Burn Of The Day/night

Discussion in 'Scent of the Day/Night' started by jalil, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Ashfaque

Ashfaque Analogue Oud

Earlier today: KZ Malaysia Classic & tiny amount of deer musk skins and brownish innards.

Rasoul Salehi and Sproaty like this.
  2. Rasoul Salehi

Rasoul Salehi Oud Fanatic

the KZ malay incense stick is AWESOME. some of the bet yet. is as precious to me if not more than many kinam heavy sticks. treasure it. enjoy

tyson, Ashfaque, PEARL and 3 others like this.
  3. alcolado glacial

alcolado glacial Oud Fan

sinking Sumatra rbo
    Malaysia classic incense stick KZ. Indeed very good , it's got that sweet oud oomph that you smell instantly. no waiting for the smoke to clear.

4. Rasoul Salehi

Virgin Sumatra island by feel oud
    Lovely stuff. for scenting the room and close by listening. Awfully close to the scent of the oil by same name from adam. A unique bitter green blue salty sweet note. Jolly rancher like fruit sweet/sour note. For the price is very much a steal and highly recommended.

5. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

Wild Thai by IO?:confused:

Chip Burns and Sproaty like this.
  6. Sproaty

Sproaty Boudly

7. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

tyson and Sproaty like this.
  8. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

Tigerwood by EO: Yes, it is tigerwood. Very pleasant and transporting it is.

tyson, Joe King and Sproaty like this.
  9. sami

sami Oud Fan

Night time smoke session: EO Port Moresby basic, sinking walla chips from brother Tayib, hindi chips from Agarwood Assam and finally mysore sandal shavings from Tyson with omani frankincense resin.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

10. Rasoul Salehi

Baaaaam. What a night

sami, Sproaty and tyson like this.
  11. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

Just got home from work...
    I’ve got a stick of Gyokushodo Woodland (Mori no Sho) burning while I shower.

If you never tried incense while showering or bathing, then you ought to try it one day:)

alcolado glacial, sami and Sproaty like this.
  12. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

Gently heated Cambodi Chips
    Koh Kong type

Sproaty likes this.
  13. Sproaty

Sproaty Boudly

had some Assam wood from Agarwood Assam burning earlier, now I've put on some opponax

sami likes this.
  14. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

A perfect session.

sami likes this.
  15. Grega

Grega Oud Fan

I've been to the woods today collecting fragrant materials. This is what I picked out from these to burn as incense:
    rsz_img_20180925_122316.jpg
    A type of lichen, thistle (it smells wonderful, sweet and slightly indolic in the background, really strong), abies alba resin (better for burning than spruce resin as there is less smoke), fragrant wood from that same fir tree and some green resin from the same tree (the tree had a deep hole where you could get different things from different depths, the green being the innermost) and spruce resin. Together these make for a unique forest scent and when I get a distiller I will try to make a simple attar with these ingredients. Already thinking of proportions :D

I used these as an incense mix but without spruce resin which overpowers the others and emits too much smoke.
    Surprisingly the lichen, which has but a faint scent in raw form, was the strongest aspect of the blend, so I put some away when the blend was burning to get more balance as it's fungi earthy scent (better than the oakmoss oils I smelled) overpowered the sweet resin and thistle. Will be trying a different ratio next time. A wonderful scent fills the room now. Quite different to the traditional incense I am used to yet just as beautiful.

rsz_img_20180925_131809.jpg

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  16. Woodland Note

Woodland Note Oud Fan

It’s looking delicious... :D I mean pleasantly fragrant. :) I’m glad to hear that you were able to find my beloved abies :Thumbsup:
    I’m looking forward to reading about your distillation adventure. I’m genuinely curious about the distillation of European fir resin or/and cones.

Is that a carduus flower? How it smells when heated?

Grega and Oudamberlove like this.
  17. Grega

Grega Oud Fan

Yes! I was so glad to find some Abies with resin! It is a unique scent, very nice, softer than spruce and behaves like frankincense in regards to how much smoke it makes. I used too little in this incense blend, next time I will use much more.

That is indeed a carduus flower as far as I know. A bit different than the regular ones from meadows and very fragrant. The scent was surprising when I put it on charcoal, almost no burnt smell, a continuous flowery radiance, sweet with some nice aspects that remind me of green tea, works really well in a blend. I wonder if it will retain the fragrance when I dry it.

I really really look forward to the time when I will have a distiller and will be able to try to distill all these interesting fragrances! Probably in summer. Meanwhile I'll be storing more resin and lichen and other stuff I find.

How are your tincturing experiments going?

Update:
    I smelled this thistle flower and RP Musk Rose - there is a resemblance here that I did not only imagine. A fresh juicy citrusy Rose smell of Musk Rose smells really close to my lovely thistle flower!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  18. Ashfaque

Ashfaque Analogue Oud

Sumatran chips (FO) and B. sacra resin.

19. Sproaty

Sproaty Boudly

wow @Grega that's awesome! I laughed at "hole in the tree to find stuff" - interesting :)
    I thought that lichen looked like oakmoss in the picture.

I am burning some oud from Al Shareef's "The Scented Month" - I believe it's walla patta, filling up the room nicely. I quite like it because it's already cut and I just flatten it a bit to put on my burned. I've been using a scissors to cut other bigger pieces of wood and always end up making a mess and probably wasting some in dustings, need to find a more efficient way to slice and dice my bigger pieces

Rai Munir and Grega like this.
  20. Grega

Grega Oud Fan

Hehe the hole was like a treasure chest :D with some bugs crawling ;)

It might be oakmoss but I am no expert when it comes to the classification of lichens. Just know the three major groups...

I need to get me some agarwood chips to burn in the future.

I use pliers to make smaller chips of my palo santo wood. Much better than scissors :Thumbsup:

Woodland Note likes this.

Promote Oud!