

Faheem

Yusa Aromatics
From my personal experience with musk, fresh grains have always given me the best and strongest smell when mecerated in sandalwood. I have dried grains before but they loose weight and smell, causing a weak blend. Many sources of musk have also told me this and the Kashmiri hakim would not even open the jar of musk for me to smell as he said few dollars worth of musk will evaporate as soon as the air hits it. So yes fresh grains will loose weight as they dry over time unless kept in air tight jars. This is why I always recommend people to use the grains asap to avoid loosing any weight.

Its a question of personal choice if you want to dry the grains and loose its strength or use them fresh. People have said that fresh grains have strong ammonia smell, yes it does but that will not cause bad smelling blends. Iv made many blends to know that this is correct.

Some people dry the grains then crush them to make them soft again with gently using pestle and morter, again that their personal preference. I recomment people experiment with both fresh and dry grains to see what works best for them.

I will never offer dried grains as i feel its a waste to let something so precious just evaporate in thin air.

Im no expert but thats just my personal experience. I will leave rest to the experts ;)

Last edited: