Sahafi

While I found my happy zone with oud oils, as a diversion, master blender Sultan Pasha's Arabesque Noir is luxuriously self-indulgent:

TOP:

Taif Rose

MIDDLE:

Moroccan Rose, Honey,

BASE:

Muguet Base, organically grown Cambodi oud, Musk Gazelle, Amber, tobacco

Mr.P

oud<3er
The newest batch is not brutal at all but it is barely musky. Some weird sweet flowery synthetic stuff with only the faintest hint of the old musk scent. The stuff from a few years back was indeed very very intense and animalic. Their reformulation (assuming Zahra's sent me the correct oil) is just terrible. :(

Dorje

While I found my happy zone with oud oils, as a diversion, master blender Sultan Pasha's Arabesque Noir is luxuriously self-indulgent:
TOP:

Taif Rose

MIDDLE:

Moroccan Rose, Honey,

BASE:

Muguet Base, organically grown Cambodi oud, Musk Gazelle, Amber, tobacco
I recently got some new samples from Sultan Pasha and am very impressed. More refined, more luxurious, more elegant vs some of his first creations, and the ingredients are super high quality. Some of the florals are the same used in super high-$$ JAR fragrances like Jardenia and Bolt of Lightning. Real oud oils, some from Ensar, real musk, taif rose, etc... His blends aren't cheap now, but they will get more expensive as he becomes more well known I'm sure.

Here's a link to his ebay store:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/scents-rarity/m.html?ssPageName=STRK%3Anull%3AMESOI&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2654

peter4ptv

The newest batch is not brutal at all but it is barely musky. Some weird sweet flowery synthetic stuff with only the faintest hint of the old musk scent. The stuff from a few years back was indeed very very intense and animalic. Their reformulation (assuming Zahra's sent me the correct oil) is just terrible. :(
Thanks for the info Mr. P, yes I think Ajmal and ASAQ are following the footsteps of western houses with terrible reformulations. I order the Kashmir musk current release description say : “Genuine Musk from Kashmir , produced by ASQ.†But is some flowery muscone mix very weak and no silage at all, I am in a process of returning it this is what the asaq manger response to my return request:

<<<<>>>>>>>>

Also order the current asaq Roayl amber spirit, also very different from the previous version but I kind of like it and will keep it.

Also their current top oils Kalakassi and Kannam oud oils are horrible compare to the previous formulations.

At least I think the Ajmal top oud oils are still good.

at Dorje...

very happy to see that Sultan Pasha , my ol friend, continue his beautiful journey and make people happy with his outstanding creations…

I hope soon to try out his new stuff as well…

very exited…

Mr.P

oud<3er
I have had the best luck with rose otto from this source: http://bulgarianroseotto.com (Alteya Organics), pretty much direct from a coop in Bulgaria. Their shipping has been fast and their packaging is very professional.

As for true Mysore sandalwood, I think that is a harder thing to find, though there are lots of alternatives - Sri Lanka, New Caledonia, Vanuatu, Australia. I think the Australian plantation-grown Santalum album is actually not bad, though it does not have the mellow smoothness of Mysore oil.

I am sure you are aware of the ultra-premium stuff offered by Ensar and Taha... If I recall you were following along at BN, right? I haven't sampled those, so don't know how they compare to the traditional Mysore scent.

Mr.P

oud<3er
I'd like to get my hands on a slab of the wood itself. Always wanted some decent logs or cross-sections as a kind of natural sculpture. :)

Mr.P

oud<3er
Has anyone tried importing Australian sandalwood logs / slabs? Mt. Romance sells them but they only ship within Australia because of the cost of phytosanitary certificates (something like $300 per order of wood!).

One dream of mine is to get a decent sized cross-section of wood as a table decoration. Like a trivet kind of deal - could put tea pots on it when making tea, I imagine the hot teapot would push the fragrance of the wood into the air...

joel

Also I am considering ordering some ambergris from ambergris New Zealand and macerating it for a few years in jk special reserve Mysore. If I want to use around 1-2 tola of oil, how much ambergris should I use?

joel, I agree about the Pink Ambergris Attar! JK sent me a wee sample, and then I later purchased .7 of a gram. It is one of my prized possessions. I love the way that (on me, any), a tiny dab starts out kind of small-smelling, but then, within seconds, it unfurls in an almost explosive way. Hmm... maybe that's what you mean by "dynamite"?

jalil

Oud bully
for me attar = sultan pasha

jalil

Oud bully
so amazing I dont have the time to try the other vendors lol

yeh, I did.

It is a true classic.

I can not remember the individual notes but the overall impression was that it is a true classic with plenty of ingredients that creastes this amazing Oudy aura around you

Think of a traditional, dark, sweet oud attar by the famous Arabian brands.

Then just replace all the ingredients with the finest quality stuff.

Pure, quality ouds ( there are many different ones in it ) and pure essential oils …

jalil said:
I have tabac grande / ambre cuir / cafe ambre noir / resine precieuse / incense royale
All are outstanding attar with incredibke scent and longevity

I compare to my Amouage attar tribute and zahwa

Amouage are great but clearly hunder Sultan pasha in therm of complexity and longevity
I try samples yes sultan use all natural yes but some of Attars he use some synthetic as he said