Do You Prefer Wood Or Oil?

Discussion in 'General' started by Habz786, Dec 24, 2018.

?

Oil or Wood???

1. Oil

11 vote(s)
    64.7%
  2. Wood

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  1. Habz786

Habz786 Resident Artisan

I thought it would be interesting to see if Ouddict's prefer to heat wood or apply Oud oil. A little explanation would be nice along with your choice. I personally prefer oils, i love the scent and how applying oils makes me feel aswell as sharing a swipe with others is always a bonus. I also find it easier to swipe than heat but do heat wood pretty much everyday.

2. powdernose

powdernose Oud Sprite

Oils for me. Because you carry the scent with you through the day.

Chip Burns, Woodland Note and Habz786 like this.
  3. Joe King

Joe King AttitOud

definitely oils, I prefer the scent over heating wood and as above it is easier (to use and store) and longer lasting with usually more depth but having said that I haven't delved very deep into heating/burning wood.

4. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

I voted “oil” for variety of scents....
    all my oils have several characters per region, whereas the woods...not so much.

Although woods and incense, are a very close second. Nothing beats the Brain Slap:handwaving::confused: when the resin is heated:D

Chip Burns, Woodland Note and Habz786 like this.
  5. Alkhadra

Alkhadra "Master Kafeel" Resident Artisan

Oud wood > Oud oil any day any time 100000000x 10000000% no contest zero argument. :Roflmao: @AbasFrag I need you to back me up on this one!

6. Hamza H

Hamza H Whats this Oud About?

Don't worry I will. :)

Oudh wood is far deeper and more complex than any oil. No oil as far as im concerned really captures the complexity of the qood. Perhaps not even every burn of a wood might be quite the same each time

Far cheaper too, compared to expensive oils which still don't really hit that bench mark.

Chip Burns, Arsalan, Alkhadra and 3 others like this.
  7. AbasFrag

AbasFrag Oud Burner

You know I got your back bro ;)

For me. Nothing is ever like a nice heating session. The wood, the bubbles, the smell, the sound, the smoke..... Nothing competes with that. It feels like it hits the soul like no other fragrance can do. I do love oils aswell but for me they are amazing fragrances and very seldom do they give me that satisfactory feeling like a nice burn would do.

For that reason wood > oil.
    And for the same reason I've always preferred oils that smells a bit like heating wood :D

Chip Burns, Hamza H, Arsalan and 3 others like this.
  8. AbasFrag

AbasFrag Oud Burner

You said it all brother :)

Chip Burns likes this.
  9. Woodland Note

Woodland Note Oud Fan

When it comes to agarwood I prefer oil. I’ve tried 4 types of agarwood wood, and each of them has for me much less complex scent profile than any of the oils I’ve tried so far. Oils can be used in many more ways to perfume myself or the surroundings. Oils seem to have more depth than heated wood... for me.

I’m not sure I can say the same about sandalwood though.

Oudamberlove, Chip Burns and Habz786 like this.
  10. Sproaty

Sproaty Boudly Staff Member

Oils due to being able to "take" the smell with me, more variations than heated wood to me, though I don't "listen" to wood on the heater - I burn it several foot away from me and don't always notice it (bit of a waste perhaps)

so yeah when in work I can't heat wood either....saying that, nobody's told me that I can't - may have to get one for my desk LOL

11. Hamza H

Hamza H Whats this Oud About?

You can try fumigation with a coal. Your clothes will absorb the scent sort of.

Oudamberlove, AbasFrag and Chip Burns like this.
  12. Chip Burns

Chip Burns Oud Fan

I prefer oud over dehn-al oud (oil of agarwood )
    Each piece is precious and each session is unique, even from the same batch
    The selection and preparation of each wood.
    The preparation of the bowl.
    The reverence and attention demanded by warming, requires one to be engaged with this gift,
    never having to cry over dropping a piece of wood on the floor. Try that with a bottle.
    Never having to complain about barn!!!!
    nothing against oil, I have and use oils .... just that it takes a distant second place to the overall experience of warming oud.

post could have been titled "OUDDICT or dehn-al ouddict"

Zarrar, Oudamberlove, Habz786 and 4 others like this.
  13. Chip Burns

Chip Burns Oud Fan

Your clothes will most certainly absorb the scent and permeate to all around ... it is how Rasool-Allah SAW used oud and it is how the Sahaba ikram did as well. The only draw back it that since you yourself were in the fumigating process you may not realize how good you smell. A bad analogy is when a smoker walks by and doesn't realize how much he reeks.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  14. AbuTominaga

AbuTominaga Whats this Oud About?

I do enjoy both but I must say it's the Oil.

For me the oil resembles a long fairy tale...from the moment of planting the seed of the tree in the soil, to the growth of that sapling, to fighting off the disease, forming resin, to the harvest...and then the cleaning and then cooking the wood for hours or days and days. extracting the very soul of the scent.... all of that you have it in a bottle. and you enjoy it with a swipe!

For me a swipe is a whole story, not a mere scent.

15. Edward Muller

Edward Muller Oud Fan

I would have voted for oil 1 year ago. Now I prefer wood - purely on the fragrance profile. Unless it is a terrific oil (which is extremely rare). Wood is no where near in terms of convenience - so I switched to an electric burner, a decent sized one from IO. Then there’s the “issue” of not being able to smell it at work - so I got myself a smaller electric burner for that purpose

Chip Burns, Sproaty, Ashfaque and 2 others like this.

Promote Oud!