Sproaty

Sproudy
Staff member
Hi, I just wanted to check how you perceive this? Do you take it as the wood smells by itself, or actually if you "split" it up a bit? I've smelled many of the woods I've received and there's never any smell to the bag it comes in, but earlier I broke up a piece by hand and my hands were smelling of the wood. Is this what's meant?
I always had the impression that it was the chip itself that was smelling when unburned but my experience goes against that.

OudGood

True Ouddict
To me, when you open the bag, container or just hold a chip/piece up to your nose...The most smelly like that for me so far: EO’s Ceram 1997, AH & Habz’s Phillipines, and sinking Borneo from Habz...
Did you burn some Ceram too? How do you like it?

Arsalan

True Ouddict
Did you burn some Ceram too?

Absolutely! Well...heated on ceramic electric, and it is awesome! Dont’t think i can add more to what @Rasoul Salehi has already said, in the Oud Wood thread..and I completely agree. It really is that good...and honestly i’ve paid the same for other woods that are not nearly as good...

Woodland Note

True Ouddict
I have 3 agarwood samples here, as they are in ambient temperature it's close to no scent. I mean, similarly like you would grab any other wood and smell it. There is a little of fragrance, but very little. But once heated there is lots and lots of scent...

Arsalan

True Ouddict
odd...I can't notice anything from just smelling the bag and that includes some from your list Arsalan :/

Well...the smell is not exactly intense, like you can't smell it at a distance, but certainly there when held close to nose.
With each one i mentioned, they certainly did smell in the bags when i received them.
I store my woods in little glass jars with rubber seals around the lids, and when i posted the reply above, actually opened and sniffed them to confirm as well...and those are the ones where the fragrance was there by just sniffing the opened containers...

Edit to add: just found the bag Ceram came in few days ago, although I transferred the wood out there is still a faint aroma from the bag...faint, but perceptible...

Chip Burns

True Ouddict
For a very long time, I never smelt anything from agarwood unless it was heated.. recently I have started to detect very faint hints of aromas that don't necessarily match the profile of the wood when heated. I have yet to smell or experience the elusive Kyara/Kinam, InShaAllah soon.