Burn Of The Day/night

Discussion in 'Scent of the Day/Night' started by jalil, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Ouddict

Ouddict Technical Support

Apologies for spamming the threads, but from previous experience, we have noticed that members do not take note of messages on the forum announcement, hence we have had to cover important threads.

Dear Forum Member,

We would like to notify you of this year's annual International Artisanal Agarwood Fayre, which will be held between 11am and 6pm in Woking, UK, this Saturday 14th April.

What is the International Artisanal Agarwood Fayre?
    It is your chance to come and meet forum members as well as experience:

- The latest offerings from Imperial Oud, La Maison Khenata and Al Hashimi
    - Private collections of Oud oils and agarwood
    - Some of the rarest Oud oils and woods available
    - Scent notes of different agarwood species and grades that will be burned at the Fayre
    - Behind-the-scenes glimpse of the agarwood industry

Participating Vendors.
    Imperial Oud
    La Maison Khenata
    Al Hashimi (products only, as Malik Al Khadra is unable to travel in time)

Free Oud Prizes!
    Participating vendors have pledged samples to be given out as prizes during the Fayre!

No Entry Fee
    Please Note that there is NO CHARGE for entry and if you are from the UK, this is a golden opportunity to seriously expand your experience and knowledge of Oud. We have confirmed attendees traveling from the USA and France, so if you are local, make the effort to come as the rewards are huge.

Location and Directions.
    By Car: Woking is near Heathrow Airport and off Junction 11 on the M25.Once you exit junction 11 you follow the A320 into Woking.
    By Train: There is a train service from London Waterloo Station that takes 25 minutes to reach Woking. The venue is 10 minutes walk from the station.

If you would like to attend, please notify Ouddict or Habz786 via PM to receive further details.

Yours Faithfully,
    Ouddict and Habz786 on behalf of Ouddict Forum Management

2. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

'Small is beautiful'. Confirmed and approved.

Sir, I want your guidance regarding one thing: Coal or electric heater, which one is to be preferred? Putting aside subjective preference.

Thanks

3. Anwar

Anwar Whats this Oud About?

I'm no guide. Here's some of what the Agar Aura proprietor said:

Gen3 wood heating consists of “pumps” and “cruises”. And it requires veryhigh grade agarwood. Ideally, you’ll use an electric censer with a voltage adjustor, but if you don’t have that then you can still have the Gen3 experience on charcoal.

The idea is to expose the wood chip to a few different levels of heat systematically. Coupled with a voltage adjustor, an electric censer (like this one) is of course the most convenient option. With plain ol’ charcoal, you will need to build two mini mounds of ash on top of the lit charcoal, one mound bigger than the other. You’ll then have to juggle the wood chip between the two mounds and even (briefly) place the chip directly on the charcoal.

Yes, the core concept of Gen3 heatingIS low-temperature emission of the oleoresin vapors. But the idea is to enjoy the experience of “the first whiffs” over and over.. and over again.

To do this, the chip is allowed to exude however much fragrant vapor that it can, at the lowest possible heat (we want to release the fragrance, not burn it!), but it will need gentle nudges to keep this going. i.e. bursts of higher heat or “pumps“, followed by a drastically lower heat setting or “cruises“.

Typically, the resin in western (Indian and Indo-Chinese) species of agarwood is the softest and so the temperature fluctuations are less dramatic, whereas far-east (e.g. Papuan and Filipino) species have much harder resin, that will require significantly higher-temperature pumps.

A typical Gen3 style Cambodian agarwood session can look something like this:
    1) Select a 2mm x 2mm x 5mm sliver of agarwood (too thin or too thick, it won’t be optimal)
    2) Pump: set the voltage to MAX until the moment you start to smell the vapors just starting to rise
    3) Cruise: instantly drop the voltage to a lower setting where the vapor still rises in earnest
    4) Cruise 2: drop the voltage further down to ensure acrid notes don’t emerge (some of the oil, that was acting as a heat buffer, has already vaporized so some of the wood fibres can now start to combust = acrid smell)
    5) Pump 2: briefly crank up the heat again to liquify oleoresin in deeper pockets inside the wood
    6) Cruise 3: drop the voltage down even lower than steps #3 and #4
    7) Pump 3: once you start to sense that some acrid notes might emerge, remove the chip and let it cool down for about 5 seconds. Flip the chip and place it back on the censer and verybriefly crank up the heat one last time
    8) Cruise 4: lowest temperature setting cruise.

So what’s actually going on here?
    By liquifying/liberating trapped pockets of oleoresin via pumps and then releasing them via cruises, what you’re doing is constantly re-living the “first wisps” experience over and over again.
    Best of all, you get to experience that with not only the lightest compounds, but also the deepest heaviest compounds from the innermost pockets inside the wood too. Booyah!

Your arch-nemesis (at least in the case of the Gen3 heating style) is the aroma of combusting wood fibres. The wood smell is not necessarily a bad thing, especially in the case of oh-so-rare batches of ambiently-aromatic wood (did you miss out on our Filipino wood? *gasp* shame on you!), but the core principle behind Gen3 is simple: release the isolated aroma of the “good stuff” aka “the black stuff” aka the oleoresin, without the interference of other scents from the wood.
    After all, we reach for dark, sickly resinated agarwood and not pale cream-colored slabs of bunk grade wood, right? Its the “good stuff” we’re after.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    Royalbengalouds likes this.
  4. Anwar

Anwar Whats this Oud About?

Others, like the "Exotic Scents" reviewer mention that coal is ideal for fumigating the skin, clothing and hair. I have used electric burners, but not ceramic, and I've used coal. The best fragrance experience I've had though, is crushed chips on aluminum foil, on top of an electric stovetop. The heat, to me, is more even than my incense burner and more powerful, capable of low temp heating and high. I have experienced more with it from the same wood than with other burners, finding dozens of fragrances from some chips, to the extent that a friend and I would write lists of everything we found coming out in the smoke and/or vapor. The only problem is that it produces a lot of heat, so to get close, one must be patient with the slow roasting of one's face.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  5. Alkhadra

Alkhadra "Master Kafeel" Resident Artisan

Why is this thread dead? No burners? :Roflmao:

Burn of the day: Socotran Frankincense followed by sinking Walla Patta chips, ask me if I'm dizzy.

6. AZsmell

AZsmell Oud Fan

Russian Adam's Maroke Life wood on a subitism. This wood seems good for fumigating. Not the most resinated wood but a good scent profile at a great price. Can't beat $3.50/ gr.

Royalbengalouds and Alkhadra like this.
  7. Arsalan

Arsalan Oud Fan

Got some Sri Lankan sandalwood from RBO on the heater. Ish was kind enough to include a sample with my purchase, but I think I’m certainly going to be purchasing some! Doesn’t have the Mysore spicy notes, but still a beatiful sandal scent, also the shavings require no prep, perfect for electric heaters. Thanks @Royalbengalouds !

8. alcolado glacial

alcolado glacial Oud Fan

Kyarazen incense sticks : Central Cambodia, Malaysia classic, Eight milleniums, Ambergris

All were wonderful, I find it hard to isolate the notes but i did get a hint of saltyness and musk in the ambergris stick. Eight Milleniums has a real exotic and more of an incense blend scent ,with the quality that kyarazen always delivers ; all have that beautiful deep oudy base underneath it. Malaysia classic more of a sweet agarwood scent and Cambodia a bit darker smelling like the wood chips themselves. I also received a sample stick with the word Assam on it. A bit less refined than Cambodia but the effects on the mind was the most intense of all . I had trouble standing up! lol

The Kalalkassi sample was divine of really high quality, i was not so fond of Al-Ghaliya, but that is a matter of taste. I can really smell the taif rose and i don't like the smell of rose in attars. I do appreciate the blend itself as it contains that kalakassi base ambergris misk sandalwood oil and others….

Kyarazen and company have done a real good job and i totally recommend them if Quality and exellence is important to you!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  9. Ashfaque

Ashfaque Analogue Oud

If possible, try KZ's incense on his subitism style burner. You'll love them even more! :)

10. Alkhadra

Burn.png

Found a piece of Filipino Oud with a hole in it. So I put a piece of Hojari Frankincense in it, then let it slowly burn.. :Inlove:

11. F4R1d0uX

F4R1d0uX Resident Artisan

@Alkhadra how is your socotran franckincense ? Once @hedycent sent me some, it As quite dark and honestly it's the best franckincense I smelt instead of citrus you get orange peel. If I find a good lot of this one, I'd certainly put it on the store for people, for me better than green hojari, all royal grades ect ect ...

12. Alkhadra

I was actually just telling a friend of mine how socotran frankincense is the best ever I've tried, it's so beautiful. Agreed 100% on the orange peel.

I have to say I also agree that it's better than hojari, I think Hojari Frankincense is like Hindi Oud. The most famous and recognizable, but not necessarily the best.

I only burnt hojari this time because I'm out of Socotran. :Unsure:

RisingPhoenix likes this.
  13. KHH

KHH Whats this Oud About?

My first burn with mica sheets..
    i tried frankincense first and then put on some cinnamon +tonka powder .
    aromas were sweet / but it took quite sometime to fill the room .
    Pleasant experience i would say ;
    will try more combos going forward. :) 1528258779772.jpg

PS> i tried the same combo on charcoal directly . Everything burned so fast and so much fumes. Nothing sweet about it.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    alcolado glacial and Alkhadra like this.
  14. Alkhadra

Sounds lovely! What type of frankincense did you use? Oh, and how does Tonka powder smell burning? :Whistling:

15. KHH

KHH Whats this Oud About?

tonka powder on coal is no good (by experience) / the heat is too much .
    It has a sweet aroma given some heat . It is a substitute for vanilla in food recipes.
    frankincense is normal grade (got from turkey)
    i am just a beginner so i m not into high grade ingredients yet.

Alkhadra and Rasoul Salehi like this.
  16. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

Tibetan Incense (RBO) and Vietnamese Incense Sticks: After a pretty long time, incense stick is here to get mesmerized. Ish gifted me some Tibetan Incense. The ancient Lamai meditation oriented culture is there in each waft. Serenity is what is infused in these Incense Sticks. Before lighting a stick up, I was of the view that the aroma is more than sharp, but when it started burning, it was all collective calmness of Lamas that was there.

Just after burning Tibetan Incense, I tried a Vietnamese Incense stick as well. Soft and silky. But the olfactorial bliss was present in Tibetan Incense is classical.

17. Rasoul Salehi

Rasoul Salehi Oud Fanatic

excellent stuff. looking forward to share my impressiosn when i get the above.

alcolado glacial likes this.
  18. Rasoul Salehi

Rasoul Salehi Oud Fanatic

comparing the filipina wood from alhashimi, IO, KZ and Taha (AA):

the only one sticking out as radically different is the one from IO. not so much in visual but scent. the scent is easily the most animal wood i have come across. is like heating white peppercorn. barny, animal, horse, and funk. there is a delicious sweetness running thru that keeps the funk in check and adds to the intrigue. not one for quiet (kodo) listening but one for scenting the room and smelling from afar. lingers forever.

other three sources despite quite different looking wood ( taha's all kyen and oil with no real resin vs non resin part/ al hashimi mix of resin and oil/ KZ fossilized looking and gnarly and old.) have very similar scent. nectars, forest honey and other darker honey, sweets, very very perfumy and delicious gourmand scent. quite powerful in its scent too.

will share pics tonight.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  19. Alkhadra

Wowwy! I'd really love to see photos if you could dear Rasoul! Especially of the fossilized KZ one. Sounds interesting. :Whistling:

It is very powerful delicious stuff, sometimes getting so fragrant you can almost taste it. I like to describe Filipino Oud as having an Umami flavor to it, quite savory.

Rasoul Salehi likes this.
  20. alcolado glacial

alcolado glacial Oud Fan

can't wait, i Always learn something from your observations.

Rasoul Salehi likes this.

Promote Oud!