Mumbai Advice & Recommendations? Sandalwood, Agarwood & Their Oils

Discussion in 'General' started by AbuTominaga, Sep 11, 2018.

1. AbuTominaga

AbuTominaga Whats this Oud About?

Hello Everyone,

I'll be traveling to Colaba/Mumbai for the weekend and I would love to get your advice and recommendations.

Sandalwood and Sandalwood oils.
    Agarwood and Agarwood oils.

Thanks.

2. Ashfaque

Ashfaque Analogue Oud

Attar Mohamed Ayub & Co., and S. Md. Ayub Md. Yaqub - probably Abdul Rashid is worth a visit too (if you do, please let me know how their oils are). Whilst you're in India, try to grab some of the ruhs (E/O) and absolutes from Pranjal (M.L. Ramnarain) - top notch stuffs.

Re sandalwood oils*: try to get some from Ali Brothers Perfumers (Kannauj). Not sure if they have store in Mumbai. If you can't, buy some from Attar Mohammed Ayub & Co. (which I did). They're good too.

* I rarely use sandalwood neat - sooner or later, I end up adding some rose, oud or both on the same spot. lol. So if you're looking for high end Santalum album then Zakir is the best person.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    Arsalan, Sproaty and AbuTominaga like this.
  3. AbuTominaga

Thank you very very very much brother! I will only be in colaba and mumbai for 2 days. Figuring out which places to go and so on.

I will definitely go to the shops you recommended.

As some of the ouddicts i know and as a personal expectation, i don't think one can get his hands on pure oud oil there. I think most of the oils are going to be mixed to suit the gulf taste and so on. But even that can have a very nice smell and olfactory experience.

I have had quarter a tola of an attar called oud raisi from abdul rasheed, and it's apparent that it has synthetic musk and maybe a touch of oud, but it's one attar that i do enjoy.

When you mentioned sandalwood oil, do you mean whatever is there is mixed? Not pure santalum album? Sandalwood and oil is indeed a rare thing to get one's hands on.

I'll check with Zak as you recommended. Any idea how much 3 ml or 10 ml cost?

You've been of a great help brother Ashfaque. I'm based in Ajman/UAE. Let me know if you need anything from this region. Cheers bro.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Ashfaque and Arsalan like this.
  4. AbuTominaga

I've just checked, ali brothers have a branch in mumbai. But M N Rramnarin don't.

I'll check all of what you mentioned and update you.

Thanks again

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

5. Ashfaque

Ashfaque Analogue Oud

Thank you very much for your kind offer. May be in the future I'll seek your help. But not now as I have way too many things on the list at the moment. lol
    No. It is a bit complicated to answer in short. The following applies only for S. album oils distilled from trees grown in the state of Karnataka
    - Within India I trust KSHDC, Attar Mohammed Ayub & Co, Ali Brothers Perfumers, and S. Md. Ayub Md. Yaqub.
    - Most of the currently available oils are distilled from relatively younger trees (< 50 years). I'm sure there are some other trusted sources, which i do not know.
    - You probably noticed I excluded artisanally distilled oils, with only one exception (Mysore Santal Classic) from Zakir. Mainly for two reasons:
    - It wasn't distilled by him. IIRC, it was done by the govt. agency.
    - More crucially (for me), it is also relatively cheaper than Mysore sandalwood oils from other artisans - so relatively affordable for blending. I use sandalwood mainly for attars.​
    - For me sandalwood is the kingmaker of any oil-blend as it allows other oils to bloom. It is also an excellent material for maceration for deer musk, saffron (requires a long time though), ambergris amongst others. For such things, oils distilled from relatively younger trees is not a big factor for me.
    - Most S. album oils, even from the trusted sources, are distilled from relatively younger trees.
    - From outside India, it would be Jospeh that I'd be buying Mysore sandalwood oil from - at least sample it. sadly I haven't be able to yet. May be next year. :)
    I don't think Ali Brother Perfumers have any branch in Mumbai. http://www.alibrothersperfumers.com/about-us.php
    - Two days are a bit short for shopping, especially from other areas of India to be shipped to your location in Mumbai. If you know someone from there, perhaps you can tell him to buy certain items in advance, if possible. Otherwise, it's not worth the trouble. If you able to find someone, try to grab some directly from KSHDC. They're the official/govt. sandalwood oil distiller of Karnataka (Mysore). However, please do note that they now also use relatively younger trees.

Joe King and Sproaty like this.

Promote Oud!