Burn Of The Day/night

Discussion in 'Scent of the Day/Night' started by jalil, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Ashfaque

Ashfaque Analogue Oud

Some wild Nagaland chips after Zikriyat bokhoor from @Al Shareef Oudh and some frankincense. Making another DIY incense heater was a pain, but it's worth it! :)

Chip Burns likes this.
  2. Sproaty

Sproaty Boudly

nice I have a bit of this too and yeah it's amazing smelling :D
    Before work, I have crumbled a small bit of ASO's 'the scented month' which is walla patta I believe

Chip Burns and Arsalan like this.
  3. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

Yes, this Oudwood is beautiful enough. Do you have Mysore Sandalwood from RBO?

Chip Burns, Sproaty and Arsalan like this.
  4. Arsalan

Arsalan Oud Fan

Absolutely have the Mysore wood from Ish! And it is excellent!
    Only have a couple of sinking nuggets that he sent over as part of his ‘gifts’ with purchase, but do have a decent amount of the non-sinking.
    Nice meditative process making shavings from the little logs...
    If I remember correctly that & the Nha Trang wood was part of my first purchase from him...

Chip Burns and Sproaty like this.
  5. Sproaty

Sproaty Boudly

I need to do the same. I'm having a better experience from dicing up my chips vs. breaking bits off and burning those, when they're finer they seem to burn better and emit a better scent.
    I have the mysore logs from Ish too but need to shave bits off. I should invest in some cutting tool of sorts; right now I am using a scissors.

Arsalan likes this.
  6. Joe King

Joe King AttitOud

I was thinking how would you slice wood with scissors :confused: but I guess at least you are not using a spoon:p
    Maybe a box cutter would be easier:thumbsup:

Rai Munir, Arsalan and Sproaty like this.
  7. Arsalan

Arsalan Oud Fan

Correct tool for the job makes it much easier...
    You could look into “hobby knives” they are shaped like a pen with little triangular blades, and blades can be replaced...good cheap easy option.
    Fine wood working chisel is another option...
    But for making shavings, my favourite is the Opinel #6...great little knives, cheap too, historic as well been made for over a 100 years, still pretty much the same...the numbers refer to the size, I find the medium or small sizes are best for shavings as the blade is a bit thinner and easier to handle. Check the Wiki page for Opinel...the ring lock is great for safety, but still gotta be careful...Downside...eventually you gotta sharpen them...but they are easy to sharpen...if you get the high carbon blade, on anything, which are great, just make sure to dry the blade before putting away...

D56933EB-A188-4243-B436-C5846B6462F6.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  8. Ashfaque

Ashfaque Analogue Oud

Sri Lankan chips now. Initially there is a hint of something salty - think of walking on a beach after the rain and the sun is shining. Thus the air is a bit salty. The smell has some similarities with ambergris (tincture/maceration). I also found some similarities with heavily diluted Thai fish sauce on my olfactive periphery. But the fish sauce thing goes away very quickly and gets very incensy with the salty/ambergris like smell taking the back seat. 10 minutes so far.

Earlier, burned some ~300 years old of cedar chips Stephen sent me. Lovely stuff. Thanks a lot @hedycent.:Thumbsup:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  9. Sproaty

Sproaty Boudly

Arsalan likes this.
  10. alcolado glacial

alcolado glacial Oud Fan

Tibetan incense - Holy land

Musky ,smokey , and has a calming effect. Burnt only for half a minute because it's very strong. Really happy with this one.

Sproaty, Ashfaque and Oudamberlove like this.
  11. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

Started with a variety of incense sticks, then finished with some old stock Yamadamatsu SS grade chunk. It has a predominantly Kalimantan profile, sunshiney with a vanillic heart..... complex for sure!

Sproaty and Ashfaque like this.
  12. Sproaty

Sproaty Boudly

Wild Manipur by Imperial Oud - stunning! Scenting the room from a few slivers on the electric burner :D

Rai Munir and Oudamberlove like this.
  13. Rasoul Salehi

Rasoul Salehi Oud Fanatic

EO
    Maluku ceram. Day in. Day out. Just nuts.
    Those iris and lesser extent violet notes. The cream and acacia honey. The mild bitterness running underneath. Just do damn delicious and unique.

I never understood sumatora wood from EO or found much to celebrate in new guniea signature.

But ceram is off the charts.

Sproaty, Oudamberlove and Arsalan like this.
  14. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

Shoyeido Translucent Path

and

Kohgen Jinkai

:praying::praying:

alcolado glacial likes this.
  15. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

Yamadamatsu Kouboku Senshu Siam...(Vietnamese)
    I’m enjoying it as much as I enjoy the Kohgen Jinkai sticks.

Faheem and Sproaty like this.
  16. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

Kyukyodo Murasakino
    I wonder if the musk used is Deer Musk, or a plant based substitute. Sometimes it smells like musk and ambergris, but it’s so difficult to be certain.
    Unlike a swipe of oil, where you can monitor the scent progression, incense smoke doesn’t give you much time to pick it apart.
    Anyhow, I love the blend:Inlove:

Faheem likes this.
  17. Edward Muller

Edward Muller Oud Fan

Purple Kinam Powder (Chinese Agarwood Vendor)
    I ordered 0.5g of this. Have been trying to study the notes of this powder but it have trouble breaking it down into individual notes.
    I used a pinch for my electric burner.
    It does NOT fill up the entire room like I expected - but then again I am not sure if I am expecting too much from such a small qty.
    I am currently about 40 cm away from my burner and I get whiffs of intoxicating creamy oudiness. It is not heavy nor piercing - my point of reference for Kinam type of aroma is Ensar’s distillations. As it is the most distinct and easily recognizable. And then there are oils from Taha and Mr. Al Shareef that captures the Kyara notes, where it feels comforting and creamy.
    The wood ‘scraps’ I m heating - is a hybrid of the two. I do manage to pick up the heady note EO’s style but dialed way back. And the full bodied aroma of Taha and ASO’s take on Kyara, but with a little more.
    My only bone (maybe two) to pick, is that the scent is very fleeting, like a phantom. One moment it is so strong and prominent, it suddenly disappears and vanish without a trace, only to come back minutes later to do the haunting and repeating the cycle.
    And of course being a burner material - I am not able to wear it out
    I can understand why some people prefers oud wood over oud oil, as the scent feels much more complete and elegant. And probably the heating process brings another element and dimension to the whole experience. The warmth somehow just completes the picture. It’s like making a chocolate syrup from scratch - Cocoa Powder, water and Sugar make the majority of the recipe, yet without a pinch of salt and vanilla - the syrup is hard to go from good to great - if only there’s a way to bring this aroma around - maybe like a USB charged necklace/bracelet that allow one to heat the oud wood on the go - like a vaping pen that can be left on... and worn like fashion accessories

Chip Burns, Oudamberlove and F4R1d0uX like this.
  18. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

Heating some LMK Filipino wood, while dreaming of a Filipino oud oil. I hope the IO Mindanao oil is a winner:praying:

Chip Burns likes this.
  19. Rasoul Salehi

Rasoul Salehi Oud Fanatic

My 2 cents

Kinam at medium heat gives an intense quick experience and then poof. Gone. At super duper low temp it is only enjoyable via ultra close up monkoh and then it can go on more minutes. Am sure some kinam with more weight and bit more resin will last longer but good luck to all of us to find them and if and when we do to afford them

Chip Burns and Edward Muller like this.
  20. Zahir

Zahir Whats this Oud About?

Where can we purchase Kinam besides EO?

Promote Oud!