language scent

True Woodict
what do you call it when people are afraid to criticize someone? like when a huge number of people buy for example a piece of wood, NONE of them are happy about this wood and yet no one leaves a review about this wood so then more people fall in the same trap of buying more of this wood LMAO

its a true RIDDLE. fear lurks in every corner of this forum or is it that people are just too nice?

language scent

True Woodict
think about how nice and good hearted people are, they will buy something, if that something is really bad, and when i say bad i dont just mean low grade, i mean smelling like plastic bad but they hate drama so they are just silent...maybe they are told that everyone else loved it or who knows what. then more good people fall to the same cycle. whats more important at the end of the day?

back a couple months ago i had a bad experience mind bending headaches everytime i used a dot with a needle....with a distilled oil and i didnt want to spread bad review because i am known to be a sensitive organism. things that bother me might not bother the other 90% of the population so instead of claiming anything and i just made a thread about how creating a good database of testing oils for chemicals etc could benefit people like me. finding out what chemicals are used to bloat oils etc and to be able to stay away from these products etc. so i know the feeling...we are all nice and care for one another but its just a bad thing to be happening in such an amazing place that people tell me about woods and when i ask why they tell me or not leave reviews or whatnot i dont get a good answer. and even worse i am left in the dark about what woods and who etc etc.

at the same time someone makes a post about some political blood sucking flee and people jump on this person from a 40story building lmao.

the real question is are we equally in love with precious and beautiful aromatics on the forum that is someones private home as i have learned the other day? just a honest topic

for me this forum has been such a blessing and an amazing ride and i am sure for many others as well. there is just something in the shadows that keeps eating away the curiosity patience.

Ouddict

Ouddict Co-Founder & Tech Support
what do you call it when people are afraid to criticize someone? like when a huge number of people buy for example a piece of wood, NONE of them are happy about this wood and yet no one leaves a review about this wood so then more people fall in the same trap of buying more of this wood LMAO

its a true RIDDLE. fear lurks in every corner of this forum or is it that people are just too nice?

I think people are too nice and/or fear the reaction from the vendor, or more cynically they want to pass it on and not lose money on the purchase and put it down to personal preference.

Mr.P

oud<3er
I value my relationship with experts in the field and the ability to have access to those with access to the global oud marketplace. I can handle people focusing on the positive (unless folks are writing fake positive reviews to curry favor) but 100% positive definitely undermines the credibility of the reviews overall

I think some of the reasons that I hesitate to write bad reviews include:

1) I don’t like to publicly shame someone when they make a mistake in general.

2) I definitely let vendors know if i have an issue with a specimen, and will be completely frank if someone direct messages me about something.

3) I don’t want to ruin my relationships / connections with vendors because I am looking to educate myself, and in this world, this is where the best information is found.

4) I think all of us hope to some degree that if we are able to find the beauty in the products we order, we will get a little extra sample with our orders or a little help in the process of learning and acquiring

5) if I have info. that a vendor is not behaving ethically, I just give their products a miss completely. Likewise mediocre or adulterated/ fake oils.

My advice to people wanting to get the best out of this site would be to:

*use this board mainly to identify exceptional products. this is a good place to read about oils that are well received, not a good place to find out about bad ones.

*People can be more honest in direct messages so ask questions by dm if curious.

*you have to read between the lines. For example, if i only see positive reviews of a vendor from one or two group members, and nobody else that is a red flag for me.

Honestly, though, all of the warnings and precautions I have received have been through direct messaging.

Depending on how much of a problem, this actually is, one solution might be to create anonymous poles for vendors. People could indicate the number of positive versus negative acquisitions and maybe rate 1-5 how customer complaints were handled, things like that.

I suppose this could be done for specific oils as well.

language scent

True Woodict
mr p, you said

1) I don’t like to publicly shame someone when they make a mistake in general.
so how would you feel if i started selling cultivated kinam as wild and every newbie loved it but when you bought it you knew right away it is cultivated? what if the "kinam" i sold you smelled like burning plastic LOL then what? why would you view sharing this with the community a public shame when in reality it is a public saveing from them spending hard earned cash on rubber or ck as wild kinam (rubber is just an example)

5) if I have info. that a vendor is not behaving ethically, I just give their products a miss completely. Likewise mediocre or adulterated/ fake oils.

but is it only about you in this situation or about the community?? you wouldnt care if someone else had to go through the same painfull loss of cash? i mean if they are a newbie then they wont know so they probably even enjoy it. so my question is is there moral in this?

i look around and i never see bad reviews anywhere. so many ebay etsy fakes out there and no one saving anyones ass we only do about the perfumist character who is probably the king of them all lol

Last edited:

Theo

Oud Beginner
I purchased an oil from a well respected vendor which fell far short of the description..rather than leave a negative public review I emailed the vendor with my honest opinion and see what their view was on the matter. Didn’t even receive a reply! Very poor customer relations and very disappointing.

Mr.P

oud<3er
I also take the approach of contacting the vendor directly. This is not a state run public forum. I am here as the guest of the people who pay for this site so even if it means being less forthcoming, i don’t really see any other viable option.

until we have some kind of an agreed system for handling negative reviews, I think I will just continue to share my experiences with things that I have enjoyed. I don’t pursue the things that I don’t like the smell of I just put them aside and move on. I don’t feel comfortable and have no interest in studying and describing oils i don’t like, and don’t want to write negative reviews based on brief sniffs only.

I would be happy to communicate with anybody by private message about specific oils etc. i have encountered a handful of oils over the years that didn’t seem ok to me.

I think new people should definitely know that what they will see here mostly are people writing about positive experiences with fragrances and sharing enthusiasm.

Mr.P

oud<3er
I purchased an oil from a well respected vendor which fell far short of the description..rather than leave a negative public review I emailed the vendor with my honest opinion and see what their view was on the matter. Didn’t even receive a reply! Very poor customer relations and very disappointing.
If someone were to direct message you, would you share the details?