Burn Of The Day/night

Discussion in 'Scent of the Day/Night' started by jalil, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Sproaty

Sproaty Boudly

Yeah I'm starting to break my wood down into small bits too. Need to get a chisel or something and a cutting board.

Saying that, I have 2 small logs of Habz' Sinking Filipino on the go. Okay, not exactly logs, but like smallish slivers. Smells fantastic!
    I've realised how many grams of wood I have... :eek::eek::eek: and I have about 40g on route to me. I need to burn more, MORE!

2. Mr.P

Mr.P Super Moderator Staff Member

I read a japanese study that showed evidence using chemical analysis that agarwood generally maintains its quality over time much better than sandalwood. In the specimens they tested, sandalwood chip quality degraded rapidly in comparison with agarwood chips, which held up amazingly well. Their conclusion was that sandalwood needs to be stored more carefully and used sooner. I cannot cite the source, but my memory is clear on this. I am storing some old sandalwood, but I figure I'd better enjoy it before it goes too far downhill. Frustratingly, I don't recall what time-scale was being investigated in the study.

3. Mr.P

Mr.P Super Moderator Staff Member

Speaking of burning more, can anyone direct me to a vendor who sells sample packs of wood chips? I am interested in all qualities and regions, as I am hoping to refine my understanding of wood scent profiles.

Oudamberlove likes this.
  4. Habz786

Habz786 Resident Artisan

I do :D @Sproaty got a sample pack of various woods to try 3 grams of around 4 5 reigons

5. Zahir

Zahir Whats this Oud About?

Just ask the vendors directly and they will most likely comply :)
    IO has offerings of 1gm. @Habz786 was generous enough to make a sample pack of 1 gm woods for me. I am sure others will comply too. I tried asking Zak at Agarwood aroma about samples once, I think those were for oud oils, and he felt like the full offering was worth it and samples would make it difficult for people to enjoy the oils properly. Meaning, he felt that if he sold samples, more people will end up buying samples and there would be no full sized bottles for people to enjoy. So, to each their own. But just ask directly :)

Sproaty and Habz786 like this.
  6. Zahir

So far, I have only burnt wood (agarwood and sandalwood) in tiny slivers, shavings or dust as I feel like that approach would release the aromatic oils contained in the wood completely and uniformly. I am afraid that if I use a thicker piece of wood, then the heating would be uneven and thus the aroma would become more difficult to discern (what you have called multi-layered). Meaning, as the heat keeps spreading towards the top, that portion would start giving off the top note aroma and the part closer to the heater would be giving off the base note aroma, thus giving a more multi-layered aroma as you have called it. Since I am just beginning, I am trying to discern the different woods as closely as possibly by heating a tiny sliver and observing the top vs base notes.

Having said that, most agarwoods still do smell almost the same to me :s having an initial bitter (with spiciness or sweetness) aroma which is later followed by the same warm, vanilla, sweetness. Has anyone else observed the same? Granted, the degree of spiciness, sweetness is different and of very little difference in their nature.

Rai Munir, Arsalan and Sproaty like this.
  7. Zahir

Perhaps it is because there is more oil in sandalwood compared with agarwood. That is why the yield of sandalwood is much more than that of agarwood as well. I think all woods which are aromatic at room temperature should be stored in air tight containers. If they are not aromatics, like most of the oud woods that I currently own, then I am not sure what storing them in an airtight container will achieve other than from them absorbing the aromas from around them.

8. Sproaty

Sproaty Boudly

I'm still new to the whole burning but there is definitely perceivable differences amongst the woods I have. Hard to put into words but definitely noticeable enough between wood types

Habz786 likes this.
  9. Zahir

I'm probably newer than you :D
    Yeah, some differences I can definitely make out. But compared with oils, my nose has not been able to grab the aromas that come by heating the wood. Perhaps it is because the aromas from heating the wood dissipate too quickly before I can realize them as opposed to oils, which stay around for a bit longer.

As an example: I have not been able to detect the same level of complex spicy notes found in Hindi oils or the citrusy dry down of Vietnamese oils when heating woods from same regions.

Rai Munir likes this.
  10. Joe King

Joe King AttitOud

Thank you.:DIts based on kyarazens subitism model, I used nichrome wire. Just a note to others building this type, I wrapped the wire ends around the posts and then wrapped them around the wire back to the centre heating part. this keeps more heat in the centre and away from posts.

Attached Files:

11. Chip Burns

Chip Burns Oud Fan

@Oudamberlove I've used this as my guide for wood storage a short but as always very informative write-up from KZ https://www.kyarazen.com/long-can-fragrant-woods-kept/

Rai Munir, Oudamberlove and Sproaty like this.
  12. Chip Burns

Chip Burns Oud Fan

Thanks for the pic @Joe King ..didn't quite understand the " I wrapped the wire ends around the posts and then wrapped them around the wire back to the centre heating part."

Arsalan likes this.
  13. Sproaty

Sproaty Boudly

Earlier I was burning the Khao Yai Super wood that arrived today from Al Hashimi.
    Bandarnban chips by Royal Bengal Ouds. Great price for some awesome smelling wood!

I'm sorry...I struggle to "explain" the smells I get from burning!

I made a post in here earlier this week (early Sunday morning) about some incense sticks that I bought from @RisingPhoenix during the Oud Fayre. They're based on Nag Champa - and wow! It's been what, 4, 5 days since I burned it, and whenever I come back into my house I can smell this scent lingering really strongly! I quickly adjust and go noseblind to it, but it's pungent upon first entering, a deliciously sweet smell.
    JK will be releasing these shortly - watch out! Very recommended :)

14. Bryan-I

Bryan-I Oud Fan

Hindi from Zak. Spicy goodness.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Chip Burns and Oudamberlove like this.
  15. Chip Burns

Chip Burns Oud Fan

@Sproaty I see you're quite the burner as well... I'm waiting for my Al Hashimi Khao Yai as well should have it by tomorrow. InShaAllah (god willing)
    You and me both brother. I know profiles that are established like "Hindi Assami" or "Borneo Kalimantan" apart from that I struggle to articulate the subtle nuances that I find in each piece of wood that I heat.
    thinking of taking or developing an aroma training kit with essential oils to better acclimate me with the notes that could possibly be used in my descriptive attempts.

RisingPhoenix, Arsalan and Sproaty like this.
  16. Joe King

Joe King AttitOud

Hopefully this pic is clear enough to show what I mean. By twisting the wires together at this part it reduces the heat produced in this section of wire.

Attached Files:

Sproaty and Chip Burns like this.
  17. Sproaty

Sproaty Boudly

Glad that I'm not the only one! Yes I found it great to smell Feroz's essential oils to know the individual raw materials in isolation instead of mixed into a scent (plus they're great!)

RisingPhoenix and Chip Burns like this.
  18. Bryan-I

Bryan-I Oud Fan

Imperial Oud wild Burmese. This seems most unique. Piercing medicinal note that floats above a Hindi like spiciness. Fills the whole house.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

19. AZsmell

AZsmell Oud Fan

Feel Oud - Maroke Life
    I haven't burned any oud in quite some time. Every time I burn oud I wonder why I don't do it more often. This wood isn't the highest quality but the price is great and the aroma is very nice.

Sproaty, Chip Burns and Rasoul Salehi like this.
  20. Rasoul Salehi

Rasoul Salehi Oud Fanatic

Makes sense. Oil rich vs. resin rich.

Promote Oud!