• No

Votes: 54 70.1%
  • Unsure

Votes: 12 15.6%

• Total voters

IM_AU

Oud Fan
Hi Guys,

Being in the Oud world for some time now I am looking to gather feedback as to how people think investing in Wild Oud Oil. The general impression I get from looking at the Vendors statements and on forums, it appears like Wild Oud is getting expensive at a rapid pace as well as availability is also becoming an issue. These are the symptoms of a great investment opportunity but…. Is that really the case?

I am putting few questions and will appreciate if I can get some feedback from Consumer and also from Vendor’s perspective.

1. Is it viable/good opportunity to invest in Wild Oud Oil now? Since plenty is still available from reputable vendors.

2. Keeping your investment in these oils for 5-10 years, what are the chances of getting good returns? The understating I am getting is that, in 10 years’ time market will be full of cultivated oud, so if someone is carrying reputable Wild Oils from big Vendors will have a great chance of making some profit.

(However my personal experience is telling me a different story, just look at the market place on the forum it is really hard to sell a good quality (reputable and famous) Oil even at the cost price… people are not willing to pay the advertised price, also people are reluctant to buy from a private seller. So in these sort of circumstance I think it will be a very high risk investment for an individual- Please correct me if I am wrong in my assumptions.)

3. For last 5 years I am hearing this statement that Wild Oil is running out however every now and then we are getting introduced with new wild oils… is this just a sales tactic?

4. In current offerings which oils are the best candidate for investment or for ageing?

Thanks

Mr.P

oud<3er
I am guessing it is risky, though I do see people managing to sell stuff for a profit from time to time. I don;t know the answers to your questions though. I don't know what to make of the ongoing demise of wild oud. I could swear I read quite a bit of "no more wild oud will be produced" quite a few years ago, yet it keeps popping up. It is hard to know what to believe!

Hi Guys,

Being in the Oud world for some time now I am looking to gather feedback as to how people think investing in Wild Oud Oil. The general impression I get from looking at the Vendors statements and on forums, it appears like Wild Oud is getting expensive at a rapid pace as well as availability is also becoming an issue. These are the symptoms of a great investment opportunity but…. Is that really the case?

I am putting few questions and will appreciate if I can get some feedback from Consumer and also from Vendor’s perspective.

1. Is it viable/good opportunity to invest in Wild Oud Oil now? Since plenty is still available from reputable vendors.

2. Keeping your investment in these oils for 5-10 years, what are the chances of getting good returns? The understating I am getting is that, in 10 years’ time market will be full of cultivated oud, so if someone is carrying reputable Wild Oils from big Vendors will have a great chance of making some profit.

(However my personal experience is telling me a different story, just look at the market place on the forum it is really hard to sell a good quality (reputable and famous) Oil even at the cost price… people are not willing to pay the advertised price, also people are reluctant to buy from a private seller. So in these sort of circumstance I think it will be a very high risk investment for an individual- Please correct me if I am wrong in my assumptions.)

3. For last 5 years I am hearing this statement that Wild Oil is running out however every now and then we are getting introduced with new wild oils… is this just a sales tactic?

4. In current offerings which oils are the best candidate for investment or for ageing?

Thanks

well if you want my humble advice leave this marketing storys and buy something for your personal use buy what you love what u like , by the way i have some expansive oud unused ...

Last edited:

Habz786

Resident Artisan & Ouddict Co-Founder
Hey very interesting topic im suprised more ouddicts havent chimmed into this one. We have been hearing about the "end of oud" for many years now and without a doubt oud or lets say wild oud is becoming rarer by the day. I do feel alot of hyped marketing has taken place and influenced customers to think oud is running out tommorow which isnt the case. Taha on his recent jungle trips has had no luck finding trees worth harvesting and credit due to him for being so involved with his oils. This is an indication that without a doubt wild agarwood is running out, however there maybe hunters who are finding trees that we dont hear about so its hard to judge how long we have left, as we have heard many different views from vendors/ouddicts. I don't think most cultivation efforts will remain ethical as the hunger for $ has taken over the passion for the scent, inoculation, young harvests etc. are all issues which lead to a poor oil. I have smelt great plantaion oils and i do hope these continue but i just dont get the same wow factor with these oils compared to the wild oils in most cases. Also as you said plenty of wild oils are being released so im sure theres still wild wood stocks which are available on the market. I think Oud is an investment like anything which is becomming scarce by the day. I think its worth buying within your means oils that you can enjoy and maybe one day sell to make a profit, i can see this being likely but i wouldnt be able to say i think 2, 5 or 10 years but i doubt it would a very long time away. With consumers being educated and having a better understanding with more reputable vendors, forums, studies etc. its upto an individual to establish the scenario and whats worth buying and whats not worth buying. Ensars oils are a good investment as i have seen his oils sell for high ammounts, however these were the old oriscent legends and the newer oils are hard to sell as i have experienced personally even at cost price or with some profit on top.

hasans1412

Resident Artisan
Indeed it's an interesting topic! I have thought about that for awhile. And I have mixed feelings but I know where I stand personally.

Purely based on economically monetary value, the share markets are wide open for investment or even ISA accounts. It's less of an headache per say.

As for taking Oud oil as investments, there are many factors at play that will decide the profit margin you expect to gain down the years to come. The vendors reputation, the reviews of the users, the original listed price, the buyers wallet size, the type of buyer, the amount of oil you have and many more... which will indeed reduce the size of your possible buyers. Personally, I think the safer way if you want to invest in Oud is that to first like the oil a lot yourself and be able to have few bottles on demand, that way the worst possibility isn't too bad, otherwise a bottle here and there I don't think will give you much of an investment in economical sense. Ofcourse, it's easier to resell the oils at the cost price or slightly above that, but that's not really an investment per say. By all means if you can get a good quality oil of few tolas, and lucky enough to find a buyer in the Arab market then you can call that an investment quite worthwhile.

The points above are purely in monetary terms, NOT for a single weight of the love of Oud as many of us share. Since if we consider that, then we will have to deal with blind love. Hope that makes sense.

Al Shareef Oudh

Master Perfumer
If we look at the Indian market example for the last 30 years the majority of oudh coming from India is plantation, they demand an excellent price and India will lead in producing excellent cultivated wood and the rest will follow. There will always be demand for this item in the market, however the real global market on oudh is where the online market needs to head.

F4R1d0uX

Resident Artisan
Keep investing guys !
You would sell soon legends at better price than gold !

Thank you brother @kooolaid79 for having shown what happens behind the curtains !

Attachments

• IMG-20170224-WA0074.jpg
    IMG-20170224-WA0074.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 430
  • IMG-20170224-WA0078.jpg
    IMG-20170224-WA0078.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 451

jalil

Oud bully
its a fact guy...its a fact!

Maybe the better way is to let vendors resell or oud?

jalil

Oud bully
OK hold on guys! @F4R1d0uX I might be missing the point here but can you explain more? Thanks

Read the advertising behind Ensar...and after read what Khoolaid say on gaharu...you get it?

jalil

Oud bully
that oud is a good investment

JohnH

True Ouddict
OK I think most people somehow agreed in previous thread about this topic that it might not be the best idea for investment although others still believe in that.

But how is this related to @kooolaid79 post?
Because he posted that it is always worth asking Ensar if he has a certain oil before buying it privately from elsewhere. Which is a fair point and I don't really think this negates the investment opportunities in buying certain ouds.

jalil

Oud bully
if you buy a oud for investment like what ensar suggest, you have to resell it to get your benefit...right?

JohnH

True Ouddict
if you buy a oud for investment like what ensar suggest, you have to resell it to get your benefit...right?
Of course but I'm guessing Ensar doesn't have an endless supply of a given oil so eventually they will become rare and hard to find. Investments only work if there are people who want a certain item at a later date and are prepared to pay the price being asked. By looking at eBay and other listings it seems to me that people are finding it hard to sell their higher priced ouds though or even those being sold at close to original price.