MzM

Oud King
salam , I was burning to much everyday at my office using coals now I take some rest and use only oud oils, best way using mica and heat it with electronic burner is less harmful ... :)
Salam All, so is it really harmful to burn our using coal? I burn a lot of it using coal because it's the best way to fumigate the home and clothes, and also to burn frankincense one would need coal no?
Br Mandeel what kind of health issues did you have if you don't mind sharing, was it minor cough or something serious? The reason I ask is because if it is harmful then I don't want to put my family at harm. JazakAllah

peter4ptv

Salam All, so is it really harmful to burn our using coal? I burn a lot of it using coal because it's the best way to fumigate the home and clothes, and also to burn frankincense one would need coal no?
Br Mandeel what kind of health issues did you have if you don't mind sharing, was it minor cough or something serious? The reason I ask is because if it is harmful then I don't want to put my family at harm. JazakAllah
According to a 2013 study conducted by University of North Carolina researchers, incense smoke carries similar health risks as cigarette smoke.

Researchers used two types of incense commonly burned in 96% of the homes in the United Arab Emirates on a weekly basis. They burnt incense over the course of three hours in an indoor chamber that mimicked an archetypal living room. They identified and examined the particulate concentrations and levels of gases, including carbon monoxide, volatile organic compounds (VOCs), sulfur dioxide, and oxides of nitrogen and formaldehyde.

Human lung cells were kept in the chambers for 24 hours to let the particulates settle and impact the cells. The lung cells reacted with an inflammatory response that mimics the response of lung cells exposed to cigarette smoke!

A 2008 study in the journal Cancer linked incense burning to a statistically higher risk of upper respiratory tract cancers, especially squamous-cell carcinoma tumors.
http://undergroundhealthreporter.com/fact-or-myth-is-burning-incense-bad-for-your-health/

MzM

Oud King
According to a 2013 study conducted by University of North Carolina researchers, incense smoke carries similar health risks as cigarette smoke.

Researchers used two types of incense commonly burned in 96% of the homes in the United Arab Emirates on a weekly basis. They burnt incense over the course of three hours in an indoor chamber that mimicked an archetypal living room. They identified and examined the particulate concentrations and levels of gases, including carbon monoxide, volatile organic compounds (VOCs), sulfur dioxide, and oxides of nitrogen and formaldehyde.

Human lung cells were kept in the chambers for 24 hours to let the particulates settle and impact the cells. The lung cells reacted with an inflammatory response that mimics the response of lung cells exposed to cigarette smoke!

A 2008 study in the journal Cancer linked incense burning to a statistically higher risk of upper respiratory tract cancers, especially squamous-cell carcinoma tumors.
http://undergroundhealthreporter.com/fact-or-myth-is-burning-incense-bad-for-your-health/
Whoaaaaa...as bad as cigarette smoke?? That's pretty serious. Geeezzz. This makes me sad...so no more fumigating clothes and home space? Have others stopped using oud wood with charcoal?

AbasFrag

Oud Burner
To be honest I can't take that too seriously. Sure if you fumigate synthetic bakhoor(incense) everyday and sniff in the smoke directly from the mabkhara it can't be very healthy. But burning pure oud and frankincense once or twice/ week can't be so harmful I think.

Whoaaaaa...as bad as cigarette smoke?? That's pretty serious. Geeezzz. This makes me sad...so no more fumigating clothes and home space? Have others stopped using oud wood with charcoal?

Better way use coal only for clothes and home and if you want use it for normal use try to not sniffing to much even with electronic burner using that everyday is like smoking and maybe worst, now most of my enjoying personal burning by use electronic burner the kyarazen style is better way you can also use frankincense with that one and smell it directly the agarwood are not healthy like frankincense is best thing for health and sniff even you can drink it with water is very good but taste are hard, now I use oud oils more than use agarwood I still have very good amount of agarwood enough for years but I don't use it to much also now I enjoy using agarwood sticks is less smokey and so lovely...

Chip Burns

True Ouddict
I am afraid to burn my best woods. 80s Cambodian wood, Kyara any of my walla patta and sinking Mon Koh grade woods . When I heat these I just slowly heat tiny slivers. I will throw big pieces of lower grade stuff on the burner but the good stuff I hoard.
Yup that's me .. only I do burn my good stuff when certain friends come over.
I have a confession. I bought wonderful Oud chips from Oriscent back in 2007 - Burmese, Laos, Malay and some others - but haven't dared burn a single chip. I hoard it, too afraid to use it as there is so little of it.

The only exception to this are 20g of wonderful Borneo Sinking Grade chips I got from Taha in 2012 of which I have burned maybe 1g

Anyone else have this issue?
@Ouddict Hold on so what you are saying is you have only lit up 1 gram since 2012. I think there is another term for your type of hoarding. looking it up now on google.

Ouddict

Ouddict Co-Founder & Tech Support
Yup that's me .. only I do burn my good stuff when certain friends come over.

@Ouddict Hold on so what you are saying is you have only lit up 1 gram since 2012. I think there is another term for your type of hoarding. looking it up now on google.

Yes pretty much around 1 gram or maybe 2 - I have lit up only 10 times using tiny slivers since 2007 and even have the Baieido bamboo charcoal box half full that Ensar gifted me in 2008. It would have been almost full but I gave some to @Habz786 some time ago.

A couple of days ago a friend from Qatar visited me and I gifted him 5 or so grams of half-sinking wood and the look on his face when I told him that I had probably burned less than half of that in the past decade was a funny sight indeed.

I do love burning wood, but my life has been pretty hectic for some time and wood requires time and patience which I simply do not have. It is a lot easier to pick up a bottle and let a drop of oil hit my skin than take out the equipment and burn wood.

Chip Burns

True Ouddict
Yes pretty much around 1 gram or maybe 2 - I have lit up only 10 times using tiny slivers since 2007 and even have the Baieido bamboo charcoal box half full that Ensar gifted me in 2008. It would have been almost full but I gave some to @Habz786 some time ago.

A couple of days ago a friend from Qatar visited me and I gifted him 5 or so grams of half-sinking wood and the look on his face when I told him that I had probably burned less than half of that in the past decade was a funny sight indeed.

I do love burning wood, but my life has been pretty hectic for some time and wood requires time and patience which I simply do not have. It is a lot easier to pick up a bottle and let a drop of oil hit my skin than take out the equipment and burn wood.

Thats Amazing...Well, lemme know if your travels get you around the NYC area .. we'll have a burn session will even break out the good stuff.

Yeah I'm same as you, wood need free mind and quite place to enjoy burning and appreciate it verywell with some cup of coffee or tea, now I use only oud oil...