iori

親月
Does anyone here like incense sticks? I love them!!! Japanese ones are my go to for quality and "artisanal" sort of sticks, and Indian brands are nice too as they pack a real punch when it comes to fragrance, sticks have been in my incense life from the very start. I ordered Tensei by Tennendo, 450, 5.5inch sticks for £90, and 170 sticks of Sandalwood by Sejiudo for around £27.99, I believe. I got them 1st class Royal Mail, but RM has been a joke in my area for awhile now, even other people have said the same where I am in the UK, *Scotland*, so it has been around 4-5 days since I ordered and it should only be 1-2 days and 3 days max for this type of delivery, as I paid extra, oh well, Royal Mail are weird, but are reliable and will eventually get to me. Anyway, what are your guys thoughts on Indian AND Japanese sticks? And of course really obscure artisanal sticks that are made with 1 fragrance, or maybe 2-3, instead of a bunch like a lot of the Japanese incense houses + companies do? Do you like the incense sticks by KyaraZen on Kangiiten? The Cambodian Aloeswood, and the Prof. range of sticks that a professor made while being taught by KZ? I was thinking of buying them but they take a while to get here, and wanted to get these Tennendo Tensei, since they are apparently premium aloeswood, close to Kyara quality used in the sticks, and may well be old kyara in the sticks, but unsure.

Here is a review of them by a Japanese blogger and seller : https://kikohincense.com/blogs/news/listening-to-tennendo-tensei
lots of sticks lovers here :O
personally Seijudo is my favorite and best house

-Renton-

True Ouddict
lots of sticks lovers here :O
personally Seijudo is my favorite and best house
Oh nice one, how is their Sandalwood? I ordered a box of 170 sticks with the Tennendo Tensei 450 sticks. Annoyingly, the post office delivery dude said he tried to deliver at 4:19pm on Friday, but I never heard anyone buzzing my apartment, and usually it goes through the letterbox in my door, but he probs couldn't get into the apartment block and left. So, I rearranged it to be picked up round the corner at my local post office. Now, I have to wait till Tuesday. I done 1st class so hopefully its actually there by at least 5pm tomorrow, wish me luck. 😫😆

-Renton-

True Ouddict
I am really enjoying Minori-en's incenses. I have a young nose, but their baseline Kyara seems quite decent for the price, and the Ryugen a rare treat above that.
Minorein Fu-In is great, IMO. I loved their aloeswood and sandalwood, just had 4 sandalwood sticks burning not long ago of theirs, they do use oils though, but not cheap synthetics (atleast they dont smell that way and haven't heard of them being accused of that, either), real high quality oils and only little bits of it, to not give it a boost, but to give their sticks that signature smell they have that is quite "damp" feeling or "wet".

-Renton-

True Ouddict
I'd have to disagree with you there Renton, I can't seem to stand Kaden Kobunboku, actually I might burn some again, but it's such a flat scent, and the after burn makes the room smells like just burning ...

Touken Kobunboku though, now that is a love of mine, minty and cooling!
Oh well, we don't need to like the same things, everyone has a different nose, and different things they like and dont like. I seem to like quite a lot of incenses lol. Kaden is good, and they do use their higher quality aloeswoods in those sticks than Tokusen, but the blend might not agree with you, and/or you just dont like that specific blend (like the spices etc). Also, Kaden means "family secret" so there might be an ingredient in it that you know you dont like, and that puts you off too? Who knows. But, Tokusen, is still a really good one. I need to order them again, they're only like £11 per 80 sticks, so I need to get more as soon as I can, because the blend is quite nice.

Ahmaoud

True Ouddict
Did you manage to get your hands on that sample set mate?
I never completed the purchase, I wanted to purchase at least two things for the shipping that was coming up (granted I know that's how you Aussies feel about sellers abroad). Essentially the sample for same price as the shipping, so I considered some of the oils but nothing really fit into the budget I was trying to fit the order into.

Ahmaoud

True Ouddict
Oh well, we don't need to like the same things, everyone has a different nose, and different things they like and dont like. I seem to like quite a lot of incenses lol. Kaden is good, and they do use their higher quality aloeswoods in those sticks than Tokusen, but the blend might not agree with you, and/or you just dont like that specific blend (like the spices etc). Also, Kaden means "family secret" so there might be an ingredient in it that you know you dont like, and that puts you off too? Who knows. But, Tokusen, is still a really good one. I need to order them again, they're only like £11 per 80 sticks, so I need to get more as soon as I can, because the blend is quite nice.
Absolutely, and not to mention it keeps things interesting, imagine how boring it would if everyone liked the exact same things :) I was definitely hyped for Kaden because I purchased it after Tokusen, and almost everyone said they liked it more. It might be proportions in the blend, I feel like the borneol is dialed way back. As for it being higher quality than Tokusen, you're probably right but I purchased my Kaden for slightly cheaper than the Tokusen, either way I felt it was in the same ballpark, neither could touch the Syukohkoku, or the Tokusen Syukohkoku, where the price was a multiples higher than the other two.

Maybe I just need to burn more sticks of the Kaden. I did also have my reservations about Kai Un Koh, the where addition of fenugreek pushed it into smelling a slight bit too curry-like for my tastes.

-Renton-

True Ouddict
Absolutely, and not to mention it keeps things interesting, imagine how boring it would if everyone liked the exact same things :) I was definitely hyped for Kaden because I purchased it after Tokusen, and almost everyone said they liked it more. It might be proportions in the blend, I feel like the borneol is dialed way back. As for it being higher quality than Tokusen, you're probably right but I purchased my Kaden for slightly cheaper than the Tokusen, either way I felt it was in the same ballpark, neither could touch the Syukohkoku, or the Tokusen Syukohkoku, where the price was a multiples higher than the other two.

Maybe I just need to burn more sticks of the Kaden. I did also have my reservations about Kai Un Koh, the where addition of fenugreek pushed it into smelling a slight bit too curry-like for my tastes.
Yep, there would be no further developments of ANYTHING subjective if everyone liked the same thing lol. Also, you may have bought Kaden that was on a deal, or less sticks per box, maybe? Tokusen costs me £11.99 for 80 sticks and Kaden costs me £26.95 for 170. Although, I am bad at math. The difference between the two aloeswoods in Tokusen and Kaden, is that Kaden uses Vietnamese oud and Tokusen uses a premium Indonesian oud, so that could also sway your opinion, maybe? Baieido have large stocks of the finest, oldest, aloeswoods in the world, being a Japanese incense house + company, so I don't doubt they also use high quality Indonesian aloeswood in their Tokusen!!! I was just under the impression that Vietnamese (especially old and Nha Trang KYARA, yes I know Kaden doesn't use Kyara 😆) was some of the most sought after woods, especially old Vietnam wood, that Baieido is most likely using. Although, back when all these sticks were first released they probably used either more of the old woods (old but not quite kyara) or have changed to slightly lower range woods and woods that they consider to be more "new", that we consider everyday agarwood now. Japan's incense culture is something I really admire, like for real, they bought most of Vietnams Kyara, same with Chinese, and maybe Pursat Cambodian near Kyara grade? And now they have more and better quality woods that the countries that produce these woods now. Its funny, and kinda sad, but I saw a Vietnamese etsy seller selling Nha Trang Vietnam Kyara 3.7g for 2,900 (closer to 3,000) and it was from a Japanese incense house 😆🤣😂😆 They have to buy back their naturally grown products to sell and Japan houses will only give slivers away.

Taesik Yun

Attar Yun
Staff member
I wrote a review on Yamadamatsu's incense a while ago. They are one of my favorites. I especially like Kayo(sandalwood) and Hyofu(floral Sherwood)

-Renton-

True Ouddict
I wrote a review on Yamadamatsu's incense a while ago. They are one of my favorites. I especially like Kayo(sandalwood) and Hyofu(floral Sherwood)

Oh thank you for that link. I have heard of this house/company but my UK vendor (which stocks almost all Japanese artisans except these) doesn't stock Yamadamatsu. I have a good relationship with the (owner?) company of my vendor through emails so I may ask him if he can get them to work with him.

Olfactory Nomad

True Ouddict
Oh thank you for that link. I have heard of this house/company but my UK vendor (which stocks almost all Japanese artisans except these) doesn't stock Yamadamatsu. I have a good relationship with the (owner?) company of my vendor through emails so I may ask him if he can get them to work with him.
Would you mind putting up a link to the website for these sticks? I haven't heard of this brand before.

iori

親月
Oh nice one, how is their Sandalwood? I ordered a box of 170 sticks with the Tennendo Tensei 450 sticks. Annoyingly, the post office delivery dude said he tried to deliver at 4:19pm on Friday, but I never heard anyone buzzing my apartment, and usually it goes through the letterbox in my door, but he probs couldn't get into the apartment block and left. So, I rearranged it to be picked up round the corner at my local post office. Now, I have to wait till Tuesday. I done 1st class so hopefully its actually there by at least 5pm tomorrow, wish me luck. 😫😆
haven't i mostly did ther high end stuff!
i'm in love with Enju =)

-Renton-

True Ouddict
haven't i mostly did ther high end stuff!
i'm in love with Enju =)
I got the Tensei and Sejiudo sandalwood today, the sandalwood on their normal range is quite dry, compared to Minorien Fu-in but Fu-in uses fine oils to give that impression. I suspect Sejiudo uses just powdered sandalwood.

Hamza H

Resident Artisan
Does anyone here like incense sticks? I love them!!! Japanese ones are my go to for quality and "artisanal" sort of sticks, and Indian brands are nice too as they pack a real punch when it comes to fragrance, sticks have been in my incense life from the very start. I ordered Tensei by Tennendo, 450, 5.5inch sticks for £90, and 170 sticks of Sandalwood by Sejiudo for around £27.99, I believe. I got them 1st class Royal Mail, but RM has been a joke in my area for awhile now, even other people have said the same where I am in the UK, *Scotland*, so it has been around 4-5 days since I ordered and it should only be 1-2 days and 3 days max for this type of delivery, as I paid extra, oh well, Royal Mail are weird, but are reliable and will eventually get to me. Anyway, what are your guys thoughts on Indian AND Japanese sticks? And of course really obscure artisanal sticks that are made with 1 fragrance, or maybe 2-3, instead of a bunch like a lot of the Japanese incense houses + companies do? Do you like the incense sticks by KyaraZen on Kangiiten? The Cambodian Aloeswood, and the Prof. range of sticks that a professor made while being taught by KZ? I was thinking of buying them but they take a while to get here, and wanted to get these Tennendo Tensei, since they are apparently premium aloeswood, close to Kyara quality used in the sticks, and may well be old kyara in the sticks, but unsure.

Here is a review of them by a Japanese blogger and seller : https://kikohincense.com/blogs/news/listening-to-tennendo-tensei
A fellow Scottish Ouddict!