Burn Of The Day/night

Discussion in 'Scent of the Day/Night' started by jalil, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Edward Muller

Edward Muller Oud Fan

That is so true! I always had the presumption that kinam will smell stronger and last longer than normal oud (besides the more complex aroma)....

2. Edward Muller

Edward Muller Oud Fan

I purchase mine from a Chinese vendor, though I do have reservations about their quality (as I don’t have any other kinam to compare it to a though I am happy with it so far), I am not aware of any other sources...

3. Zahir

Zahir Whats this Oud About?

Ever tried any from Japanese incense stores?

4. Edward Muller

Edward Muller Oud Fan

No but I did bought a sample pack of incense - it was really nice - but I prefer oud chips. Their Kyara ones are super expensive so I didn’t even bother trying haha

5. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

Wild Assamese Agarwood: One of the best pieces of Oudwood I ever tried. Feel like bathing in Oudy drizzling. This wild wood is the wood distilled to have Shah Jahan (IO). I love wood more than the oil.

Till today, I haven't experienced some wood fill the room with aroma the way some attar or Oud oil with high projection does. And this is the beauty of Oudwood as it exudes aroma that is soothing. Even the wood, that is named Kynam, smell the way wood has to smell when heated. But the difference I observe in organic and wild wood is the fragrance the wood exudes without heating. I might be wrong but Kynm is a nice cover to add at least $300 to $500 in the price. Otherwise, its aroma is like a nice perfume.

alcolado glacial likes this.
  6. Zahir

I think that is a very good debatable point: is an oil being labelled Kinam or being described as having Kinamic nuances in order to mark up its' price? Secondly, is the price of the oil (final product) determined by the scent profile or the wood that went into making the oil? In addition to host of other factors that are involved in distillation. Should a consumer even have to 'pay' for the travel expenses that went into distillation of an oil?

kooolaid79 likes this.
  7. PEARL

PEARL Guerrilla

@Zahir you ask some interesting questions and this is something I was going to say a while back on the 'oils with kinam/kyara notes thread'. IME kyara/kinam is the highest grade of wood that I know of, grade being the operative word. That does not necessarily mean that kyara/kinam will be the universally held best scent profile, whether in heating wood or in agarwood oils. I've tried several woods that were not kyara/kinam from places like Tripura and Assam, that I preferred over the scent profile of kyara/kinam; likewise I've tried several oils that do not have kyara/kinam notes that I prefer over oils that are said to and do have kyara/kinam notes.

How well agarwood will fill a space is highly dependent on amount and manner heated; I've had sessions with kinam skins where you have to cup your subitism to smell anything and then poof, and I've had sessions with Philippine from Taha or Kalimantan from Al-Hashimi where I could smell the fragrance of agarwood in my house two to three days afterwards. I'm quite sure if I had heated the same amout of kinam skins in the same manner that I would have smelled the fragrance days afterwards as well.

Chip Burns and Joe King like this.
  8. Zahir

@PEARL Your point is spot on.

May I ask you this: how do you go about figuring out the correct manner of heating and the amount of wood needed to scent an entire room? Do you have a principle you follow in terms of amount and heating method? Or do you base it off trial and error? Because I have noticed that if I turn up the heat on subitism style burner on my wood, I most definitely start smelling burnt wood smell alongside the agarwood notes. My suspicion is that I just need more wood and use the same lower heat that I use for personal mon-koh style sessions in order to scent the room. Thoughts? Advice? :)

Chip Burns and PEARL like this.
  9. Zahir

This also reminds me of the advice by KZ on his website that fragrant wood is best bought in person so you may test the aroma before buying. Kyara is just a grade given to agarwood. Whether it smells to your liking or not: well you can only find out by heating it! :D Same for oils.

Rai Munir and alcolado glacial like this.
  10. PEARL

PEARL Guerrilla

@Zahir I generally fumigate at ~10.7V on my heater, anywhere from .5-1g of wood. Initially it is smokey but once that diffuses the agarwood scent lingers.

11. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

Comprehensive post.

Such coinages are enough to know the reality: Vietnemese Kinam, Brunei Kynam, Malysian Kinam, Papuan Kyara, Burmese Kyara, etc. Then there is only refuge: "It is a profile."

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  12. alcolado glacial

alcolado glacial Oud Fan

In my opinion kyara and kinam is more about the psychoactive effects than the scent. Kyara is the only agarwood that has the most deepest spiritual effect of all the agarwoods i tried. that tingly effect on the back of the skull, instant zen focus ability and a certain presence in the air when you burn it. If these effect are not felt, consider yourself lucky not having to pay that extra 500 lol. I do like other agarwood for different effects. for example sinking philipinas by i.o has a very body stoned high effect. Really nice if you want to stretch out on the bed lol. Kyara has a lucid high, while other agarwoods are more narcotic. Indian agarwood has a deeply grounding and soothing narcotic effect on me.It depends what effects you seek. of course they all smell beautiful.

13. PEARL

PEARL Guerrilla

And green, black, green oil, blue, purple, red soil, yellow soil, tiger shark, peppa pig, etc., in the end when heated or notes appear in oils: it is just profile.

Rai Munir, Joe King and Arsalan like this.
  14. Al Shareef Oudh

Al Shareef Oudh Resident Artisan

My advice would be to contact KyaraZen, purchase a couple grams of Ky Nam from him and heat a bamboo charcoal outside and let is rest for 30 minutes, then bring it in and add on it without doing anything else a piece that is 1.5mm x 5mm or close enough and sit about 500mm away and enjoy. When it has all stopped. Leave the room and come back, and then you will have enjoyed a few different facets of the ky nam experience.

To get a fuller bodied experience you will need to heat larger pieces.

Chip Burns and Ashfaque like this.
  15. Zahir

Do you the current at this voltage? Afterall, that is what is causing the wire to heat. Voltage just generates the current based on the resistance.

16. PEARL

PEARL Guerrilla

Around 1-1.5A, I usually adjust voltage as it has a wider range in this application.

17. alcolado glacial

alcolado glacial Oud Fan

Ceram 97 - E.O

On the lowest . I'm almost licking the heater. woooow. perfumey undetactable oudiness flowers, but my god the effect is there. these older agarwood pieces are very peaceful. If you can get it you won't regret it. all agarwooded out of my mind, but i don't mind. this is lowest setting? where will it go when the boosters go off???

In love with subtle oils? , don't like smoke? Go Ceram before it's gone. Peace out

Rai Munir and Arsalan like this.
  18. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

Now you are looking ecstatic. This is 'your fragrance' then. Otherwise, your sentence structure is not like the one I see in this post. Stay fragrant!

19. Arsalan

Arsalan Oud Fan

Sinking Philippine from @Habz786 - seriously enjoying this one...very relaxing aroma...

Chip Burns, PEARL, Rai Munir and 2 others like this.
  20. Joe King

Joe King AttitOud

Finally finished (almost) my wood heater :D:D:D
    so heating some borneo wood from habz

Attached Files:

Chip Burns, Sproaty, Habz786 and 5 others like this.

Promote Oud!