Burn Of The Day/night

Discussion in 'Scent of the Day/Night' started by jalil, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Arsalan

Arsalan Oud Fan

Rai Munir and Sproaty like this.
  2. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

Don't worry, dearest Sproaty. It will go, and then there will be room for the better one. Consume lavishly, the way a child eat pudding. At the time, don't you see damn beautiful sheen and a naughty smile.

3. Woodland Note

Woodland Note Oud Fan

Looks like I might want to try this flower myself. Hopefully I will be able to find it. I’ve seen it many times...

There is not much change in my agarwood powder and fir cone tinctures I think, but to be honest I wasn’t much checking on them for the last 3 weeks. I have so much other new fragrant goodies now to explore. Habzoud, Al Hashimi.. and I’ve received today an incredible, kind and very generous gift from our fellow ouddict who wishes to remain anonymous, the gift contains 13 samples of different oud oils of various vendors. I did not even fully unwrapped it from the plastic foil yet I can smell the beautiful overwhelming kaleidoscope of oudiness and all sorts of mesmerizing fragrances from 2 meters away.... :):D:rolleyes:o_O:Notworthy:
    I’ve finished my electric heater yesterday too, it’s not properly decorated yet but... it’s very usable! So, I’m testing it a bit on different stuff. :Thumbsup: Temperatures here dropped to the perfect levels for olfactory adventures. In my room now temperature is 20.4 ° C and humidity 45%. :) I’m overwhelmed with the beautiful scents around me. I recently brought from the forest like 100 grams of fresh pine resin and my sweet grass - hierochloe odorata (I got around 2 months ago) now tripled or maybe even quadrupled its volume... I strongly recommend getting a pot of it. (It’ not really easy to start it from seeds, so it’s sold in pots as living plant. The scent is most strong when a fresh leaf is cut and left for drying. Even one leaf can fill a small room with the fragrance this way for weeks. But it also smells when it’s still alive in a pot, most intensively after watering or when temperature drops, or when leaves are dying or a bit damaged.) Some say on the web it smells like vanilla, some other say coconut, some other say it’s hay like scent. I say it smells like an elegant premium perfume, well much better than synthetic perfume... Think of the vast European steppe, think of the green prairie... or great grassy meadow surrounded by nothing but nature and crystal clear air. I think it deserves more presence and perhaps I will write some longer post about it soon. :Thumbsup:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  4. Rasoul Salehi

Rasoul Salehi Oud Fanatic

Revelation:
    Until the other day I thought the mighty awesome shah jahan is some seriously unique technique and wizardry at play to coax the scents that this oil projects in spades. A scent I had not come across before and no other oil minus maybe partially the royal lao has.

The other day I heated a wild Assam chip curtesy of the kind generous and awesome @Alkhadra and low and behold: shah jahan clearly in high fidelity jumped out of this wood. So much so that I realized Abdullah is crafting oils like @Taha , Ie no aux notes no decoration. Purely oleoresin.

Fhi too is identical note to the old HK sinesis wood I have been blessed to try.

Message: contact Malik and the team at al hashimi and get as much of this wood as you can, esp if you missed out on shah jahan or like to see it for yourself.

@Abdullah i welcome your input. I am just being a messenger of what my Nose is picking Up and my brain confirming.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  5. Bryan-I

Bryan-I Oud Fan

Nightly Feel Oud Mysore incense coupled with some Hindi from Agarwood Assam

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

6. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

Vietnamese Incense Stick & RBO's Ceylon Oud Shavings on the Coal: And listening to Savage Garden's "I'm addicted to the madness..."! Santal whiffs and Vietnamese wafts intermingle and here I get different patterns of dancing incense-y smoke. A lofty blend of aromatic waves are there to gently fondle me.

Mud burner and coal! Yes, it is there to complement Oud and Santal.

alcolado glacial and PEARL like this.
  7. Abdullah

Abdullah Junior Member

Aaah @Rasoul Salehi l thank you for the compliment. I cannot stress enough how difficult it was and how much travel it took to find Proper wild wood. Wild wood good enough to pass our exacting and rigorous tests. Batch after batch was refused. So much so, that I had to extend my stay considerably as @Faizal_p and @Faheem will be able to tell you. After the wood was purchased, it was thoroughly check and a lot of time was spent breaking small slivers from random pieces and heating to check the scent was as we wanted.

Take a look at the pictures we have uploaded and some of the independent reviews and you will find that the wood is so compact and so dense that the scent keeps on coming and coming along with the resin for a long period of time. I am confident in saying you will be very hard pressed to find wood of similar quality.

The ‘techniques’ involved in the distillation are something we have developed ourselves over the years from all the experimental distillations we have conducted and the copious amounts of notes we have taken recording the results. Each time parameters were slightly changed or we came up with and tried something completely new. Sometimes the results were what we expected and wanted, sometimes total failure and everything in-between, and sometimes we were blown away.

We have shelves filled with the resulting oils that will never be released. But what we have learnt along this journey in my opinion has been invaluable and has given birth to our own loose “philosophy”. It’s a ‘Horses for Courses’ kind of thing and before each distillation is conducted, we sit and plan in minute detail how it is going to be conducted. This same philosophy was applied to Fragrant Harbour Imperiale and other ongoing projects in Vietnam, Borneo and Philippines amongst others.

Something you will hear us say many times is that it is a ‘Labour Of Love’ and we wouldn’t have it any other way.

8. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

I tried hard to convince myself to the notion or hunch that Oud oil x, y, or z emits the same notes that are present in the wood of that very oil, but NOW couldn't. After five to ten minutes, Oil becomes just oil, and wood even after being heated for hours don't turn to be oil at all. Then I felt or realized that some crisp and salty or bitter notes in oils I kept naming 'similar to wood on a coal'. But it is learnt that wood is wood, and oil is just oil.

Nowadays, I am indulged in studying dry-down, or better say the aroma a wearer gets after three to four hours as I have sensed that Assam/ Meghalaya Oud oils, be that high priced or low priced, turn to be one and the same in the end. Difference lies in opening notes. It is just a crude opinion that needs experimentation and more wearing for the sake of reaching a final verdict. I strongly hope that some new members, I mean those who haven't developed any attraction or repulsion for any brand, consciously or unconsciously, post their findings after wearing some oils from the same region or species, but of different prices. Especially Hindi oils.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  9. sami

sami Oud Fan

Rasoul Salehi likes this.
  10. Rasoul Salehi

I hear you and understand what you mean. My love affair with opening top notes too is fading and more and more I find myself interested in the “last words” of an oil

11. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

... and those last words really die out into the abyss of monotony and boredom.

12. Rasoul Salehi

For many oils yes. But these damn sultan series oils are soul stirring to the very end.

Oudamberlove likes this.
  13. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

Hindis, both high priced and low priced, shared the same dry-down.

Burmese, both high priced and low priced, shares the same dry-down.

Chinese/ Thai, both high priced and low priced, share the same dry-down.

This is why I said a couple of days before that, in the end, all senkohs and sultans, generations, imperiales and non-senkohs and sultans , non-generations and non-imperiales are knit with the same string.

First hour is the only time that smells high priced.

14. hassam mac

hassam mac Oud Fan

Yes uncle munir very right said and very true ,
    Sent from my HTC Desire 626 dual sim using Tapatalk

Oudamberlove likes this.
  15. Rasoul Salehi

It show some brother. It shows. When respected vendors who are known to be picky sing your praises you know you have not only arrived but you were there without others knowing. I am stoked to follow rest of your journey and see a major philipino oil or maluku or neighboring areas offered by iO. pls age it though and shoot for the skies.

Oudamberlove, Joe King and Arsalan like this.
  16. Rasoul Salehi

I have to humbly and respectfully disagree. Not all. And I suspect that is when the artisan vendors know how to price a given oil. Not on its opening but the behavior of drydown.

Purple kinam drydown is anything but. Oud Ahmed drydown is like some unique resin (not wood) with old ancient musk tincture. Royal malinau drydown buzzes and refuses to let go of its heart notes. Remarkable really how this phenomenon happens.

17. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

Dear Rasoul, 'all' doesn't mean 'all'. Of course, exceptions are always there, but exceptions are not a criterion actually. And the same means not that much distinctive notes are observed in the end.

And my point is just the epilogue of Oud Drama. Prologue always sound beautiful. Trailer attracts. But the drama or movie ... ! Believe me, price is not the prominent point in my post. Just monotonous last hour.

I wish I could find even a fresh Musk tincture in any Oud, including this one. Musk maceration is absolutely impossible. I tried to collar some Musk tincture notes in oils that smell petrol because some possible alcohol based Musk tincture was only there, but couldn't. If I count, there will be at least ten oils where, it is said, Musk had been found by some/ many. Those who found are fortunate enough.

Oudamberlove and Rasoul Salehi like this.
  18. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

Tonight

I rekindled some EO Brunei Kinam
    and some Shoyeido Mini Woodchips.

Low heat....

but later some incense stick for smoke:Whistling:

Chip Burns, sami and Rasoul Salehi like this.
  19. Woodland Note

Woodland Note Oud Fan

Maybe it’s stupid of me, but I’m wondering... Does the dry-down in oud oils is an effect of general collective intensity of all kinds of oud molecules contained in a particular oil, or is it more on the side like it is in perfume blends, some molecules that are responsible for the top notes are disappearing faster and some which are the base notes and also the core, are the last to go. One doesn’t fully exclude the possibility of another but...

20. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

I am guessing that the wood used and the way an oil was distilled, would affect the drydown. Also, aging and oxidation will affect it.

Woodland Note likes this.

Promote Oud!