Best Tool To Decant Precious Oud Oils?

Discussion in 'General' started by AbuTominaga, Sep 11, 2018.

1. AbuTominaga

AbuTominaga Whats this Oud About?

Hello Everyone!

I was wondering, what do you guys use to decant 0.5ml or even 0.25 ml of precious oud oils? Pipettes? Droppers?

I'm trying to make some sort of an Oud Library where i'm decanting 0.25ml of every oil I acquire, just to keep the smell profile available with me when needed.
    During the process sometimes you are faced with a very expensive oud oil that you don't want to lose a single drop of it.

So I was wondering if there are any tips in that regard!
    Thanks a lot.

Sproaty likes this.
  2. Sproaty

Sproaty Boudly

Good question, I used a pipette for some patchouli oil before and a lot got stuck in there, and it still smells of the oil 2 weeks onwards. I haven't decanted any ouds yet for the same reasons as you

AbuTominaga likes this.
  3. AbuTominaga

Welcome to the club i guess :/

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

4. Al Shareef Oudh

Al Shareef Oudh Resident Artisan

@AbuTominaga

for a hobbyist here is a simple cost effective trick; buy yourself a semi decent milligram scale from ebay/etsy that can accurately measure milligrams, place your vial on it and use the dipstick from your 1/4 toola bottle to measure the amount you wish to store away. Using the dip stick doesn't take too long and it is the most efficient and no wastage.

The scale you can use for many other things, so you aren't really out laying for something that wont have other use.

5. Ashfaque

Ashfaque Analogue Oud

I've been doing it for a while.

@AbuTominaga If you're careful, then it will save lot of hassle. That is how I share various oils with others.

Since I can be clumsy, I use Blutack to stick my vials on a flat and clean surface before starting the dip and remove process.

Joe King, AbuTominaga and Sproaty like this.
  6. PEARL

PEARL Guerrilla

The method that I use is disposable, graduated medical sterile 1ml or 3ml syringes with luer lock blunt tip needles. The needles are long and beveled which gets even those last bits out of bottles or v-vials. Just extract amount of oil and decant into new vessel, then you can actuate syringe plunger to "blow" any small amount out, which is minimal. After, take plunger out of syringe and wipe tip on self or cloth, virtually no loss and certainly no mess like trying to transfer using the applicator "dip and remove' and wiping into new vessel, plus the needle is long and narrow so it can be used to transfer to and from even the smallest bottle neck sample vials. Get some and thank me in samples.

https://www.gotomedsupply.com/bd-1-...MIoJqV9qGz3QIVxouzCh2vjQyxEAQYAiABEgIbHvD_BwE

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BD-Syringe...805963?hash=item1cb781908b:g:PvkAAOSwDGhazqHe

https://www.ebay.com/p/20-Medline-S...GA-1-1-2-Luer-Lock/573140444?iid=201825936623

7. Sproaty

Sproaty Boudly

Interesting Peal, good idea. I've just bought syringes for decanting sprays because I'm sick of spraying 50 times into a decant to get 10ml!

8. AbuTominaga

That's a good trick brother! Thanks a lot!

Will try it out in my next decanting session :D

I'll get the scales once I'm doing samples commercially

The way you stated it seems like the pros got another way of doing that, that might be more costly. What would that be if I may ask?

Thanks a lot brother. Shukran Jazeelan.
    Cheers bro.

9. AbuTominaga

This advice is almost as important as the dipping one. I'll surely keep that in mind. Crucial to minimize any chance of spilling the quarter tola.

Thanks again man.

Promote Oud!