Mr.P

oud<3er
OK - maybe we can have a thread for discussing experiments with extraction, blending. etc..

I have prepared two strong tinctures in 95 ethanol. One is AA Yamada Matsu sandalwood, the other is a mixture of AA and BB grade wood powder also from Yamada Matsu. Both are about 15 years old. The agar wood tincture I just made today and it already smells great - very sweet, mellow, warm agar wood scent. Can't wait to see it develops over the next month or two.

I set the sandalwood up a couple of weeks ago and it is coming along nicely. I definitely saw a good amount of development in scent over the last 10 days or so (no surprise of course). I think both of these tinctures could, if not strong enough in their own rights, be the basis for really nice dilutions of their respective oils.

Mr.P

oud<3er
Well after just one day the agarwood tincture is just amazing... nicest thing I've smelled in a while. AFter smelling this and the kz85 I am really feeling like there need to be more extracts of agarwood - not just distillations. The tincture I sweet, very oudy, lasts over 12 hours on my skin after less than a day of extraction! It is a very dark liquid - like coffee - and of course it is much milder than distilled oils. It is like just swiping on the basenotes of a good Borneo oud. If you have the oud to spare and can use alcohol, I highly recommend you try the experiment.

F4R1d0uX

Resident Artisan
Well after just one day the agarwood tincture is just amazing... nicest thing I've smelled in a while. AFter smelling this and the kz85 I am really feeling like there need to be more extracts of agarwood - not just distillations. The tincture I sweet, very oudy, lasts over 12 hours on my skin after less than a day of extraction! It is a very dark liquid - like coffee - and of course it is much milder than distilled oils. It is like just swiping on the basenotes of a good Borneo oud. If you have the oud to spare and can use alcohol, I highly recommend you try the experiment.

Thank you for your return on experience !

J

Jimmie Taylor

Hey. Cool idea.
How much % of wood have you used for the tincture?
So just mixed the wood poweder with ethanol and then let it stay?
How long is it safe to let it mature and after that , do you filter the wood particles out then?

Mr.P

oud<3er
I used 30 grams of agarwood powder to approximately 120 ml of everclear (95% ethanol). I just started the extraction yesterday. I heated the alcohol by placing the flask in a bowl of very hot water. I plan to repeat this to speed up the rate of diffusion of the larger mass molecules.

I plan to let it sit indefinitely. I will shake daily for the first few weeks, occasionally reheating, then just let the dust settle to the bottom and decant any tincture I want to use as fragrance.

Mr.P

oud<3er
Another experiment started a week ago. I get wood delivered each year for our wood stove - usually 2 cords. Well, I love the smell of tree sap, and a couple of the logs form the douglas fir I had delivered were unusual. They were from an old tree and there were signs of decay - rotten wood, insect galleries, etc. I had posted about this before - some of the sections of this wood were just saturated with resin and oil, but unlike the normal sappy wood, this resin had an unusual amazing fragrance, and the wood had the consistency of kyara - glutinous, pliable, exuding oil in addition to resin when squeezed. The typical doug fir resin kind of dries to this brittle rosin-like substance but this stuff was different. Also, the aroma is (assuming you like evergreen scents) completely delightful - not at all the typical evergreen wood scent but rather a rich, complex piney aroma with deep sweet undertones of honey and even vanillin. So, I took some chunks of this resinous wood and pounded them in a mortar and pestle. They easily powdered as the wood fibers were kind of broken down and the material was about 90% this oil and resin mix. It was amazingly easy to pound this to a fragrant powder. Not sticky and tarry like pitch at all. So I tinctured this, and now carry a little 1/4 tola bottle of it with me wherever I go. The scent does not last all that long - an hour or two - but it is just a really enjoyable scent. I am pleased - three successful tinctures going here!

J

Jimmie Taylor

I made my tincture from Borneo Gold now.
I used also 30% wood.
I let it now mature on the heated floor.
When i mixed it to dust with a kitchen mixer, it smelled like caramel, woody and cinnamon.

Mr.P

oud<3er
I can't imagine having enough kyara for this bit I am sure kyara would produce a much more fragrant tincture due to the unusual nature of the wood. :)

Kyarazen prepared some kyara tinctures once.

I can't imagine having enough kyara for this bit I am sure kyara would produce a much more fragrant tincture due to the unusual nature of the wood. :)

Kyarazen prepared some kyara tinctures once.

I have it but I didn't try it to much but first try I was smell same aroma of KZ85 I will take photo for that tomorrow i have it in my locker it my work office

I definitely want to make some agarwood tinctures.

With Ambergris, I like my tinctures better than my maceration in Sandalwood because when the alcohol evaporates, what's left on my wrist is a film layer of pure Ambergris heaven:rolleyes:

As for my experiment with Oud, I am going to mix some IO Sinensis extract with Fragrant Harbor, Zoweee!!:) My initial layering of these two proved to be a success :cool:

@Mr.P kyarazen , kyara tincture

Attachments

• WIN_20170208_08_56_39_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20170208_08_56_39_Pro.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 480
I definitely want to make some agarwood tinctures.

With Ambergris, I like my tinctures better than my maceration in Sandalwood because when the alcohol evaporates, what's left on my wrist is a film layer of pure Ambergris heaven:rolleyes:

As for my experiment with Oud, I am going to mix some IO Sinensis extract with Fragrant Harbor, Zoweee!!:) My initial layering of these two proved to be a success :cool:

I didnt try fragrant harbor but im sure sinensis with any other chinese oud will be amazing!