Votes: 11 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 54 70.1%
  • Unsure

Votes: 12 15.6%

• Total voters

F4R1d0uX

Resident Artisan
FWIW, I don't think anyone's comments on this topic are out of line.

About oud as an investment. Almost no investment is guaranteed to make a return. Maybe government bonds that make a trivial 0.01% return, or oceanfront property in Malibu for which you need millions to even consider, but even that is risky: maybe it will fall into the ocean and you will lose everything. Okay, so Ensar specifically marketed oud oils as an investment . . . it is up to the buyer to reason through whether that makes sense, whether they are comfortable with the risk, whatever. At the end of the day, at least you still have a splendid oud oil!

If you are considering oud as an investment, that calls on you to bring a higher level of sophistication to your buying decision other than just "will I enjoy this oil?" And you should account for perhaps it might not "pay off," or perhaps not in your ideal time frame. And if you are looking to profit handsomely from re-selling oud oils, then it is hypocritical to fault vendors for prices being allegedly "unfair" or inflated.

I don't view oud oil as an investment; it is first and foremost an aesthetic experience for me. Anyway, my pocketbook and my knowledge about the oud market are too limited for me to think I have any basis for investment-oriented purchases. However, for those disappointed at not being able to make a massive return on your investment, again, at least you have the oil itself which has an irreducible value, and if we're going to be all financial about it, that is a form of insurance that your "investment" will not become worthless.

Clap Clap Madam hat down !

Ouddict

Ouddict Co-Founder & Tech Support
Actualy I dont know him that much and he is not alone.

100$ was for a good reason, I have my own trusted network but yes I cannot afford some bottles.

The problem is focusing on one person you are right I realize.

The man I'm referring to diserves respect to be the first westerner to bring oud to West.

His competitors are mostly his formers clients.

He was the first and maybe have sometimes the best oils.

My intention was a message that will hopefully be red.

Someone must accept competition and controls his soul even if it's hard to see a market gathered now.

There are good practices to keep as other competitors do.

In my philosophy (in general I point no one here) : you should not lie on a product, you cannot sell something you have not in your possession, you dont sell with interrests, you dont stab your competitor.

It's just about that, if people did overbidding upon my point and ended out messed up, again I'm sorry and I'm still ready to delet my post brother.

I honestly don't think there is a need to delete. What you posted was pretty clear. That Oud is being sold as a potential investment and then when a customer is selling, they are having the sale taken by private messages. This has happened in the past and it's what Kooolaid basically wrote.

What F4R1d0uX is asking is whether this is fair on the customer who is now selling privately... that there is a general message that anyone considering buying it should first go to Ensar who will then try and sell the Oud or something better... To a customer selling his oud that comes across as sales hijacking and what is worse is that these Ouds were clearly advertised as the best, unrivalled etc and sold at prices up to $10,000 and then advertised on sales banners as a sales tactic. But now that customer is told actually the vendor has something better. It's wrong on two fronts:

1. It's unfair to a loyal customer.

2. The oud that was sold as an investment, but this cannot be realised as sales are taken away as a policy which has only been made clear now - but it was suspected for a while now.

For me personally, I have a decent amount of Ensar's oldest Ouds - that were sold as the best ever. Apparently now there are better and I'm sure this will continue as infinitum. I have made the decision not to sell his Ouds again precisely due to these tactics.

By the way, most of us did not buy Oud as an investment - I certainly did not. I had the chance to buy literally 50 bottles of Kyara LTD and Oud Royale back in 2007 and had the money, but invested elsewhere. What I did buy, I gave a third away - almost 10 bottles. So this isn't about money per se. It's about principle and for a vendor to try and divert sales of his own Oud that customers have bought is not the best marketing.

@Ammar The Kyara LTD was sold as the best at the time and for you to say that V2 or whatever is better means nothing to me as I can clearly see what has happened in that regard. Anyway, I will leave the details for an appropriate time. I have plenty to say on this matter, but not at this moment.

F4R1d0uX

Resident Artisan
I honestly don't think there is a need to delete. What you posted was pretty clear. That Oud is being sold as a potential investment and then when a customer is selling, they are having the sale taken by private messages. This has happened in the past and it's what Kooolaid basically wrote.

What F4R1d0uX is asking is whether this is fair on the customer who is now selling privately... that there is a general message that anyone considering buying it should first go to Ensar who will then try and sell the Oud or something better... To a customer selling his oud that comes across as sales hijacking and what is worse is that these Ouds were clearly advertised as the best, unrivalled etc and sold at prices up to $10,000 and then advertised on sales banners as a sales tactic. But now that customer is told actually the vendor has something better. It's wrong on two fronts:

1. It's unfair to a loyal customer.

2. The oud that was sold as an investment, but this cannot be realised as sales are taken away as a policy which has only been made clear now - but it was suspected for a while now.

For me personally, I have a decent amount of Ensar's oldest Ouds - that were sold as the best ever. Apparently now there are better and I'm sure this will continue as infinitum. I have made the decision not to sell his Ouds again precisely due to these tactics.

By the way, most of us did not buy Oud as an investment - I certainly did not. I had the chance to buy literally 50 bottles of Kyara LTD and Oud Royale back in 2007 and had the money, but invested elsewhere. What I did buy, I gave a third away - almost 10 bottles. So this isn't about money per se. It's about principle and for a vendor to try and divert sales of his own Oud that customers have bought is not the best marketing.

@Ammar The Kyara LTD was sold as the best at the time and for you to say that V2 or whatever is better means nothing to me as I can clearly see what has happened in that regard. Anyway, I will leave the details for an appropriate time. I have plenty to say on this matter, but not at this moment.

I'm still sorry but on what it can affect people fond of oud ...

Sincerely brother you are older than me in this world you know better than me.

My little knowledge tells me there are oriscent bottles and Ensar bottles.

Someone told me that he released an oil at a very fair price that was "oriscent", archipelago I think so I understand why people jumped on it ...

Ammar

True Ouddict

I haven't tried both and as I said it was attested by others not myself. If I have the chance to test both in the future I may do a comparison between them, then whatever you've said also means nothing to me at that time....

jensz

Administrator
Staff member
@Ouddict, those points are all well-taken. It is a little awkward when the seller and purchaser end up being competitors -- the seller selling his original creations and the purchaser reselling them at a profit -- but I find it hard to fault the original seller for wanting to still get the continuing business. Not to be harsh, but probably Ensar didn't assure anyone that he would not continue to sell the same or better oils himself. However, I do see from your point of view how the "investment" marketing and related conduct may be a kind of sharp business practice. All of this returns again to the question of transparency in a market, and a related question of predictability. This forum is increasing transparency or at least information-sharing among ouddicts, which is good for us all. I'm really glad you and others shared their experiences like this, because maybe this will help people better understand what the risks are and have healthy skepticism when considering purchasing oud oil as an investment.

And hey if you find yourself wanting to offload some of your excess Oriscent inventory I know some chic in California who will take them free of charge!! ;)

firdaous

Oud Kinamic
Someone told me that he released an oil at a very fair price that was "oriscent", archipelago I think so I understand why people jumped on it ...

@F4R1douX you are quite new in the game and everyone who already deal with Ensar knows that he will NEVER release a Oriscent oil for $390 only!

F4R1d0uX

Resident Artisan
@Ouddict, those points are all well-taken. It is a little awkward when the seller and purchaser end up being competitors -- the seller selling his original creations and the purchaser reselling them at a profit -- but I find it hard to fault the original seller for wanting to still get the continuing business. Not to be harsh, but probably Ensar didn't assure anyone that he would not continue to sell the same or better oils himself. However, I do see from your point of view how the "investment" marketing and related conduct may be a kind of sharp business practice. All of this returns again to the question of transparency in a market, and a related question of predictability. This forum is increasing transparency or at least information-sharing among ouddicts, which is good for us all. I'm really glad you and others shared their experiences like this, because maybe this will help people better understand what the risks are and have healthy skepticism when considering purchasing oud oil as an investment.

And hey if you find yourself wanting to offload some of your excess Oriscent inventory I know some chic in California who will take them free of charge!! ;)

Clap Clap again and give you my hat before having a lumbago :p

I share your point of view there are thousands of less risky investments and consider oud as an olfactory experience that affects positively my emotions

F4R1d0uX

Resident Artisan
@F4R1douX you are quite new in the game and everyone who already deal with Ensar knows that he will NEVER release a Oriscent oil for $390 only!

I cannot comment since I dont know.

I know it would be hard to believe but I past my fe time experience focusing on oud as a product more than oud sellers ...

jensz

Administrator
Staff member
Clap Clap again and give you my hat before having a lumbago :p

I share your point of view there are thousands of less risky investments and consider oud as an olfactory experience that affects positively my emotions

thanks F4R1d0uX but please don't overdo, giving yourself a lumbago will surely impede your oud applying abilities. THEN what?

Habz786

Resident Artisan & Ouddict Co-Founder
Anyways guys i think its unfair if people have purchased Oud as investment and then the seller has tried to stop or influence those sales and re-direct them towards himself. However if there isn't proof of this lets leave the matter there, as i have had no such experience myself. People can make up their own minds from what they see, read & hear and at the end of the day we are all here because we love Oud. Sometimes in life you have to agree to disagree and carry on and respect each others views.

F4R1d0uX

Resident Artisan
Anyways guys i think its unfair if people have purchased Oud as investment and then the seller has tried to stop or influence those sales and re-direct them towards himself. However if there isn't proof of this lets leave the matter there, as i have had no such experience myself. People can make up their own minds from what they see, read & hear and at the end of the day we are all here because we love Oud. Sometimes in life you have to agree to disagree and carry on and respect each others views.

No I'm here because I love you :cool:

IM_AU

Oud Fan
Wow... so much discussion on oud as an investment... this discussion should reside in its proper thread for proper referencing... there was a thread I created earlier 'Wild Oud an Investment or Illusion' unfortunately it did not attracted a lot of discussion then...

JohnH

True Ouddict
Wow... so much discussion on oud as an investment... this discussion should reside in its proper thread for proper referencing... there was a thread I created earlier 'Wild Oud an Investment or Illusion' unfortunately it did not attracted a lot of discussion then...
Thanks for highlighting this, I shall move today's posts on this subject to there.

Edit: Someone has beaten me to it!

firdaous

Oud Kinamic

Bravo Amigo you literally knocked me out with all your last posts!So real and so true!