Initiative - Source Shavings To Resulting Oil (oud Representation)

Discussion in 'General' started by powdernose, Dec 4, 2018.

1. powdernose

powdernose Oud Sprite

After discussions in the typicity thread
    http://www.ouddict.com/threads/typicity-typicality-accuracy-cost-oud-oil-representing-oud-wood.1547/
    it had been suggested to me that I should try and find a source for oud oils from shavings, one that would be able to provide the actual source material for comparison.
    @Rasoul Salehi later suggested a 'kickstarter type campaign', to fund oud exploration.
    I think it is a good idea to actually try and walk the walk, so I'll be looking into directly contacting distillers until I find one that will accommodate this type of request at a low enough volume. I'll of course also be aiming at a decent level of transparency regarding the entire process.
    I like Rasoul's idea of collective funding because if a couple of people (10?) join and sponsor this initiative, then it becomes a lot easier to implement.
    If anybody is interested in joining me on this journey, post a little message here, or just pm me.
    Consider this step one, setting the baseline. If we complete this step, we can move on to even bigger projects.

@Rasoul Salehi, are you in?

2. Rasoul Salehi

Rasoul Salehi Oud Fanatic

I am in. 100% I think if we do multi tier donation blocks it will help everyone to contribute within their means. Someone may be interested to chip in $20 some $50 some few hundred. Would be so ni e to have each and Every ouddict member donate. Something. Anything that is in their ability.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    powdernose and Arsalan like this.
  3. Rasoul Salehi

How about two distillers. Very different approaches. Would be awesome to shelf this project until we can raise big enough funds to have a comprehensive study.

Rai Munir likes this.
  4. powdernose

powdernose Oud Sprite

Slow down :)
    I'm talking about a little first step in this direction.
    To set a baseline and to test general feasibility.

Yes, the aim is to gather enough sponsors so that the outlay remains reasonable,
    but what I am talking about is having each of the contributors receive some of the resulting oil alongside the source shavings.
    There will be direct reward for participation.
    If it is proves a successful initiative then future ones can expand in scope.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Rasoul Salehi and Woodland Note like this.
  5. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

Can we have a tentative estimate about the total cost? It would make the destination line clear.

The way we are keen about somewhat blanketed matters, everybody would contribute. The less will be more for the executor of the project. I personally am keen to learn what I could never even get the remotest glimpse of those realities.

I am thankful to the distillers and vendors who generously imparted and shared a lot. And of course, genuinely functional contribution from worthy members, including veterans and would be veterans.

I must refer to the Blind Test Project, the results majorly endorsed what respected vendors and distillers shared, though mostly willy-nilly and blanketed. No doubt, some points were there where the previous knowledge turned to be taboo now. Thank goodness.

Now more is to be done, for our own better understanding. In the end, it will be a valuable contribution to the Oud legacy.

rojas, Arsalan, powdernose and 3 others like this.
  6. powdernose

powdernose Oud Sprite

Yes, hopefully this can turn into a valuable contribution!

I don't have an estimate, I was thinking of taking interest first to see what kind of leverage I can exercise.
    But if you are looking for an initial target number, let us say 1000$,
    something that even a lowly 5 ouddicts might be able to swing.

Joe King likes this.
  7. Rasoul Salehi

i hope we can raise much much more than that. would be great to get an official guild going with a treasurer, director, mandate, etc. I will be more than pleased to donate oils, wood (will be tiny volumes for most part) and better yet $$$. right off the bat, you can chalk me up for $250. hopefully, financially things pick up for us Canadians and our dollar starts climbing. 18 month low today!!! it was only yesterday we were at par or even better and now we are 38% poorer.

Woodland Note and Joe King like this.
  8. powdernose

powdernose Oud Sprite

Good idea.

At the moment though I'm interested in going on projects on a case by case basis.
    If they are completed successfully, I think momentum will build and bigger and greater things can be achieved.

:handok: I'll hold you to that.

I don't recall reading about that.
    Was it done behind the scenes?

Yes that is the premise.
    The distiller will be someone as close to the ground as possible, with best access to shavings
    and one willing to go low volume and follow the parameters and requisites.

The lower grade of shavings.
    To set a baseline and to test general feasibility.
    I want to be able to make a direct correlation between the actual feedstock and the resulting oil, starting at the base quality.
    We might even do a GCMS test.
    If it goes well, we can move up the quality ladder.

That's me, @Rai Munir , @Rasoul Salehi and @PEARL so far,
    It doesn't take many more to actually start acting on this.
    Anybody else?

Woodland Note and Rai Munir like this.
  9. Sarfraz

Sarfraz Whats this Oud About?

If that is the premise, we contribute X amount to source wood from someone and distil it, then I’m in.

I don’t have many requests but as long as it’s fully transparent.

PM me please because I don’t check the forum other than sometimes skimming though popular posts from the weekly digest email.

powdernose likes this.
  10. Sarfraz

Sarfraz Whats this Oud About?

I am also open to contribute towards financing a trip for someone who can buy wood from the market, find a distiller. Overlook the whole process and ship out ouds to investors. That I think might be a better option. Baby steps.

powdernose and Arsalan like this.
  11. Sproaty

Sproaty Boudly

count me in too but February is probably a better time for me, finance wise.

powdernose likes this.
  12. powdernose

powdernose Oud Sprite

I'll count you in then.
    Yes, baby steps
    It is an idea for the future, no doubt.

Rai Munir likes this.
  13. powdernose

powdernose Oud Sprite

Timeline is an unknown, but I'd like it to be sooner than that.
    The more people involved the less the outlay.

Sproaty likes this.
  14. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

Yahoo!

Thank you @Sarfraz and @Sproaty . The young and energetic ones have to step forward to make everybody see better. The more contributors, the more concentration power.

Of course, dear powdernose is the key person. He stepped forwarded months ago. Now that lonely but strong man is no more the single entity. Hope it will turn into a caravan heading to the destination.

15. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

More than interesting and a thought provoking video:

What is the price of that tree? Please watch and listen: (1:10)

It means we can manage the distillation within limited means.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    Arsalan likes this.
  16. powdernose

powdernose Oud Sprite

Yes it is possible of course. :cool:

Promote Oud!