Burn Of The Day/night

Discussion in 'Scent of the Day/Night' started by jalil, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

A long long session today. Not only olfactory, but whole body including dress basked in Mysore Sandal and Oud.

Today had some experiments as well. Respected Jimmie floated an idea, and today I executed that:
    1. First I placed some Siberian Musk grains on the already fully burnt chip of Oud. PLEASE DON'T TRY IT.
    2. Soaked an Oud chip in Musk Sandal maceration oil and then placed that chip on the coal. Well, there were some trails different, but not noteworthy.
    3. Rose wax (prepared on my own) and Ceylon Sandal: I threw a table spoon Ceylon Sandal crushed shavings into the Rose wax. A paste sort of incense. WELL, IT IS THE BEST EVER EXPERIENCE OF MINE OF HEATING SOMETHING. Rose and Sandal smoke. I kept heating it for thirty minutes consecutively. Even now, craving for more and more is escalating.

Well, I can't resist extracting Rose wax tomorrow, and will mix the jar full of Ceylon Sandal in that.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  2. VPhong

VPhong Oud Tea

Aging Incense - I love the aging process and the magical transformation that time brings. I have experienced it with tea, both from the wood and oil of ouds and today I am enjoying the contrast between 2 incense pastes from last year. The darker paste is a batch from Jan 2017 whilst the lighter one is from later in the year in Oct. These were made from a blend of woods and resin, mixed with wild dark honey and pummeled in a paste and left to cure in storage. Today I was testing out several batches to see how they are coming along. The older paste is noticeably darker and deeper in aroma with a spicy wood and a slight cacao note. The younger paste is more raw and sharp with a woodier tone. The younger paste has a scent that feels somewhat fragmented as the components have yet to really meld together, and lack the softness to the overall profile. The older paste is ready and that means I have some work ahead of me now in the coming weeks as I want to finish off a batch of Frankincense Nerikoh balls.

Attached Files:

3. Rasoul Salehi

Rasoul Salehi Oud Fanatic

In anticipation of receiving the filipina no 1 an agar aura oil in near future I thought I revisit the wood. Full Sinking and dark as a black bears behind ;)

Compelling. Special. You know you are in presence of something great when you go nice and slow and then go high heat for few seconds then back down. So much going on. Terra Rosa clay. Manuka honey. Clean and mostly dry forest floor. Old leatherback antique book. I don’t know why but first time ever I am getting ambergris notes in oud. A very silver border line white piece. Remarkable. Pretty high price and not one I would back up the truck for but wish I had a bit more. Few grams more even.

Here is a look of the piece. Super dense.

Attached Files:

4. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

Leather and then book and both antique! Imagery is perfect to smell it from thousands of kilo meters. Cheers! No cocktail is needed. A Solo Sonata it is!

5. Rasoul Salehi

Rasoul Salehi Oud Fanatic

Is really beautiful stuff @Rai Munir . Mind blowing good and best yet is this wood offers a totally new profile. Just Ike how unique filaria is or Walla Patta before its relatively recent discovery. Is highly unique.

6. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

Thai Oud (FO), then Mysore Sandal (IO), then Ceylon Sandal and Rose Wax Paste: Now I am a 'fragrant harbour':Roflmao:. Difficult to sleep as the aroma has absorb in me. Even after changing dress, my hands, beard, and the room are that much fragrant that I feel like drifting in the the aromatic wafts of Oud Sandal and Sandal Rose.

7. Chip Burns

Chip Burns Oud Fan

Friend of mine on umrah sent me this pic via FB... now this looks like a job for me!! job4me.jpg

8. Mandeel AlMandeel

Mandeel AlMandeel Oud Geek Staff Member

What an amazing picture thank you for sharing...

Zarrar and Chip Burns like this.
  9. hedycent

hedycent Oud Fan

Do you know if it's pure agarwood or bakhoor?

10. Chip Burns

Chip Burns Oud Fan

I would not know as to what is in the burner and doubt that my friend would either... however I do know that Agarwood was being procured for use in Masjid-ul Nabawi in Medina up till 2008 .. but dont know if it was burnt as is or incorporated into a bakhoor blend.

11. Mandeel AlMandeel

In holy kabaah they use only high quality oils and Agarwood no synthetics...

AbasFrag, hedycent, sami and 2 others like this.
  12. sami

sami Oud Fan

subhanallah...very nice.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Mandeel AlMandeel and Chip Burns like this.
  13. hedycent

hedycent Oud Fan

That makes the thoughts of it being a bakhoor all the more interesting

AbasFrag and Chip Burns like this.
  14. VPhong

VPhong Oud Tea

On a personal level there is no greater satisfaction than getting my hands dirty, feeling the ache in the joints and creating something of value that can be appreciated. Spending most of my free time finishing off the first batch of Nerikoh incense balls for 2018. As the day ends enjoying the whiffs of aroma coming from splinters of wood that survived the heavy pounding from the mortar and pestle. I picked out the splinters from the incense paste to heat. Nothing goes to waste. The incense balls are coming along albeit with much effort. The beautiful scent of green frankincense starts off the aromatic journey followed by warm spicy notes of wood, dark honey and the aroma of early aging from the 1 year curing of the paste. Feeling very content.

Chip Burns, tyson, Ouddict and 9 others like this.
  15. Mandeel AlMandeel

Look so lovely mashallah!

Chip Burns and VPhong like this.
  16. VPhong

VPhong Oud Tea

Thank you dear Mandeel. I love quality handcrafted products that are made with passion and have an artists unique stamp on them. Therefore I create products in a similar vein.

17. Chip Burns

Chip Burns Oud Fan

gonna try and link a video from FaceBook

OK awesome that worked... was trying out some new coals since the post office lost my shipment from Shoyeido ... buddy of mine recommended these, hard to light but they do last long with little to no unpleasant or pleasant emissions of their own. The wood is a "Malizi AA grade" chip I had procured back in 2006. and a little time-laps never hurts... since you cant smell it might as well get it over with fast.:thumbsup:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  18. sami

sami Oud Fan

Burned some assam wood and somalian frankincense received from brother Ish! Very nice aroma and great quality for the price. Highly recommend buying from brother Ish. Very honest seller and extremely generous with samples!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

19. Rai Munir

Rai Munir Musk Man

@Rasoul Salehi
    First, I don’t use an electric heater. At the moment I have no such desire to use that as the very sight of wires, switches, etc. seem alien to me. Second, charcoal doesn’t disturb me at all. I can easily sense and smell what is being heated.

Well, Sandal emits quite fine aroma if heated, not burnt. Even a few granules or chips will do. First, I heat Frankincense, and let it burn entirely. Frankincense resin creates a layer on the charcoal. Moreover, till then, the chunk of coal develops enough ashes that reduce its strength. Then I place an Oud chip to heat. Moderate temperature liberates aroma present inside the chip. When the chip gets fully burnt, I wipe the residues of Oud away, and here comes Sandal. When I place granules on the layer of frankincense, Sandal wakes up from its slumber. No quick burning at all. No smoke at all. Just wafts of Sandal and just Sandal. I heat Sandal chips at least three times, and it takes pretty long time. Chips never gets black when I place them last time. But aroma gets more subtle and lasting. Frankincense layer is a kind of stabilizer. Thus, I prefer it.

It depends upon experience how to handle the charcoal. Sometimes, I miss heating Oud chips, and goes directly to Sandal. But it all depends upon my senses to measure the strength of temperature.

I have mixed Ceylon Sandal in Rose Wax. It emits unique aroma. No citrusy or lemonade Rose notes at all, nor does the aroma of dry petals, but Ceylon Sandal and Subcontinental Rose metamorphosed into an aged Sandal Rose blend aroma being carried by the evening air. It is Keats’ Dejection an Ode. But ‘sweet heartache’ it is.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  20. hassam mac

hassam mac Oud Fan

i totallay agree with u brother brother sami great products,very generous,exellent quality of products ,amazing price,and good person,highly recommended,great smelling,amazing.

Promote Oud!