Burn Of The Day/night

Discussion in 'Scent of the Day/Night' started by jalil, Sep 15, 2016.

1. KHH

KHH Whats this Oud About?

I will Rai/ thanks

2. Ashfaque

Ashfaque Analogue Oud

Virgin Sumatran Island chips Feel Oud. Perfect for our windy and cold weather.

Update: It is been on a KZ style heater for more than 60 minutes and still giving off heavenly aromas. Can't thank KZ enough.:handok::thumbsup::)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  3. Royhalwood

Royhalwood Whats this Oud About?

Today I tried East Indonesian from Oudimentary and I'm not convinced. Anyone try this one before?

tyson likes this.
  4. Rasoul Salehi

Rasoul Salehi Oud Fanatic

me too and i agree with you. meh wood

Royhalwood and tyson like this.
  5. jalil

jalil Oud bully Staff Member

You try on charcoal or electric burner?

Royhalwood likes this.
  6. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

KZ Brunei Heartwood
    sweet and perfumey on low to medium heat
    and some Shoyeido chips....
    nice aroma also. I just can’t pinpoint the region of the Shoyeido. It’s very fragrant at room temperature like the KZ Brunei, but has a different profile.
    A Kodo Master I am “Not”:(

Ashfaque and Rasoul Salehi like this.
  7. Rasoul Salehi

KZ brunei heartwood is unlike any other brunei wood i have tried to date, not to mention smelling of no oil from brunei i tried to date. more vietnamese like. even hints of nha trang. i wonder if its a different species than the typical microcarpa/klampei.

Kyarazen, Oudamberlove and Ashfaque like this.
  8. Ashfaque

Ashfaque Analogue Oud

Wild Assam chips that I won from @Habz786 - lovely sweet, vanillic and incensy wood. They're just too good to burn regularly! :)

Habz786, Oudamberlove and Joe King like this.
  9. Royhalwood

Royhalwood Whats this Oud About?

To reply to both of you.
    I tried to heat it on differents ways. But similar for a non very pleasant scent. But I think I have a "end of bag". Half of the wood is powder and little chips looks so dry. And to not arrange the experience they gave me a sample of an amber oud blend which gave its scent to the wood which was not in a sealed bag. So I dont know.. Maybe I will try a new time with them but not soon...

jalil likes this.
  10. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

I did wonder why the KZ Brunei heartwood didn’t smell like the Brunei oils I tried. Plus, it doesn’t match the descriptions given by some fellow ouddicts of the Brunei chips they burned/heated. I like your theory of a Vietnamese-like species.
    Tomorrow I will heat some Brunei chips that I got from EO four years ago, and do a comparison.

048BAC15-BD7A-406C-9A05-4428F91945F0.jpeg

On a different topic, I’ve got some Malaysian slivers in a vial for a 30 day soak, then I will dry them for a day, toss them on a heater, and see how it turns-out. If I can achieve barn in a good way, I will try other regions also.
    AD57811F-920E-4308-AEAA-BE17AC319F82.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    jalil and Rasoul Salehi like this.
  11. Rasoul Salehi

I have tried 5 different Brunei agarwood and all similar to one another with minimum sweetness more bitter green balsamic note. Except kz.

tyson likes this.
  12. tyson

tyson Oud Alchemist

IMG_0678[1].JPG Pau D'arco bark tea on the left and cut up palo santo A grade on the right heating on very low .Citrus woodsy candy sweet pineapple creamy goodness slowly filling the house , mmm so good

Ashfaque, Rai Munir, Joe King and 3 others like this.
  13. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

I fired-up some of that Brunei I got from EO years ago, then followed it by the KZ Brunei Heartwood,
    different animals indeed. EO’s has a wonderful floral with mild fruitiness, while KZ’s contrasts it with a sweet creamy woody oudiness.

Ashfaque and tyson like this.
  14. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

I had to abort my attempt to soak some slivers for 30 days. After only three days, I noticed some formations which appear to be mold or oleoresin escaping the wood. When I drained the water and smelled it, the water was perfumed like hydrosol with no moldy smell, but when I heated the chips, the scent was spicier and weaker than before the soak. Here are pictures of the formations I observed:
    E45486D6-BDFA-46A5-ABD6-4CBE636F47C9.jpeg 37B79E31-6131-4B2A-9268-F137C6782127.jpeg 371CE1B1-CA0B-4FE3-AA3A-DFC5557BC2E2.jpeg

I don’t think I will experiment with soaking my chips anymore:Geek::Geek::Geek:

Joe King, jalil and tyson like this.
  15. AbasFrag

AbasFrag Oud Burner

Super interesting experiment!! Thanks for sharing it with us here.

Then what if you try soaking it while it’s in the fridge. Maybe no mold will occur :Whistling:

Don’t stop experimenting :Devilish:
    We need some crazy scientists lool!

16. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

Do you suppose that it’s mold, not oleoresin seeping out of the wood?

17. Kyarazen

Kyarazen Artisan

:p does my sample happen to be the only heartwood sample amongst them all? this is the only grade we use with tea today.. aside from kyara :p locally amongst tea drinkers, this bruneian material is the only one that fools many.. that they thought real kyara/kynam was used in tea, except the price difference is easily 50-100x cheaper

the vanillic notes from aged heartwoods is reminiscent of the scent of old books, complex vanillin notes from lignin breakdown. such notes go very well with aged liubao/pu-erh teas

18. Oudamberlove

Oudamberlove Member

Near bedtime, not enough time for a swipe, so onto my heater goes a few slivers of Baieido Ogurayama Old Stock. Very lovely Sweet Vietnamese!!

jalil likes this.
  19. Rasoul Salehi

@Kyarazen hi WS. always a pleasure to hear from you. yes indeed. all other brunei pieces have been shells, skins or larger xylem pieces. i fully agree with you that there is a remarkable resemblance of the brunei heartwood to kyara (yellow/green/black) as i know it. brunei kinam offered via ensar is equally special. much more perfumed but a very different profile. not kyara as i know it, yet unlike any other agarwood.

Oudamberlove and Rai Munir like this.
  20. Mobeen.Imran

Mobeen.Imran Oud Fan

Manaban classis incense stick by kyara zen courtesy of a fellow ouddict.

Promote Oud!